Wanting to build a 1/48th F-15E..Which kit? Hasegawa or Revell Germany

Scan around EBay for the Pro Modeler version of the Revell kit. Lots of weapons with that boxing. The Academy kit blows dead bears! I had one and it was a mix of an A and a D and not very good either one. It even had the anti satelite missile in it!

The ProModeler boxing is quite rare, and for what it's worth, the extra weapons, while nice, are slightly inaccurate (still worth any extra in cost, you get 2 GBU-15 (and datalink pod), 4 GBU-10, 2 AIM-120, 2 LAU-128/ADU-155, plus the Lakenheath Tiger Meet tiger stripe scheme.

The Academy, while old and inaccurate for a E, should not be overlooked comletely; Academy recently released a F-15K, which is essentially a E with General-Electric engines. Very nice kit, take a look at it.

Hi guys,

I'm guessing the Revell offerings are cheaper too? Was only looking at an in progress build the other day in a hobby shop here of a Hase 1/48 kit, the guy would never finish it so left it in for the shop to recycle so to speak. It looked really really really nice, so if the Revell kit is better as ye all say, then wow!

Cheers

Glen

Yes, the Revell boxings are cheaper...especially if you have a Micheals near-by.

The ProModeler boxing is quite rare, and for what it's worth, the extra weapons, while nice, are slightly inaccurate (still worth any extra in cost, you get 2 GBU-15 (and datalink pod), 4 GBU-10, 2 AIM-120, 2 LAU-128/ADU-155

Read my pinned thread. The missile rails in the PM boxing are NOT LAU-128's/ADU-552's. It is true they are different than the ones you get in the other boxings, but they are in no way, shape or form accurate for ANY missile rail the F-15E has ever carried.

As I said in the pinned thread...don't waste your time/money on the PM boxing. None of the new weapons you get are accurate. Get some AIM-120's from a Tamiya F-16 kit, LAU-128's/ADU-552's from Shawn Hull, get GBU-10's from a Hasegawa Weapons Set D, don't sweat the GBU-15's and data link pod. Besides, if you are doing a bird from Operation Allied Force (where some GBU-15/AGM-130's were dropped) onward, the Strike Eagle has very rarely carried GBU-10's and -15's, the GBU-31 being the 2000 pound weapon of choice.

Don't worry about the Hasegawa kit. Like everyone else has said, it's really a Delta more than anything. Revell is the only game in town for an operational F-15E in 1/48. If you like the Hasegawa kit, you'll love the Revell.

The Academy, while old and inaccurate for a E, should not be overlooked comletely; Academy recently released a F-15K, which is essentially a E with General-Electric engines. Very nice kit, take a look at it.

Yeah, it should be overlooked. Even the F-15K has a lot of issues with it. The only thing it is good for is "part fodder" for the Revell kit to make it into a Kilo. And even then, you can really only use the Tigereye, centerline and CFT pylons, as there are MUCH better representations of the GE engines out there.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

The Academy kit blows dead bears!

Blows dead bears! This colorful descriptive ability comes from either a troubled childhood or you are Steven King!!!! With your permission I'm going to use it in the future ;>)

Mike

Except for the decals, they are the same kits.

The RoG Boxing has markings for a Tigermeet Mudhen from Lakenheath and for a Nellis Mudhen.

I think Revell Monogramm has markings for SJ and MO.

Greetings

Markus

I have both kits.......The Revell Monogram kit has the decals as described AND the Lakenheath Tigermeet '98 markings that are included with the RoG kit....The difference is that the Revell Monogram decals are more like aftermarket silkscreen decals (i.e they are shiny) and, therefore, far superior. The Revell Monogram kit also provides an extra weapons sprue (as previously indicated) so it is definitely the kit to go for....only problem is that they are hard to find.....The RoG kit is the more common issue.....

Don't forget that several companies produce some very fine decals for the F-15E so unless you really want the extra weapons it is no big issue....Great kit, BTW.

Tigerfan112

:yahoo:

I hope this has not been done to death, but, I am wondering about the Exhausts.

I read the review of the Aires Exhausts on the strike eagle page,

So those are out.

Is it worth going aftermarket? Is there a correct aftermarket, or can I just use the kit parts?

Thanks in advance.

Edited for spelling, and while I did a quick search, but I obviously missed the answer

Edited by Av8fan

I found the kit exhausts were just fine when carefully assembled, painted and weathered. The Eduard PE set provides some additional detail for the exhausts and I really thought the end product was quite convincing.

I hope this has not been done to death, but, I am wondering about the Exhausts.

I read the review of the Aires Exhausts on the strike eagle page,

So those are out.

Is it worth going aftermarket? Is there a correct aftermarket, or can I just use the kit parts?

Thanks in advance.

Edited for spelling, and while I did a quick search, but I obviously missed the answer

No on the aftermarket. The Aires nozzles are direct copies of the kit parts, which are very good as they are.

Aaron

Thanks Kurtd123, StrikeEagle801.

I don't mind throwing some resin at a kit, but it I like to research, and make sure it will be an improvement.

Well, hopefully I can do the kit some justice when I get to it.

As for the careful assembly, I will have to quit coffee that week.

Thank goodness I am not a brain surgeon :-P

Edited for an error.

Edited by Av8fan
Wow two pages and this thread is still on topic! I'm surprised that no one has gone ape $**t about this.

Well, from what I've heard, there isn't much debate about the Revell Strike Eagle being the top of the heap.