Filling and sanding

Hi everyone

I have a question about sanding filler. I am using Squadron white filler and using a standard sanding block to sand away the excess but I can not seem to get a nice smooth finish. Has anybody got any tips on the best way(s) to sand away excess bits?

I've tried the thinners on a q-tip but this does not seem to work for me.

All replies will be appreciated.

Eren

Edited by eren_777
Hi everyone

I have a question about sanding filler. I am using Squadron white filler and using a standard sanding block to sand away the excess but I can not seem to get a nice smooth finish. Has anybody got any tips on the best way(s) to sand away excess bits?

Eren

Use the Squadron putty as an initial filler, then use a glazing compound such as 3M Acryl Blue. I use the latter exclusively...it feathers out clean and smooth.

Take a peek at this PERFECT SEAMS

hi, eren_777

Like other subjects, this could require a tutorial, but:

- the smaller amount of filler you use, the better result.

- the more time you spend carefully adding filler just where is needed, the easier and faster sanding.

- mask with tape the area around the gaps

- stick with double side adhesive tape various grade of wet sandpaper on styrene strips of the proper size for your urpose and use them in sequence from the lower to the higher, always wet.

And … if possible, avoid using filler for large gaps.

Was just searching for the link Hawkeye's Hobbies had posted above.

Regards

Euge

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I have tried the finer sand and this seems to help but can you explain the wet sand for me and how I do this properly?

Many thanks

Just dip the sandpaper in water every once in a while to keep it wet. Make sure the paper is "wet or dry" type or the water may disolve the glue that holds the sand onto the paper.

It does two things: it keeps the sandpaper from clogging up with putty and plastic particles and it makes the actual physical work of sanding easier as the water lubricates the surface.

Make that three things, it also reduces the apperent grit of the sandpaper a few grades, sanding with wet 400 grit will leave the surface of the model as smooth as sanding with dry 600 grit. It's magic I tell ya! It's a lot faster than dry sanding over all but it can be a little messy as the water/putty slush drips off all over the place. I do it with a towel in my lap.

Just dip the sandpaper in water every once in a while to keep it wet. Make sure the paper is "wet or dry" type or the water may disolve the glue that holds the sand onto the paper.

It does two things: it keeps the sandpaper from clogging up with putty and plastic particles and it makes the actual physical work of sanding easier as the water lubricates the surface.

Make that three things, it also reduces the apperent grit of the sandpaper a few grades, sanding with wet 400 grit will leave the surface of the model as smooth as sanding with dry 600 grit. It's magic I tell ya! It's a lot faster than dry sanding over all but it can be a little messy as the water/putty slush drips off all over the place. I do it with a towel in my lap.

Hi Grey Ghost

I tried the wet sanding yesterday and its incredible. I have got such a smooth finish. I managed to find an old un-used nail file that was able to get wet without losing the glue and its a really good finish. I'm hoping to get some pictures posted of the finished build as soon as it's done but if you've read some of my other threads you'ss see I've had some trouble with Minicraft's 757 Eastern Airlines as they sent the wrong engines. I needed RR and I got PW :worship::salute:

You can also add a little dish soap or shampoo to the water to help lubricate the surfaces. Just a little soap goes a long way.

I don't think this hobby should be called modeling, I think it should be called sanding...

"Hey you get some sanding done today?"

"yeah dude, had a 2-3 good our of sanding in before the kids got home..."

Another good point for sanding is the direction you sand the seam. It's best to go across the seam whenever possible and not with it. It's easy to create a step in your seam when you sand with the seam.

Jeff

Hi everyone

Eren

I'm also having trouble using this, I know it's supposed to be easy - just wipe down the seam - but somehow I always get left with the seam not quite filled. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm also having trouble using this, I know it's supposed to be easy - just wipe down the seam - but somehow I always get left with the seam not quite filled. Is there something I'm missing?

Ali, I can maybe say that it could be you are not letting the putty dry for long enough? I used to get this problem but now it's the new probem of not sanding quite right and its still too filled. What filler are you using?

Ali, I can maybe say that it could be you are not letting the putty dry for long enough? I used to get this problem but now it's the new probem of not sanding quite right and its still too filled. What filler are you using?

mr surfacer and mr white putty

Here is another lesson I have learned over the months. In hard to reach areas like wing roots and intakes, I use a q-tip to spread putty.

First, I mask on both sides of the seams. Then, I take the q-tip and spread the putty along the seam, being careful not to get putty past the tape.

The q-tip leaves the putty nice and smooth in the hard to reach seams. Since the q-tip actually smoothes out the putty more than a putty knife would.

Also, when you have applied the putty, remove the masking tape and use the q-tip again to smoothe it out further with some nail polish remover.

Make sure it has acetone in it. You should be left with very little sanding after that.

Here are some pics using this method.

camerapictures012-1.jpg

camerapictures023.jpg

camerapictures026.jpg

camerapictures013-1.jpg

I hope this helped a little.

RYAN.