1/48 AC-130U - back on the road.

Thanks very much for that Shawn! I had another look at one of my shots of 90510 heading off (very slightly topside) and it looks like the walkways are there in light grey? I might put them on, and just accept the inaccuracy if it is wrong.

I'm sure I'll have a whole bunch of questions to come, but what you've given me so far will keep me going for a bit!

Cheers!

Ben

Hopefully more updates next week, when my workload decreases a bit.

OK, I told you I would have some more questions! :)

The "89-0510" behind the UARSSI, is that in grey or white? I cant find any reference pics (but I know roughly where it should be).

I found this shot of an AC-130H showing the topside nicely, is the Spooky pretty similar?

http://www.herkybirds.com/gallery/files/2/2/8/69-6570_a.jpg

Ben

OK, I told you I would have some more questions! <_<

The "89-0510" behind the UARSSI, is that in grey or white? I cant find any reference pics (but I know roughly where it should be).

I found this shot of an AC-130H showing the topside nicely, is the Spooky pretty similar?

http://www.herkybirds.com/gallery/files/2/2/8/69-6570_a.jpg

Ben

Actually, exactly like that. The 89-0510 would be at the top of the box as you are looking at it in that picture (as if you were the boom operator). Color is white, the afsoc instruction calls it fs 37925 (not sure the name of that shade).

Thanks again! I can't wait to get this sealed up and start painting now! Thats the stage that I always enjoy the most. :thumbsup:

As for progress at the moment, my Photobucket account has bandwidth exceeded as you can see, so no photos until monday when the limitation lifts apparently.

I've been adding yet more structural detail to the outside (I think I have all the bracing stuff done), and am currently in the process of attaching the tailplanes to each side of the fuselage.

Managed to find myself another two problems as well! Somehow got to seal the fuselage before adding the wings (seems easier), but then have to get the wires from the wings through the bottom of the fuselage?

I also need to find a way to build the little "box" raised section for the refuelling receptacle - should just be a quick plasticard job when I get to it.

So, more on Monday! <_<

Ben

I also need to find a way to build the little "box" raised section for the refuelling receptacle - should just be a quick plasticard job when I get to it.

Looking forward to the progress shots...but the quote above confuses me...what "box raised section" are you referring to?

Oops - should have explained that better maybe! Its not so much a box, rather a lump (I think!)

You can see what I mean on this shot from Herkybirds.com

89-0509_b.jpg

http://www.herkybirds.com/gallery/files/2/2/8/89-0509_b.jpg

The little raised bit under the refuelling markings? Thats what I meant. :)

More work done tonight, I painted the nosecone, built in the main computer panel and seats, and undercoated the 25mm in black. The computer panel and seats have not had much effort put into them, and look very rough because you wont see them at all when the fuselage is sealed!

Ben

Oops - should have explained that better maybe! Its not so much a box, rather a lump (I think!)

You can see what I mean on this shot from Herkybirds.com

89-0509_b.jpg

http://www.herkybirds.com/gallery/files/2/2/8/89-0509_b.jpg

The little raised bit under the refuelling markings? Thats what I meant. :coolio:

More work done tonight, I painted the nosecone, built in the main computer panel and seats, and undercoated the 25mm in black. The computer panel and seats have not had much effort put into them, and look very rough because you wont see them at all when the fuselage is sealed!

Ben

Oh, gotcha. That lump is mostly from a "doubler" (a piece of sheet metal added to strengthen the area). The light in that shot captures it really well. On most of the birds, it's really hard to tell it's even there, unless you are standing right on top of the plane.

So its much flatter than it looks? In that case I'll just use a thin piece of plasticard, and sand it to blend into the fuselage. Problem solved!

Now my photobucket seems to be working again, I'll put some more pictures up tonight, when I have got some more work done.

Ben

Finally! Another update. Got bogged down in mid semester tests, so had limited time to do any work. Heres just a bit more up till now.

More painting around the back section (that big green fabricy tall thing), which turned out WAY better than I expected. Very pleased with this.

IMG_8492.jpg

Inside section test fitted to the fuselage side, still needs so much detail in there (so...much....detail......). You can see the partially painted 25mm and computer panels up near the front.

IMG_8517.jpg

One of the tailplanes rescribed and glued to the fuselage side. I also added the top structural brace, which looks to be wider than those on standard C-130s?

IMG_8522.jpg

And finally, the front section fully done (apart from aerials and stuff on top, which will be done when I close her up). I also test painted the entire nose cone again. Still doesnt look right. Need to sand it down again before I airbrush.

IMG_8525.jpg

And thats it until the weekend I think.

Ben

Cheers Curt! :rofl:

Another quick update on tonights work - I got the other tailplane scribed and installed. The fit was not so flush here so it might need a bit of filler.

i also installed the starboard side of the "booth" section in front of the big guns, effectively covers all that nice painting I did yesterday. Started installing the lights inside too.

As you can see from this, she is somewhat of a tailsitter! Hopefully it will even out with the wings on and all the stuff inside.

IMG_8540-1.jpg

Ben

You may want to add weight in the nose. A rule of thumb for me is to dry fit it all then put my fingers on the wing tips and lift. If the nose points down she probably won't tail drag. The real deal is very very tail heavy and on more than one occasions has had skidplate-flightling contact. We even had one fall off jacks when using the "slick" center of gravity by accident back in the 90's

Curt

You may want to add weight in the nose. A rule of thumb for me is to dry fit it all then put my fingers on the wing tips and lift. If the nose points down she probably won't tail drag. The real deal is very very tail heavy and on more than one occasions has had skidplate-flightling contact. We even had one fall off jacks when using the "slick" center of gravity by accident back in the 90's

Curt

You'll have to explain that to the "uneducated", Curt. What is a skidplate-flightling contact? It doesnt sound too good! ;)

We haven't had any tail-sitting incidents in the 4th, at least not maintenance. The crews have drug a skid plate or two across the runway though. However, Curt is right she is very tail heavy...actually has lead weight in the nose to keep the center-of-gravity right.

The skidplate is that lump just forward of the ramp. I just proof read what I wrote...lol I meant "Skidplate-FLIGHTLINE contact"

Your work is super bro! I check in here often looking to see what crazy detail you have added this time! How are classes going? I hope we aren't keeping you from your studies with our update demands!...lol

Umgriz

Nice to see another gunship guy around here! What do you do?

I seem to recall hearing about a "kickstand" incident with a U-model. The story goes that one of your crews landed with the 105 depressed and not drawn in; back in the early 90's...lol Needless to say some sparks flew in more ways then one!

Curt

The skidplate is that lump just forward of the ramp. I just proof read what I wrote...lol I meant "Skidplate-FLIGHTLINE contact"

Your work is super bro! I check in here often looking to see what crazy detail you have added this time! How are classes going? I hope we aren't keeping you from your studies with our update demands!...lol

Curt

Oh OK, I wondered what that little lump was on my model - I was just about to go and sand it off! :cheers:

Classes are going awesomely thanks, you can't really go wrong learning about aircraft! Plus we have ZF534, the EAP aircraft to play with! :thumbsup:

Got a trip to Marshalls Aerospace soon to go and see some Herkybirds, so hopefully I can get some good shots of the rivets and stuff. Rumour has it Marshalls also do services to the AC-130Us sometimes (avionics and stuff) although I've never heard of one landing there?

Ben

PS- Lots of free time this weekend, and my overall aim (being very ambitious) is to get the fuselage sealed.

Well, I managed to find a solution to the "what does the topside look like" problem by looking in probably one of the most obvious places. Hurlburt Fields website.

And here we are - a great shot of an AC-130U topside, looks like current markings as well (minus the Angel of Death noseart).

080820-F-5957S-912.JPG

Talk about a tail sitter...The C-130 loading manual has a limit of 2000 pounds that can be loaded across the ramp unsupported. I had a 1800 pound pallet on a forklift sitting behind the airplane. Less than 2000 pounds so I didn't get the milk stool out support the ramp. I forgot to add the weight of the two guys and myself and the other loadmaster...so we were over 2000 pounds. Pushed the pallet on to the ramp and the nose gear strut extended out to the limit and it got light in the nose but it stayed on the ground! Didn't do that again!! :woot.gif:

OHHH that could have been really bad! At least the forklift would have stopped the decent.... at the cost of the cargo door! In cases like this I'm sure you would have been "assisting" maintenance till the fix was done! I recall a pilot in "the desert" ordered by his commander to carry a skid plate on a rope around his neck. That's about 10 pounds! He had to sit on a five gallon bucket next to the plane the whole time maintenance repaired the 737 end cap. I removed the ramp for that job. It took about a week and the pilot was out there every day. At least it was winter! I'm sure he never destroyed a skid plate again!

Curt

The only time I was ever really worried about putting on on the tail was when someone jacked the nose up a wee bit high. I think, though, it's more scary to think about than to actually do. If two or more of the engines are not mounted, we used some big-assed weight hanging on the nose jack pads to keep the cg in limits.

My kit seems to be very similar to the real aircraft. I got it all glued up today, and test fitted both wings. Even with the required 80g nose weight, motors, and stuff inside (pretty much all forward of CofG), it STILL TAILSITS! AAARGH!

And breathe......

:monkeydance:

Now I just need to find some way of getting some extra weight in the nose. I might just put a tiny prop underneath the ramp as well, so hopefully it will resolve itself. Luckily, apart from the ramp there is no more stuff to be added aft of the CofG.

Andrew - take note. ADD LOTS OF WEIGHT to yours! ;)

Curt - Yeah, the A400M would be an awesome gunship, if we ever get the thing to fly!

Edited by OriginalMonty