Started the build yesterday by constructing most of the office. I'm quite impressed with the kit. They have a moulded nose weight and part of the moulding is the nose gear landing bay. Quite ingenioulsy engineered. No idea what decal options I'll be applying to this build. There are 4 marking options, I believe. It will depend on how adventurous I want to get with the painting to determine what markings will be applied. Photos will be posted later on.

To all those entering the build, good luck!

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Great subject indeed Mike and a fantastic kit by Tamiya. Much like their He 219 they've integrated a nose weight into the cockpit and shows how cleaverly they engineer these kits. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress Sir.

Greg

The office is almost complete. Only a few small details to paint and it'll be done. I'll be using the instrument panel decals and seat belts.

I've decided that I'll be finishing this aircraft as 'Green 1' III/JG7, Brandenburg-Briest flown by Maj, Rudolf Sinner. I chose this scheme simply because it looks the easiest to paint and has a minimal amount of mottling on the vertical stabilizer. It's RLM 82 with diagonal stripes of RLM 83 (or is it RLM 83 with diagonal stripes of RLM 82???) over RLM 76 with no mottling on the fuselage or engine nacelles.

No photos yet but I will snap a few tomorrow or Monday before buttoning up the fuselage.

Mike

Looking forward to seeing those pictures Mike and excellent progress to finish up the cockpit too. Here again is another kit where just keeping it an OOB build is more than acceptable and those cockpit decals by Tamiya are superb!

Greg

A couple of photos as promised...

The cockpit. The decal seatbelts are nowhere near as good as PE but they look better than nothing. The decals on the IP fit perfectly and settled down into their respective homes with a bit of Solvaset.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

A little bit of detail in the main gear bay

DSC_0009-1.jpg

The nicely designed and moulded front nose gear /wheel bay weight and cannon assembly that will sit on top of it

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Non-existant seams on the wing leading edges

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

And the colours to be used

DSC_0001-2.jpg

More photos later as things progress. As usual, all positive comments and constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

A lot of progress made over the last couple of days. Holidays are a wonderful thing!

The fuselage has been joined and the nose weight / wheel bay installed. The engine nacelles have been completed and joined to the wings. The wings have been added to the fuselage. I am simply amazed at how well this kits has gone together. There has been a very minor bit of sanding and absolutely no putty has been required. Remarkable! The horizontal stabs have been left off to facilitate the mottling on the vertical stab. I've left out the gun pack. I'll just button up the forward fuselage.

The first coat of RLM 76 has been applied to the under surfaces and is drying. A second light coat will be applied later. The canopy has been masked (Micro Mask). I'm waiting for that to cure and then I'll attach the canopy glass and then spray the RLM 83. Once that dries, I'll mask and spray the RLM 82. The landing gear and wheels have already been spray so hopefully this build will be done by week's end. I'll snap a couple of pictures later.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Looking really good, Mike. A note on the Model Master paints, they mixed up their greens, RLM 82 is actually Lichtgrun (light green) and RLM 83 is Dunkelgrun (dark green). This has caused a lot of confusion over the years, don't know why they never got around to fixing it.

Looking really good, Mike. A note on the Model Master paints, they mixed up their greens, RLM 82 is actually Lichtgrun (light green) and RLM 83 is Dunkelgrun (dark green). This has caused a lot of confusion over the years, don't know why they never got around to fixing it.

Mike:

Thank you very much for that heads up on the paint. I had no idea about the mix up. BTW - I really like your avatar. One of my favourite albums.

So...it's later and here are a few photos I just took.

This is the box art. I bought this kit, and a couple of others, at the Tamiya Plamodel outlet in Tokyo last year. I should have snapped the picture of the price - 3034 yen, about $30 CDN. Id' pay another $25 on top of that if I bought it here.

BoxArt.jpg

First coat of RLM 76

Underside.jpg

LeftSide-3.jpg

And 3 samples of the No Putty Required joints (wing, fuselage, engine nacelle)

WingJoint.jpg

LowerRearFuselageJoint.jpg

NacelleFrontJoint.jpg

Mike

Fantastic work Mike!! I love the cockpit detailing on this one too! The Tamiya kit truly is a pleasure to build as well and very well engineered in terms of fit as well as that metal nose-piece/weight. Looking forward to seeing more progress pics as these are outstanding. :rolleyes:

Greg

BoxArt.jpg

The two tone diagonal pattern, as seen on the side of the box top, has been applied. I still need to do the mottling on the vertical stab and soften a couple of edges. With any luck, I'll have this done by next weekend. I was hoping to have this done by the end of this weekend but a lot of stuff has been dumped on my plate that I need to deal with before I finish this build. I'll post photos of the completed kit when I'm done.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Mike

Thanks Ed.

Stripes are painted. Decals are on. A few other pieces left to attach and it'll be done. A few small errors but it didn't turn out too bad. Photos to follow when it's finished. Mid week, hopefully.

Mike

Thanks for the support boys! I present "Green 1" as completed yesterday evening. I would have done a few things differently but all in all a very nice and relatively simple kit to put together.

LeftFront2.jpg

LeftRear.jpg

LeftSide2.jpg

RightFront1.jpg

Overhead1.jpg

RightRearAbove.jpg

Thanks for letting me play. To the chaps who are still building, keep it up. To the Mods, thanks for hosting. To those who posted comments and lent support, I thank you.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I am having the same dillema. However...

DSC_0001-2.jpg

judging from photos (and my bottles) the RLM 82 label is applied on the lighter green and RLM 83 label is applied on the darker green. You say it sould be the other way around, if I understood correctly. Nevertheless, Licht in German means light and Dunkel means dark. Following the wording logic, the labels should be correct.

The color name is correct, the RLM numbers are reversed.

Lichtgrun = RLM 82

Dunklegrun = RLM 83

The original confusion over the numbering came from the original Monogram Luftwaffe Colors books a number of years ago. The correction page was published in the old AirFoil magazine, long since out of print.

HTH,

Dave