Looks like one of the very early "Heavy Chain" MC-130Es.

-JS

Edit-----

To answer your question though, they were left in a semi-civilian paint scheme until around 1966-67.

Edited by ST0RM

The best indicator of a C-130E-I (until Mar. 77) and later MC-130E (from Mar 77) would be the angle of attack probe on the tail.

Like here.

mc130eY77851.KY.jpg

Some more shots posted earlier on the Research forum. Photos via T. Matsuzaki. Photos taken by K. Yoshida. Mr. Takahashi and others.

The serial number 12641 is a fake one. The hog nose was replaced with a regular nose. The aircraft had been reported as belonging to the 1174th SS out of Norton, but subsequent info might differ. They all ended up as Rivet Yank aircraft and flew with the 1st SOS out of Kadena.

IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x41/gmat6441/c130e-I1843.1.jpg[/img]

c130e-11843.2-1.jpg

c130e-140564.1.jpg

c130e-112641_.3.jpg

c130e-112641_.2.jpg

c130e-112641_.1.jpg

c130e-11843.2.jpg

c130e-1.1843.jpg

One was camo.

c130e-110370_.1.jpg

The Preatorian Starship has more info, I've heard.

Best wishes

Grant

That looks like the first one I check the Praetorian Starship and Ray Leaders C-130 book and the World air Power journal article.

It looks like the first Heavy chain. But it is hard to tell without seeing the Tail number. The paint scheme looks like the first Heavy chain.

I will ask on the c -130 list for you if you like?

S-

Heavy Chain was the code word for what would become Combat Talon 1 MC-130 E. These aircraft were some days crewed by CIA crews and on other Days by USAF crews. My supervisor at Lockheed was one such pilot he said one day they flew for the usaf then the other day for the cia. The only difference was when they flew for the CIA. They took off their insignia sanitized their uniforms and blanked out the aircraft Insignia by covering it over with a painted piece of metal. with either zeus fastiners or slip it on like you would open and close a window. Plus their pay increased to twice or three times as much. Than their Air Force Pay.

These aircraft dropped off Lurps (sp?) long rang patrols behind enemy lines. Then picked them up with the Fulton recovery system. days or weeks later.

Some Special ops groups Green Berets. Were dropped in a pod with a parachute. and picked up later by the Fulton recovery system.

They also sometimes participated in downed air crew rescue missions. As needed. Before the Air force developed the Jolly green giants rescue program.

This was all very hush hush at the time.

The first time the public was exposed to the fulton recovery system was in Thunderball a James Bond movie. That used the CIA's B-17 for the final shot of the film.

Simeon.

Cheers Guys,

can anyone tell me what "Heavy Chain" was, there does not seem to be hardly anything about it on the web.

Julien

Cheers guys, new it was something SPOOKY!

That fulton recovery system looked one hell of a ride!

Julien

According to the Praetorian Starship book (did I mention it was a great read), the last fulton recovery using a live subject was in 1982. The Special Forces SGT was badly hurt when the line failed a few seconds into the recovery. He hit the ground but lived. Unfortunately, he died when an army medic attempted to perform a tracheotomy and failed.

Here is one (15th SOS) passing through Hawaii.

E. Kawahara photo.

C-130E-I.jpg

Passing through Yokota.

circa 1965 Takahashi photo

c130e-1.jpg

The Heavy Chain with the 'civilian type' scheme and one in camo, were separate from the regular C-130E-I units, with their unique camo aircraft, such as the 15th SOS, in SVN, the 318th SOS at Pope/Hurlburt and the 7th SOS in Germany.

Best wishes,

Grant

Here is one (15th SOS) passing through Hawaii.

E. Kawahara photo.

C-130E-I.jpg

Passing through Yokota.

circa 1965 Takahashi photo

c130e-1.jpg

The Heavy Chain with the 'civilian type' scheme and one in camo, were separate from the regular C-130E-I units, with their unique camo aircraft, such as the 15th SOS, in SVN, the 318th SOS at Pope/Hurlburt and the 7th SOS in Germany.

Best wishes,

Grant

Very cool picture, never seen the underside camo'd like that before. On a side note, I remember reading an article a long time ago, where the author (an ex-fighter pilot) stated that MC-130's were some of the most difficult planes to intercept in darkness / bad weather. They had great ECM, tons of chaff and could maneuver extremely well at insanely low altitudes. He seemed to be quite impressed by them.

Thanks for posting those pics...

John

Too good. An F-102 collided with a Sneaky Pete at night in the late 60s or early 70s.

I heard that it flew up the rear fuselage. Very sad and unpleasant. R.I.P. with God.

Another Loadmaster said that when they went to CCK, the first the Taiwanese knew was when they touched down on the runway. They understandably were p****d.

For 15th SOS C-130E-Is, have you gone to Herkybirds?

They have a gallery of photos and Bob Daley has gallery of most of the C-130s by Lockheed Construction numbers.

http://herkybirds.com/index.php?

Best wishes,

Grant

Too good. An F-102 collided with a Sneaky Pete at night in the late 60s or early 70s.

I heard that it flew up the rear fuselage. Very sad and unpleasant. R.I.P. with God.

Another Loadmaster said that when they went to CCK, the first the Taiwanese knew was when they touched down on the runway. They understandably were p****d.

They have a gallery of photos and Bob Daley has gallery of most of the C-130s by Lockheed Construction numbers.

Best wishes,

Grant

No bud, never been to that site, thanks for the pictures and that site URL :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Best wishes,

Grant

Dec 5, 1972. The fighter came up from below, into the right external fuel tank area.