F4J (1/32 Tamiya) Sparrow, sidewinder missiles - colored bands

My phantom is nearing completion.

I have to apply the colored bands for the sparrow & sidewinder missiles.

Is there some info about the color and place of the bands ?

Luc

If you're using the Sidewinders from the Tamiya kit, I seem to recall when I made my F-4J that they are wrong for the Navy version. I believe the kit comes with long nosed AIM-9C's which the Air Force used and they should be AIM-9D's instead. These can be acquired easily using the older version Sidewinders of the Tamiya F-14A kit.

Is this right or wrong?

I believe the kit comes with long nosed AIM-9C's which the Air Force used and they should be AIM-9D's instead.

The AIM-9C was a semi-active radar guided missile that was used exclusively by the F-8 Crusader in Navy service.

Regards,

Murph

The AIM-9C was a semi-active radar guided missile that was used exclusively by the F-8 Crusader in Navy service.

Regards,

Murph

My recollection was obviously bad, but I found out what the real problem with the Sidewinders is here:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Marketplace/Tweaks/F-4J.html

" Kit Sidewinders are hybrid: front part of 1st generation but rear part and general length of 2nd generation sidewinders. Moreover, they do not look like Navy/Marines version"

I believe in 1977 we were loading AIM-9L's. Could be wrong. Won't be the first time today.

But I do remember the TTU-304/E tester.

flashlites worked just as well and blew out the aircrew's ears also. :lol:

Limas in 77 sound right to me.

Reddog :)

flashlites worked just as well and blew out the aircrew's ears also. :D

Limas in 77 sound right to me.

Reddog :thumbsup:

I remember trying to test the D's loaded on F-8's. We were usually on the fantail so you now what they were locked on. The ship's stack.
I remember trying to test the D's loaded on F-8's. We were usually on the fantail so you now what they were locked on. The ship's stack.

That was common with the Mikes when we where parked on the fantail (which was always) but instead of being locked onto the stack they where locked onto the birds (F-18's) in the six pack. We just cupped our hands over the nose to check them and then called them good.

Reddog :coolio:

My phantom is nearing completion.

I have to apply the colored bands for the sparrow & sidewinder missiles.

Is there some info about the color and place of the bands ?

Luc

The Coloured bands on missiles are called hazard bands they are a NATO standard and denote the type of explosive in that particular missile section. or weapon.

If you look at a Live AIM9L sidewinder reading from the front you first have the Guidance that is usually a metallic green or brown finish, behind that will be a small section called the target detector, which on the ground will be covered with a red protective cover and RBF flag. in the air it has 8 small round glass windows. Behind this is the warhead this is denoted by a 2" wide yellow painted band this denotes that this section contains "High Explosive". Next is the rocket motor this has a Brown 2" band painted on it which denotes "Low Explosive" (propellant).

The Live AIM7E follows the same rules with the Yellow band on the warhead Just aft of the central wings and brown on the rocket motor. If you look at the later AIM &F you will notice that the yellow band has moved to the front of the wings as this missile was redesigned with the warhead in front of the wings.

Practice missiles have light blue bands, or on other ordnance can be painted light blue all over But please remember that Practice does not necessarily mean inert, practice bombs can be seen plue with a brown band to indecate a smoke or flash component. Practice 20mm rounds are painted blue but i assure you if you stand in front of the gun it will make a 20mm hole in you!

My recollection was obviously bad, but I found out what the real problem with the Sidewinders is here:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Marketplace/Tweaks/F-4J.html

" Kit Sidewinders are hybrid: front part of 1st generation but rear part and general length of 2nd generation sidewinders. Moreover, they do not look like Navy/Marines version"

Actually the fix to get a good "representation" of AIM-9G Winders from the kit's AIM-9 whatever is fairly simple, just move the front fins forward about one fin length. This takes these:

AIM9_01.jpg

and gives you these:

AIM_9Gs.jpg

BTW

Luc about Sidewinder and or Sparrow markings all you need to know is two words: Two Bobs.

Their decal sheets of AIM markings are da bomb so to speak.