Trumpeter 1/32 Crusader F-8E

Thanks Andrew and Kilroy!! Didn`t get this build done today, just ran out of time. I did manage to finish and install the seat and coaming. I have to confess i didn`t spend a lot of time on the pit as they usually give me lots of trouble as far as painting them goes. I also glued in the main and nose gear assemblies and the nose gear doors. Navy aircraft have doors edged in red as a safety precaution, i added the red edge by using a Ultra Fine Point red Sharpie pen. I learned this method in the ARC forums and is the easiest method for me. I was warned NOT to clear coat the ink as it would turn pink, so i gave the edges a dirty wash to tone down the bright red. I wasn`t too concerned about neatness as pictures show the red is applied very unevenly on real Navy planes and they really take a beating with lots of wear and tear. i still have to add the weapons pylons and weapons, main gear doors and linkages, horizontal tails, and selective weathering. Something i overlooked was the small stencils over the plane. Trumpeter supplied a lot of the needed stencils, but then provided no info where it goes. Notable is the placards on the gear doors, on the gear, approach lights on the forward gear door and a few others. They also didn`t include sway braces for the wing pylons and a few other nits that escape my mind right now. Anyway, a couple of pics for the night.

IMG_4848a.jpg

Pic of the forward fuselage. I added some staining around the gunports, looks light but the pic doesn`t show how dark it really is.

IMG_4853a.jpg

Overall pic showing it on its wheels.

Don

Thanks Don, I appreciate the update and great to hear that you're so close to the finish.

What you've posted looks just fine and the subtle staining is appropriate. I really wish that the markings you've used were available in 1/72, as I've got a thing for depicting Marine units deployed to carriers as part of the Air Wing; all the same, it's great to see your Crusader finished so well.

Cheers for now,

Andrew.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. 3 AM here, couldn`t sleep so i`m posting a couple of pics. Managed to install the weapons pylons and weapons. The loadout has 2 Sidewinders and 2 Zuni rocket launchers on the fuselage stations and two Bullpups on the wing pylons. The pics give a clearer view on how the pylons differ. They are at different angles to clear the refueling door/probe on the left side and the RAT on the right side. Still not sure Trumpeter got the basic shape right, i glued the launch rails on at the different angles according to references. Anyway, two pics then time to try and get some ZZZZZ`s

IMG_4861a.jpg

IMG_4862a.jpg

Don

Thanks, guys!! Near the end on this build, just a few things to do. I almost threw the two exhaust parts out, i painted these parts Tamiya Red/Brown, then dry brushed with Citadel colors Chaos black and Boltgun Metal. I washed it with a dirty mix of black/brown, clear blue and clear orange, installed it and dusted it with MiG Pigments. One pic for the nite, then time for some sleep.

IMG_4882a.jpg

Don

Done!!! Finished the build tonight!! I have to say, Trumpeter kits do have their faults, but i really enjoyed building the Crusader. Thinking seriously of doing another as there are enough options on the Victory decal sheet to do another build. Anyway, on to some pics.

IMG_4892a.jpg

IMG_4895a.jpg

IMG_4896a.jpg

IMG_4903a.jpg

IMG_4901a.jpg

Lovely result, Don.

You've achieved an excellent finish and it's great to read that you enjoyed the build so much. Another kit, whether A-7 or F-8, to this standard would be equally worth watching.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hey guys!! Thanks for the positive posts. Really enjoy Group Builds, find it`s a great way to get motivated and to build with other builders doing similar builds. Think i will start in on a D model, will start a new thread.

Don