1/72 Tamiya P-47D "Bonnie"

Here's my project. 1/72 Tamiya P-47D-23-RA in the late 1944 markings of Major Bill Dunham, 348th Fighter Group, Pacific Theater of Operations. All his aircraft were named Bonnie or "Mrs Bonnie" and he was from Idaho. I am especially interested in PTO Thunderbolts.

IMG_0105a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to be in love with a kit? :D This goes together so nicely. Should be ready for paint shortly. Tamiya, I salute you and beseech you to give me more 1/72 love. :D

IMG_0112.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have some paint on now. Alclad in a semi-matt finish which I think looks good on a military aircraft. Hope to get some time later this weekend to mask off the anti-glare panel and Fifth Air Force ID stripes. SWMBO is keeping me occupied and away from the modeling bench. :thumbsup:

IMG_0140.JPG

Got a bit of masking done yesterday. The old decal is there to mask the black so the actual decal can go down on bare metal. That way, the black won't show through.

IMG_0142.JPG

And finally, we have the decals. Just some final touch up, a clear coat for the decals, and then I'm ready to add all the small bits. Sure is a nice looking aircraft. Guess it didn't hurt to be the squadron commander and an ace.

I wish I had cut the white out from the numeral "120" on the fin. I am not sure, but it may have been natural metal numbers for the "120." The numeral "2" is an incorrect font but I was not sure I could fix it without damaging it beyond use. I did cut the white part out of the pre-war rudder flash. Apparently, many of these P-47's only used red and blue for the flash and natural metal for the what would be the white part. Not sure why.

IMG_0150.JPG

Looks very nice indeed, Ham.

Thanks for the pics and the info regarding the use of white in that scheme. Your kit is coming together very well and I think your masking out the areas of the national insignia has certainly paid off. Hope to see more soon.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...