Tamiya 1/72 - Razorback and Bubbletop

Hello all,

I realised late last year when I caught wind of this GB that I had to participate, but couldn't decide which of the two unstarted Tamiya kits in the stash I was going to build. I solved the problem by electing to do both! A more difficult decision awaits me though, as I'm yet to settle on schemes for each.

I have a few aftermarket decal options for the razorback, but it will probably be the B-side from the kit, 'Sleepy time gal'. The opposite problem applies for the bubbletop; too many decal sheets and so many choices..... Anyway, my enthusiasm is greater than my indecision and I've started both kits already. Here are some shots from the last couple of days:

3Jan10-01_800.jpg

3Jan10-02_800.jpg

3Jan10-02_800.jpg

Cockpit parts with initial paint coat of Dull Dark Green (White Ensign Colourcoat):

05-Jan-2010_0040_800.jpg

And, because I love painting, I just had to apply some Yellow chromate to the undercarriage areas:

5Jan10-25_800.jpg

5Jan10-21_800.jpg

5Jan10-23_800.jpg

More progress on cockpit painting occurred this morning and photos will follow shortly.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Edited by AndrewS

As it turns out, I've only got the one shot of cockpits' current status:

06Jan2010_0052-web.jpg

They won't last the day in this configuration though, and I hope to photograph joined fuselages tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Here's a little more progress on these lovely kits.

Painting of the engines commenced:

8-Jan-10-100_800.jpg

Fuselage halves went together without fuss:

8-Jan-10-94_800.jpg

and an interloper joined the fray; at the rear is another Tamiya bubbletop started a while ago and which has sat in its box in this state of incompletion for far too long. I've decided it should be finished at the same time as the GB kits, in the markings of 'Angie', a D-25 of the 406 FG:

8-Jan-10-99_800.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Andrew.

Hello all,

It won't be surprising to those who know the Tamiya kit (in either scale) that only a little more effort is required to add the wings and the bubbletop's fin and rear deck and prepare the engines and cowlings for assembly. Hence the following:

11-Jan-2010_0137_800.jpg

Despite evidence to the contrary, I feel like this is dragging a bit. It could also be that I just want to get on with the painting and decalling!

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Andrew.

Hello again,

Firstly, thanks to John for your encouragement; sorry for the delay in responding.

I've missed photographing a couple of steps (exciting stuff like masking canopies and spraying primer), but everything is proceeding smoothly and the shots below show where the kits are at as of this evening. I have finally settled on a scheme for my bubbletop for this Group Build, which is a D-25, 'Coffey's Pot', which carried full D-Day markings on the fuselage and wings as depicted in the instructions to Sky Models' P-47 sheet, 72-050.

Here is that kit with the white applied:

17-Jan-2010_0174_800.jpg

17-Jan-2010_0176_800.jpg

The Razorback also required white areas:

17-Jan-2010_0170_800.jpg

17-Jan-2010_0169_800.jpg

The non-GB bubbletop interloper will be 'Angie', so she also needed a splash of white as actual colour or as a primer:

17-Jan-2010_0179_800.jpg

17-Jan-2010_0183_800.jpg

Applying colour to the kits is probably the most enjoyable part of modelling for me (it's a toss-up between that and decalling); irrespective of which scheme I work on, I'm really excited about the next few steps on each of the kits - here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Thanks for looking,

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

It's been a while since my last update, and a bit of time has also elapsed since I last committed modelling on these kits, but I do now have some small progress to show. Here's the Razorback with some paint on (in fact all of the colours had been applied when the photo was taken) and just after I'd given it a go over with Micromesh - the olive drab hadn't turned out well, so I had to prepare it for another coat:

05-Feb-2010_0258-800.jpg

The good news is that the next application went very well and here's how it looks now:

06-Feb-2010_0262-800.jpg

06-Feb-2010_0265-800.jpg

06-Feb-2010_0268-800.jpg

Time to get cracking on the other aircraft and of course I'll apply some gloss to the Razorback in order to get the decalling happening.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Andrew.

• 1 month later...

An update for those fascinated by inactivity........

I finished the razorback a few weeks ago but have been lazy in photographing it for the forum. I've decided to make amends; please find below a shot of the hastily finished article (I wanted to wrap up something, anything, before my local club meet and made it by a day!):

25-Mar-10_0282_800.jpg

More photos in the finished gallery.

Cheers,

Andrew.