Eduard Fw-190D

I got it today :thumbsup:

Sprues look very much like Antons' - same plastic, surface detail and still a lot of parts. Wings and fuselage seem to match Abe's plans, although I haven't compared crossections.

Few things I looked at. Gun cover is perhaps a bit off.

th_d_01.jpg th_d_02.jpg th_d_03.jpg

Propeller looks OK, save for small sink marks in the back.

th_d_04.jpg th_d_05.jpg th_d_06.jpg

Spinner.

th_d_07.jpg

Radiator cover.

th_d_08.jpg th_d_09.jpg

Is there an official release date for this kit? All I can find is January but not the exact date.

This month from Eduard, someone said theirs shipped from Eduard already...I'd guess NA customers will be getting it the end of this month or next.

Gun cover could be better - the bulges are very pronounced, a'la Tamiya.

th_d_20.jpg th_d_21.jpg

Wheels are thicker than Anton's, still some 0.2mm thinner than resin wheels shown - but diameter is good. And although not visible in the photo, face of the wheel is dished in the wrong direction. But it's a very minor point - wheels look pretty good overall.

th_d_22.jpg

Propeller blades have slight problem - but their length and width is good I think.

th_d_23.jpg

Radiator cover is pretty nice IMO. Radiator has detail on both sides, flaps can be installed opened or closed. No actuators are provided, and flaps are strangely thick inside (not a complaint BTW).

th_d_24.jpg th_d_25.jpg th_d_26.jpg

Eduard fuselage is a few millimeters longer than Trimaster's, and as I mentioned fits Abe's plans very well. I haven't measured crossections, but it looks good to a naked eye.

th_d_27.jpg

Windscreen seems the same as in Anton, so it might be a tad too wide. Wings in plan view look OK.

Directly from Eduard.

Thanks a lot for the photos ch9862!

Do you mind telling us where you are located? I don't mean the whole address, just if Europe, North America... And when did you order your copy?

I was thinking about ordering directly from Eduard as well.

Thanks

William

Wings.

th_d_36.jpg

Fuselage.

th_d_37.jpg th_d_38.jpg th_d_39.jpg th_d_40.jpg

Supercharger intake.

th_d_42.jpg

Do you mind telling us where you are located? I don't mean the whole address, just if Europe, North America... And when did you order your copy?

I'm in Germany, and I got the kit within 10 days from ordering.

I'm in Germany, and I got the kit within 10 days from ordering.

Thanks ch9862!

A fellow countryman! I spent over 30 years in the most southern part of Bavaria. Greetings from North Carolina! Great comparison on the 190 kits btw!

Das ist ja super, nen Landsmann auf ARC! Ich selbst hab über dreißig Jahre im schönen Oberbayern gelebt. Grüße aus North Carolina! Übrigens, toller Vergleich der vorhandenen 190er Bausätze!

William

Thanks ch9862!

A fellow countryman!

You're welcome. Actually, I'm not German - I'm here temporarily :D.

I'm a little annoyed with Eduard's Fw-190 kits. Their designers seem to have missed the forest for the trees in a few cases ;). Their Dora looks better than Anton (which in itself is not the worst kit out there), but it annoys me to think about how many small things they got right, only to miss few more obvious ones. And the problems with Dora are not all new - I guess feedback from Antons was not loud enough to reach them...

I hope Hasegawa will make Fw-190D in 1/48 at some point - and that they'll get the shape right :).

Hello ch9862

Thank you for the photographs. In my opinion it looks to be a very nice kit and I definitely would want to add it to my collection. The only areas that appear to be need of improvement are the canopy which is anything but blown and the upper gun cover bulges which seem to be slightly off. However, I am sure both parts will be easily correctable through aftermarket parts. I do wonder why all manufactures seem to get the machine gun bulges wrong. Aside of that, though, it seems to be excellent overall and I should point out that this is the first 1/48 Fw 190 D-9 with the correct wheel well.

Horrido!

Leo

I thought Eduard was getting better. I just don't get these inaccuracies and errors in a new 2010 kit after they have done so many FW kits. I have their F6F Hellcat kits and it is so nice, easy to assemble and pretty darn accurate (minus the wheel issues but hey that is why there is Ultracast and their great wheels). But the canopy issue to me is just unacceptable.

How do all you others feel about this kit?

Hi all,

I've just bought this kit off ePray late last night and IMHO once built it'll sure have the looks of a Dora.I've got tons of AM stuff for Antons and Doras from all manufacturers and after checking at them I think that it won't be a hard job to turn the new Eduard Dora into a show-stopper...providing the fit of parts is not problematic as it is on their Antons!The fuselage lenght issue will be hardly noticeable and the vertical stab can be corrected using a very useful part from Eagle Editions.

I'll probably build mine with the engine exposed,adapting the nice FM set for the DML/Trimaster Doras...let's see how it'll turn out!

Mesher many thanks for starting this topic,would you mind posting a picture of the wheel wells and the rearengine plug?

Cheers

Manny

I thought Eduard was getting better. I just don't get these inaccuracies and errors in a new 2010 kit after they have done so many FW kits. I have their F6F Hellcat kits and it is so nice, easy to assemble and pretty darn accurate (minus the wheel issues but hey that is why there is Ultracast and their great wheels). But the canopy issue to me is just unacceptable.

Can't wait to build a whole bunch!

I'm with you on this one Mesher. You'd think after all the flak Eduard has gotten with their other Fw releases that they'd truly make that much more of an effort to get it right. Apparently that's not the case though....for if you're Eduard, people will buy....despite the flaws. ~spoken with sarcasm~

Greg

I'm with you on this one Mesher. You'd think after all the flak Eduard has gotten with their other Fw releases that they'd truly make that much more of an effort to get it right. Apparently that's not the case though....for if you're Eduard, people will buy....despite the flaws. ~spoken with sarcasm~

Greg

Actually, I buy lots of flawed kits, from a lot of companies. Big stash of kits from Hasegawa, Tamiya, Eduard, MPM, Special Hobby, Azur, Academy, Dragon, Trumpeter, Classic Airframes, Accurate Miniatures, Revell, Monogram, and others. If I waited for only perfect kits, I wouldn't have much to work on.

I'll fix what I feel like fixing, and enjoy the building and painting process.

I don't think he was trying to say he expected it to be perfect but when you already have so many FW's out there on the market it is not like Eduard did not know the issues around this subject matter and in today's time with a high end manufacturer they could of made things a bit more correct and better. There will never be a perfect kit of any plane, and we don't build for museums so that is okay, but the scale size, dimensions, canopy (right shape and good fit), right type/size of wheels, all these I think are important things that there is no excuse for messing up. Yes there is always lot's of aftermarket stuff to replace wrong parts etc, but with the price of kits today you should not have to persue that avenue. And is Eduard not the company that everyone says it is great because you get everything you need in the box from PE to Resin to good decals?

Actually, I buy lots of flawed kits, from a lot of companies. Big stash of kits from Hasegawa, Tamiya, Eduard, MPM, Special Hobby, Azur, Academy, Dragon, Trumpeter, Classic Airframes, Accurate Miniatures, Revell, Monogram, and others. If I waited for only perfect kits, I wouldn't have much to work on.

I'll fix what I feel like fixing, and enjoy the building and painting process.

I completely agree with you my fellow modeller, in fact, I have built an ancient Monogram P-51D kit, and I love it.We have a saying in Spanish " Lo perfecto es enemigo de lo bueno"..."what is perfect is enemy from the good"...so, I agree there is not nor never will be the perfect kit, all have their pros and cons, but, for example, if the Eduard D-9 looks like a D-9 once you have finished it, then it is good enough for me!.... :boohoo: