to be honest, you can take publication quality shots with any camera, you dont need high-end DSLR with pro-kit lenses. All depends on what type of shot you are taking - close up (detail), general (whole model) shots? The best tips really is "use a tripod" - that allows you to get level shots and, more importantly, steady/clear shots (no camera shake).

for lighting, dont have it too bright - casues high-contrast and harsh shadows - if possible natural light (filtered through net curtains to make it "ambient") will work perfectly - no need for studio set up....

having said that, I do have a DSLR (ok 5 years old now) and good quality lenses. Will use off-camera lighting (just a flash not full studio setup)... I just wish my modelling lived up to my desire to take photos ;-)

I've sold articles using film (hard), a regular digital and a DSLR. A DSLR will make it easier in some ways, but the biggest issue is having well composed pictures that "say a 1000 words". Nothing is more frustrating than reading of some cool technique or build, then having no idea which picture (if any) relate to the text. With most decent digitals these days you can get exceptionally high quality images that can rival the RAW images on a DSLR. Figuring out lighting and focus is crucial regardless of the camera type, as robw points out. A DSLR will make a well lit, well composed picture a bit better than a regular digital, but nothing can fix a crappy shot.

Also look at your target magazine--are the photos always shadowless, or are some shadows OK? Do all pictures (even in progress shots) have an antiseptic blue background, or can you take shots on your desk?

Once you get the composition and lighting basics down, the type of camera is much less critical.

DSLR (I use a Nikon D-40), a Macro or wide angle lens. The must have factor (for me), is a ring light. You can by them on eBay for about $60 - $70 bucks. It makes all the difference in the world.

I recommend a DSLR due to the fact you'll need good depth of field and macro capability. With a DSLR, you can attach a Macro lens and use the aperture priority setting to get a decent depth of field. In aperture priority, you set the F stop and the camera selects a matching shutter speed. I too often see images of models where only one or two inches are in focus and the front and rear are soft. Just my two cents.

All good points above, i'll add a few

1. forget about Megapixels shmixels, unless your'e blowing up to like A1 or larger its all advertising hype...a 5 yr old 6Mp camera can produce quality shots.

2. lighting as mentioned is crucial, try to create a natural feel in your setup.

remember its the whole composition as much as the subject that makes a great image.

try shooting from uncovention al angles too, to give a realistic perspective of the size of the subject i.e an aircraft

3. If your on a budget,try to get hold of a s/h Canon 300D or 350D off EBay for starters, both award winning DSLRs, should be under $150. A decent lens is much more important, preferably with macro capabilities although most modern DSLRs have some form of macro ability already built in.

No need to blow the wad unless you want to make money taking pictures. I was in a pinch one time and had to borrow SWMBO's Canon Power Shot S3 is. On a tripod, pictures came out great. Don't let anybody talk you into spending rent and car payment money on your first DSLR camera. That will come later.

CANON S3

• 1 month later...

Cheapest solution. Get a Gary Fong Puffer light diffuser, stick it over your compact camera flash and take the picture. That will diffuse the light enough so that you don't get any flash reflections on the kit. Simple enough. $30-40.00 That's all you need to spend.