Are there any external differences between an F-104J and an F-104G? More specifically, what are the differences (if any) between the two Hasegawa 1/48 kits?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The primary difference between the F-104J and the F-104G is the main wheel area. The G model has the larger main wheels and bulged main gear doors, while the F-104J (and CF-104) has the smaller main wheels and no bulges on the main gear doors. The only exception to this rule is the Danish CF-104s converted to F-104G standard.

Another difference - but this one depends on the user - is the ejection seat. The F-104J has the Lockheed C-2 seat where as many F-104G users had the Martin Baker Mk. 7 seat. IIRC both seats are included in the F-104G model, but only the C-2 seat is included in the J model.

HTH,

Jens

www.amarc.dk

In addition to Jens' info, some F-104J's had a navigation light added on the horizontal tail, and the underbelly AIM-9 launchers were ofg a somewhat different configuration than those on the F-104G.

HTH,

Andre

Thank you both for the helpful information.

In addition to Jens' info, some F-104J's had a navigation light added on the horizontal tail, and the underbelly AIM-9 launchers were ofg a somewhat different configuration than those on the F-104G.

HTH,

Andre

IIRC both seats are included in the F-104G model, but only the C-2 seat is included in the J model.

The first release of the F-104G, the NATO Starfighter has only the MB seats and the bulged gear doors. Same for the first TF-104G boxing with the German bird on the box art.

As well, the F-104J has a small infrared seeker housing at the base of the windscreen (molded onto the Hasegawa part) that was not present on the F-104G -to my knowledge, at least.

This was a feature on the 'G as well - here is a closeup to the IR seeker on a Belgian museum aircraft.

This site has a great walkaround of just about every centimeter of the '104 - click on the links under "Lockheed F-104G dossier" on the left side of the page.

HTH,

Andre

As well, the F-104J has a small infrared seeker housing at the base of the windscreen (molded onto the Hasegawa part) that was not present on the F-104G -to my knowledge, at least.

Cheers,

Sean

I believe the G model had that small IR seeker in front of the windscreen, however, the CF-104s did not. The Danish F-104Gs had that seeker, and the CF-104s and CF-104Ds that were bought by the RDAF were retrofitted with it.

HTH,

Jens

www.amarc.dk

Don't forget to have a look at the coming improvement set (in injection plastic) for all the Hasegawa Starfighter kits at http://ultra.glo.be/daco ...

Danny

Hey Danny,

Forgive my skepticism but this improvement set has been in the works for a very long time. By the looks of what is still required to be done and the amount of time it's taken to get to this point I feel that your above comment is a bit misleading.

Cheers,

John

This site has a great walkaround of just about every centimeter of the '104 - click on the links under "Lockheed F-104G dossier" on the left side of the page.

HTH,

Andre

Thanks very much for the link, Andre. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.