The Great Waldo Pepper on DVD

Pre-orders at Deep Discount for $11.06. Free shipping. Deep Discount

I usually don't plug anybody's website but I've been doing a search on TGWP for years now. I know, it's not BluRay which...may come some day. But, if it's a high-density DVD in widescreen, I'll take it. One of my all-time favorites and will take a place of honor on the top shelf with "The Spirit Of St Louis", "The Flight Of The Phoenix", "The Bridges At Toko-Ri", "Strategic Air Command" (bootleg but very nice), "The Right Stuff", "The Blue Max" and several others.

It's about time it was re-released on DVD. Hopefully, it's not a formatted for TV screen production...that would hurt.

"Smile son, don't disconcert the masses"

"You fought Kessler?" "Once, over the Hurkin Woods"

"You are Pepper, yes?"

"Yes, I am"

"You ver in zum trubble. It is ovah now, yes?"

"No"

And great flying scenes!!!

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

Hey! That's good news! I would hope they get the aspect ratio right, as NOTHING messes up a great film like bad pan and scan (as witness the gawdawful transfer of "Roxanne" which pretty much makes the film--one of my all-time favorite comedies--unwatchable).

At any rate, here's hoping "The Great Waldo Pepper" will be available in anomorphic letterbox; I could not even begin to imagine those great flying sequences in full screen.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Also found "The McConnell Story" which has been on my search list for years.

It's not a digitally remastered version, just a good clean copy from existing video media, I presume. But...in a way, I kind of like the little bit of fuzzyness, if in fact it has any. Kinda makes it a period piece...and it's in anamorphic widescreen. I watched a preview on Warner Brothers video sales and it looked pretty good.

Last time I saw that movie was in about 1977 on TV. Looks a whole lot more interesting in CinemaScope. Thanks to wide screen TVs, I can really enjoy the classics.

OBD, I'm thinking that Waldo will be a similar effort. Anamorphic but not digitally re-mastered. That's fine, too. If it comes out on BluRay, that would be a miracle in my book.

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
Pre-orders at Deep Discount for $11.06. Free shipping. Deep Discount

I usually don't plug anybody's website but I've been doing a search on TGWP for years now. I know, it's not BluRay which...may come some day. But, if it's a high-density DVD in widescreen, I'll take it. One of my all-time favorites and will take a place of honor on the top shelf with "The Spirit Of St Louis", "The Flight Of The Phoenix", "The Bridges At Toko-Ri", "Strategic Air Command" (bootleg but very nice), "The Right Stuff", "The Blue Max" and several others.

It's about time it was re-released on DVD. Hopefully, it's not a formatted for TV screen production...that would hurt.

"Smile son, don't disconcert the masses"

"You fought Kessler?" "Once, over the Hurkin Woods"

"You are Pepper, yes?"

"Yes, I am"

"You ver in zum trubble. It is ovah now, yes?"

"No"

And great flying scenes!!!

Great news.

Better than The Blue Max and The Red Baron dreck.

Fantastic ...

I love The Great Waldo Pepper ...

I think it's a highly underrated film by the masses ...

Gregg

I think it's just unknown, which is strange considering it's the "Butch & Sundance" team (minus Paul), still .

This thread is a great excuse for me to buy it and enjoy this great film once more.

I cried the first time I saw it (just a little, it was more like dust in my eye or something).

Thanks VADM!

The Great Waldo Pepper is one of my all time favorites. One of the first movies I remember seeing, even named the cat we had at the time Waldo Pepper.

I have the pan and scan DVD, one of the first I got when we got our DVD player. Hopefully this release will be wide screen and have some extras.

Thanks for the heads up.

mason

I actually picked up a Waldo Pepper DVD in the five buck bin at Wally World six or seven years ago. Unfortunately when I got home I discovered it wasn't widescreen, and I've never actually bothered to watch it.

SN

• 1 month later...