1/48 Revell Strike Eagle

Some early progress shots of my F-15E build. First off though, a huge thanks to those who offered assistance when I posted to earlier regarding the cracked canopy. Great news, I have a replacement courtesy of ixgr1

Seats/cockpit -painting started ... some weathering etc to go. Not too bad for kit parts

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

I tackled the top wing join before doing anything else - ignored instructions and glued top wing to fuselage before attaching lower wing. This ensured a pretty good fit

IMG_1563.jpg

I repositioned the tailplanes to give it a little more character (hence the notes to self about which is left and right)

IMG_1562.jpg

I basically built the thing backwards... everything I could except the cockpit was stuck together

IMG_1561.jpg

I've started messing around trying to replicate the heat discolouration typical on the burner cans of operational aircraft.... haven't got there quite yet (oh, and should've painted inside first. Now I'll have to mask the outside!)

IMG_1556.jpg

Some progress shots... cockpit installed and nose section attached to fuselage. Wish I'd read StrikeEagle's post about not needing nose weights before I'd reached this point... I'll just have to pray the kit nosegear is fairly strong.

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

And a shot for comparative purposes... my 1/48 Hurricane is dwarfed by the Eagle

IMG_1582.jpg

I've just noticed that intake is quite seated right... doh

Careful with using marker to mark the tailplanes. If that's Sharpie, and you're painting with acrylic (not sure about enamel,) the paint might dissolve the sharpie, leaving weird purple blotches. Make sure to wipe the marker off the tail with some alcohol (dry-erase whiteboard cleaner works well) before you paint it.

Careful with using marker to mark the tailplanes. If that's Sharpie, and you're painting with acrylic (not sure about enamel,) the paint might dissolve the sharpie, leaving weird purple blotches. Make sure to wipe the marker off the tail with some alcohol (dry-erase whiteboard cleaner works well) before you paint it.

Thanks. I tend to wipe models with spirits before painting anyway - which removes any markings I've added to aid construction and keys the surface for paint... those markings are already gone in the second bunch of photos.

IMG_1582.jpg

Thats a nice looking hurricane model you have. The local musuem has a hurricane under restoration to flying status that will be marked up in this shceme.

here is how she looks now:

007.jpg

and here is a link to the webpage about it

and now for soehtign related to this post..that is a great looking mudhen. I love the work youve done on the cockpit..very clean.

Sean

Thats a nice looking hurricane model you have. The local musuem has a hurricane under restoration to flying status that will be marked up in this shceme.

Beautiful photo. Lets hope the museum paint the fuselage band and spinner sky not the light blue I used (after following the Aeromaster instructions). I just had a look through the website - some great photos there. Nice to see photographic proof a skeleton was painted on both sides of the aircraft - IIRC, Aeromaster were unsure about that, so left it to the builder to guess whether to apply the decals to both sides.

Edited by nzdavidh