SHould I buy a mini sandblaster?

I did some poor paintjobs on a wheel and painted an underside elevator olive drab as opposed to nuetral gray. So I need to get the paint off, I tried soaking the wheel in brake fluid but to no avail. I mean I guess I can respray it with primer, but if I want the details (Which are already handicapped from sanding off putty on the wheel treads) to be clearer, I need to get the paint and primer off.

Am I gonna have to shell out some bucks for a mini sandblaster by badger, or is there another way?

I don't know anything about sandblasting but I wouldn't try it. Surely sandblasting would damage the detail particularly because plastic is so soft relative to the sand particles you will be blasting.

There are several paint removing products that will work. Easy-Lift-Off by Polly S is available in many hobby shops and works well. I have also used "EasyOff" Oven Cleaner with success. If you have used Gunze's Aqueous Hobby Color, simple old Windex works well. Speak to your local hobby store and they may well have something.

Soak the items in the solvent of choice and when the paint is soft and wrinkly, use a toothbrush.

Good luck.

Warwick

I've been tempted by those mini-sandblasters. Was told even one of the small ones would be too aggressive for plastic. YMMV.

Brake fluid has worked well for me several times...but it needs a long soak, i.e. 4+ hours.

Rick in Maine

Edited by Rick in Maine

Easy Off fumeless oven cleaner works very well. Be sure to wear gloves because if you don't you will chemically burn your hands. Spray it on the parts, let it sit for about a half hour then scrub it off lightly with an old toothbrush. Eye protection is a great idea too!

:huh:, There's another liquid product called easy-lift-off or ELO. You can put some on the end of a normal paint brush and just work it into the paint and agitate it a little, (not too much though or it will damage the surface). Then just let it sit for a few hours and then rinse of with clean fresh water and wipe dry.

:rofl:,

Ross.

Using a solvent to remove paint is only part of the process. Elbow grease is the other. You might have to do a little scraping action with a blunt tool to get the paint to lift off. I use wooden sculpting tools as they are strong, tend not to cut or gouge into the plastic yet are strong enough to really work the paint free. I do the rubbing part under warm running water. Works like a charm. But not if you use brake fluid! I prefer Simple Green, Bleach White or Castrol Super Clean.

Sandblasting tends to damage the surface, mostly pitting. Finding the right media is tough too. I know there is a technique using a sandblaster to do surface texturing to replicate canning effect, but in general it is not suitable for removing of paint from plastic.

If one chemical doesn't work, rinse and use another. The combination will eventually break down the paint, but don't forget the elbow grease!

By the way, a sandblaster (even a mini airbrush one) will absolutely remove all details completely and far less discriminating at doing so than hand sanding. Even using the finest grain plastic, plant, or silica it wins against resin or styrene kits.