Mosquito Mk VI

Hey guys. I started work on my Tamiya Mosquito. I've been wanted to build this little guy for a while now. Well, nows the time!

The cockpit and bomb bay forms one continuous assembly. I kinda butchered the painting of the radio faces but life is not perfect and neither am I!

I added the gun site reflector from clear plastic card. I used Vallejo paints for the details.

IMG_4516.jpg

Eduard pre-painted photoetch was used to dress up the cockpit.

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

The gun barrels were painted with alclad gunmetal and buffed with mig gunmetal pigment.

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

Edited by Isaac

Isaac,

OOooh I get all excited when I see such clear, detalied work on the cockpit.....and THOSE seats ARE JUST EXQUISITE... :cheers::wave:

The gun barrels are so relaistic that I feel as if you could quite easily fire from them...FLAWLESS workmanship... :)

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I have the fuselage closed up. The wings are not glued. Just checking the fit which is awesome. I think I will need some filler at the wing roots.

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

Should this seam be filled?

IMG_4532.jpg

The gun barrels here were also drilled out and given the alclad/mig pigment gunmetal treatment.

IMG_4537.jpg

Thanks guys!

Well, I managed to drop my mosquito while putting mr dissolved putty on the seams. The damage was relatively minor. I broke two of the nose guns and I cut the other two off. I already ordered some turned metal barrels (which I was actually planning on doing anyway).

IMG_4542.jpg

The landing gear assembly requires a fully painted and weathered wheel before everything gets glued together.

I started with a base coat of tamiya nato black.

IMG_4538.jpg

Then I tried to add some mig pigments using the "thinner for washes" everything was going splendidly until I started removing the pigments. Some of the paint began to chip off every so slightly. So, I went back to my airbrush station and painted with tamiya nato black covering up mostly the chips and toned down the pigments. Then I went at the outside of the tires with tamiya flat earth and some small patches on the side walls. Finally, I toned this down with an extra thin mix of nato black. Some of the pigments is still visible.

Needs some touchup. It was difficult getting the tape to conform over the hub surface.

IMG_4539.jpg

There are two styles of hubs. I'm not sure which to use.

IMG_4545.jpg

Here is the scheme she will be finished in. Should I use the narrow or wide prop blades?

IMG_4548.jpg

The hubs should be the one on the Right, the ones in the left were used on early mosquito's and night fighter variants.

And props, usually I've seen pictures of LA E with wide propellers.

Thanks buddy! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of the painting is done. I did some subtle mottles in a lighter shade of gray. I tried to keep it subtle. I need to do more to break up the massive shades of gray. What do you guys think? Paint some panels in lighter shades?

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

My turned brass barrels came in. I wore off some of the tips inadvertently.

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

Stunning work! Very crisp and looks just perfect. Can't wait to see more. And for an OOB cockpit, as you mentioned, you've done an amazing job. The PE parts are a nice touch too. The bomb bay looks very impressive as well. What really takes the cake so far though is your work on the landing gear. Your efforts to give the rubber the used look really came out brilliant.

Right now I've got half a mind to go home and pull out my 1/24 Mossie and start crackin' away on that one.

Cheers good Sir!

Mark.

Thanks guys!

I went back and masked and sprayed some of the upper surface panels Dark Sea Gray. I also mottled the upper surface a bit more. I then went back over with some very thinned Extra Dark Sea Gray to tone down the panels. Well I think I faded way to much because in these pictures, I can hardly tell the difference. :wacko: :wacko: Its most noticeable if you look at the tail control surfaces.

Before

IMG_4911.jpg

After

IMG_4932.jpg

I also went over panel lines on the bottom with tamiya smoke.

IMG_4933.jpg

Well, I'm putting this one aside until the weekend. I think I might go back and spray those panels again with a 50:50 mix of extra dark and dark sea gray. I try to go conservative with weathering. I think I am too conservative.

Edited by Isaac