After seeing Erwins very nice build-up of the 1:32 JU-87, I decided that I wanted to dig mine out of the stash.

Last year I was TDY to a couple of locations that had museums and in one of them there were some hand carved wooden aircraft models on display. I think it was at the Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins Georgia, but I have looked at the web site and cannot find any info. The exhibit was incredible, especially since he carved all the aircraft out of wood. I wish that I could remember the gentleman's name. If anyone out there knows what I am talking about please let me know. I am stealing one of his ideas and trying to build my Stuka in a dive.

This is just a quick, How I built the base and wasn't really sure where to put it. The kit will be OOB. I usually build my aircraft in flight, and thought a dive bomber would look good, dive bombing.

I went to Michaels and bought a cheap wood cube for $3. A little sanding, some stain and few clear coats had it looking pretty good. I then used my dremel to cut a grove in the top.

Stukabase3071.jpg

First I used a cardboard template to figure out how to mount the kit and get the dimensions that I needed. This was transfered to a 11x14x.093 sheet of acrylic purchased at the local home improvement store.

Stukabase3076.jpg

I will attach this to the wood block with clear sealant so that it will look like this...

Stukabase3077.jpg

This is a picture with the kit in progess to get an idea of what I am trying to do. Overall it was pretty cheap base to make, less than $10 for the materials.

Stukabase3080.jpg

I am sure you all have heard some version of the old measure twice, cut once saying. Well, I would like to add that you should also look all the way throught the instructions prior to cutting. After cutting a grove, and adding additional support for the acrylic, I noticed that I forgot to allow for the bomb location on the bottom of the aircraft. My grove goes right through that area. Now I will have to either cut a groove into the bomb as well or have a dive bomber with no bomb. Its always something...

Thanks for looking

Els

Looks nice. Here's a different approach I tried on my SBD. I added a prop blurred effect later with a clear disk, not shown below. This approach left room for the bomb.

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009003.jpg

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009005.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

All,

Thanks for the positive comments and suggestions for the bomb. I have made some progress with the kit. It is pretty much together and nearly ready for paint. I have just set it on the base for this photo. If I made another, I think I would use a little bit thicker acrylic sheet. This one holds it, but there is a little bit of a wobble.

Stuka3086.jpg

Progress was slowed because the company accidentaly gave me 2 left side tails. Since they are out of business, I had to modify one of the sides to make it a right.

Toadwbg, I like your SBD. That is a good idea running the support through the prop.

As far as the bomb goes, I think that I will just take the easy way out and mount some smaller bombs on the wings. I was thinking about gluing the bomb to the acrylic to make it looked like it had already been released, but it looked like two sides of a bomb glued to acrylic.

Els

:blink: Don't take that dive again... gotta push thru that band o' rain!

Stuka3086.jpg

:D Noooice way to display a Stuka, Els, bloke! Me likes! Me thinks ya could still do as toad did about the bomb if ya cut the cradle in half and fix it to the lower fuselage. Next ya could attach the assembled bomb as though it'd been already released, to the edge of the clear stand by means of a tiny piece of wire drilled and glued both to the tip of the bomb and then to the edge of the clear stand.

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009003.jpg

Awesome, Toad! That's the Monogram 1/48 beautiful Slow But Dauntless, ain't it, mate? Is that the way the bomb was released on a fatal dive?

Incidentally; me's got a song for both of yer builds, blokes: Clickie there...!!!

Caught in Static 18! Automatic 18...!!! :lol:

Cheers, down 'n' out; or was it down 'n dirty? Over 'n' out. :D

Unc²

Uncle Uncool,

Thanks for the link. Thats a cool song. I am more of a Metallica type music fan but by the time the girls voice kicked in, I was bobbing my head and tapping my toe to the music. I looked for it on iTunes, but no luck. There are about a million versions of tubular bells though.

I tried the method you suggested with the bomb but it looked a little off because of how far forward the acrylic is. It pushed the bomb out in front of the aircraft, and it looked like the bomb had fallen faster than the aircraft. I tried dremeling a groove into the bomb so that it would sit back farther but that looked kind of crappy because you could see the inside of the bomb through the acrylic.

The kit is finished. I will post some pictures in the critique corner later tonight

Els.