Hey boys you gotta see this one!

Even the tired paint can't hide the great lines on that old bird. Looks fast and powerful. So many of those classic twins need expensive spar repair few people can afford to get them air worthy again. Thanks for posting

Edited by Unit19

I had a friend who used to fly a souped-up Lockheed like that around the Caribbean. They got tailed once upon a time by a Customs Service Cessna Citation. The Customs guys, being Customs guys, thought they'd be sneaky and come up underneath. They were spotted, and Steve said the guy in the left seat just firewalled the throttles on the old girl and left the Slowtation in the dust. He said they were on the ground at Opa Locka having a Coke by the time Customs landed :yahoo:

J

There's a thread over on Warbird Informatino Exchange with complete details of the recovery. The plane had indeed been parked at a private dirt strip since 1994. The new owners were actually able to fire up the engines with minimal trouble, although they did have to rebuild the carbs, and replace a fuel boost pump, along with the wheels and brakes (which had sunk into the ground.) Someone had purchased the property last spring, and was planning to scrap the plane unless someone got it out of there by Oct. 6..the guys beat the dealine by a couple of days.

According to Taigh, the plan is to restore her to original military configuration, complete with the rare PV-2D gun nose (which currenly has a loudspeaker installed in it for some unknown reason.)

Incidentally, the engines were "new in the can" and installed not long before she was parked, and only have about 20 hours on them since they were manufactured 65 years ago!

SN

The PV series was developed from a fast passenger transport aircraft, the Lockheed Lodestar. As such, it was fast for the type. It never caught on domestically, though, coming in the wake of the DC-3 as it did. But it was used by overseas operators before WWII, the most notable being the RAF.

It looks very nice and what a resurrection story she makes. It has always been one of my favorites.

Hi,

Hope I´m not hi-jacking here but talking of beautiful twins. Anyone seen the recent Amelia Earhart movie (featuring Hilary Swank). Well I saw it and great was the surprise a few weeks later to find that the very Beechcraft 18 used in that movie (Ex-South African registered) is now based at my hometown of Swakopmund in Namibia. It is used now to fly high rolling tourists on sight-seeing flights over our desert. :cheers:

Pierre

Hi,

Hope I´m not hi-jacking here but talking of beautiful twins. Anyone seen the recent Amelia Earhart movie (featuring Hilary Swank). Well I saw it and great was the surprise a few weeks later to find that the very Beechcraft 18 used in that movie (Ex-South African registered) is now based at my hometown of Swakopmund in Namibia. It is used now to fly high rolling tourists on sight-seeing flights over our desert. :stooges:

Pierre

No but speaking of beautiful twins, Shyla Stylez popped up on my radar today....