Sorry to hear that ElectroSoldier..

Instead of carrying out gritting work the local council here started road works near MY home on the main road..

So when I come out of the cul-de sac{Only 7 residents }..I cannot turn right or left until the traffic lights change

and I cant see them so I have to wait until someone actually flashes ME to let ME out or I wait till cars fly by...

....I cannot see past the front of the car as the road works are to MY right and they have

gotten those red and white striped wooden fences and T/L's so the vision is obscured..and they have just left it...

The ice on the main road is treacherous and One car has aleady gone into the hole of the road works,,,

No blinking grit near or around it...... No signs to warn road users ...

And of course they dont grit our entrance to the cul-de-sac from the main road...

I DID THAT today for MYSELF and MY neighbors with some rock salt...so WE dont

go skating ! Gritted the whole area...!

Instead of your council doing that ONE would have thought that is was more important to GRIT the

steep hill to prevent anyone having a serious accident or killing someone ! :) :worship:

Get yourself some heaters to start with......frozen pipes do burst and that is not good. Also...turn on your kitchen tap and maybe other taps to a slight dribble 24/7....this will help prevent the pipes from freezing. Moving water can't freeze as easily.

:)

In Canada we dress warm....grab some beers and lawn chairs and sit nearby hills like this to watch the action. Olympic style judging number cards are always a great way to rate the quality of the crashes. :)

Always look at the positive side to every situation. :worship:

It wasnt unlike that to be honest SB.

Most of the neighbours heard the first crash, because it was one hell of an impact (took out three parked cars and the car in front of him)

As we went out to see what was going to the drivers where in full swing... aportining etc etc then the police turned up and it really got going then, a full scale argument from all car owners as to why they dont close the road etc etc...

Anyway after the copper calmed them down and got the cars moved to a safer position we (my neighbours etc) we stood watching (it was a slow tv nite) and another car came down the road LOL!!!!

All I heard was "oh heres another one" and an "oh here we go" followed by the not so gentle crack of body panel on body panel...

Well you can imagine what followed... copper was in instant replay mode, and after spending about 45minute to 1hr watching the evenings events another came down the road lol...

Not long after the 3rd crash the copper got on his wireless and told the station to get some bodies down to close off all the side roads and main roads to our road... I think it was as much to do with the fact there was nowhere to move the damaged cars to as much as anything else. lloll

I tell you though. was of them was a really nice looking car.....

at the top of the hill anyway

it started looking ok in the middle

and by the time it got to the bottom it has a nose and *** only a mother can call cute lol

Wow, that's making feel fortunate how well the roads are handled here ...

When road work is going on here, it's always clearly marked ... Maybe because we're a more litigious society ?

Gregg

Wow, that's making feel fortunate how well the roads are handled here ...

When road work is going on here, it's always clearly marked ... Maybe because we're a more litigious society ?

Gregg

I think its more that we havent a clue how to drive in snow and ice...

One of the guys at work showed that in really quite a startling manner...

He stuck it in first gear realised he wasnt getting anywhere, pressed the gas peddle more and in the end went sideways into the wall of the car park!

I hate to go inside at that point because I didnt want a broken nose from him for laughting at him so much!

:)

Glad to help. Leaving taps running slightly was standard practice back in the 1930's when my Mom was a little girl and houses had no insulation. At that time their family home was heated by one wood burning stove in the kitchen.

I think its more that we havent a clue how to drive in snow and ice...

One of the guys at work showed that in really quite a startling manner...

He stuck it in first gear realised he wasnt getting anywhere, pressed the gas peddle more and in the end went sideways into the wall of the car park!

I hate to go inside at that point because I didnt want a broken nose from him for laughting at him so much!

It's a combination of practice at winter driving and your car properly equiped for driving in the winter.......proper snow tires are the first step.....and not just 2 of them....but 4 snow tires for proper traction when braking. All season tires are not snow tires. And even a set of tire chains (the wire type work well) for situations that require serious grip.

An AWD vehicle with 4 snow tires makes winter driving effortless.

We get the same amount of snow as London.....but I buy a set of snow tires on separate rims and only use them when I need them......they usually last me 10 - 20 years......so the cost per year is quite cheap.

As I type this, we are getting snow, in fact we have received 6-7 inches in the past 3 hours at my worksite here in Duluth. I drove my Expedition in tonight, as I get off at 7:00am, and to be honest, I doubt I will see plowed roads at that time.

I just checked, I shoveled out the walk and part of the driveway about an hour ago, there is almost 2 more inches down since then

As I type this, we are getting snow, in fact we have received 6-7 inches in the past 3 hours at my worksite here in Duluth. I drove my Expedition in tonight, as I get off at 7:00am, and to be honest, I doubt I will see plowed roads at that time.

I just checked, I shoveled out the walk and part of the driveway about an hour ago, there is almost 2 more inches down since then

Take care and stay safe.

Looks like you have a lot of work there...I guess Flying Fortress {Sean} is in the same plight as you ...

Best wishes

HOLMES :woot.gif::rofl:

edit Typing AND the temp is falling and it is Minus 6 now... :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES
Well the temp here is Minus 10 now ...BRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Where my girlfriend like, right now its -6, with a drop to -13 expected... in recent weeks its been down to -22 I think...

However a friend lives a little further east and right now its -31.... was -42 a couple of days ago))

It's a combination of practice at winter driving and your car properly equiped for driving in the winter.......proper snow tires are the first step.....and not just 2 of them....but 4 snow tires for proper traction when braking. All season tires are not snow tires. And even a set of tire chains (the wire type work well) for situations that require serious grip.

An AWD vehicle with 4 snow tires makes winter driving effortless.

We get the same amount of snow as London.....but I buy a set of snow tires on separate rims and only use them when I need them......they usually last me 10 - 20 years......so the cost per year is quite cheap.

Ive looked into the snow chains option... England has no like for them and the RTA has seemingly no tolerance for them...

Can use them on main road, nor roads which have been treated and your limited to 20mph... which means where I live I cant use them because to drive the 5 minute drive (7in snow) from my house to my work I would have to remove them 3 times if I follow the law... becuase only roads which have public transport (buses) are treated...

Snow tyres are a possibility but even if I was only to get a set for the two cars I use the most it would cost £1500 without the metal studs!

My girlfriends dad does that, keeps a set of winter tyres in the garage and get them fitted when the winter kicks in and just runs it like that until the spring.

Ive looked into the snow chains option... England has no like for them and the RTA has seemingly no tolerance for them...

Can use them on main road, nor roads which have been treated and your limited to 20mph... which means where I live I cant use them because to drive the 5 minute drive (7in snow) from my house to my work I would have to remove them 3 times if I follow the law... becuase only roads which have public transport (buses) are treated...

Snow tyres are a possibility but even if I was only to get a set for the two cars I use the most it would cost £1500 without the metal studs!

My girlfriends dad does that, keeps a set of winter tyres in the garage and get them fitted when the winter kicks in and just runs it like that until the spring.

Well, you could always get the chains and say "BOLLOCKS!" to the RTA since the snow removal tends to be so lax as they blame it on not normally happening in other years. When the unlikely event becomes regular, the line of thinking had better start changing.

If the typical British tyres these days are the same as what I had on my rental 1.6L Focus back in 2004 (i.e. useless for driving up even a slight incline with some slush on it) then I can see that not many people are going ANYWHERE anytime soon.

I've never been a big fan of snow. If anyone plays White Christmas by Bing Crosby, I have an overwhealming desire to shoot the stereo! :nanner:

Are things really that expensive in the UK?

Over here used rims from the auto wrecking yard are maybe $50 each and snow tires for $100 each shouldn't equal £1500 and it doesn't snow enough to outfit both cars with snow tires. I pay about $150 for a rim and snowtire......that comes to $600 or £300....and I'm being VERY generous on the exchange rates. Of course buying snow tires when there is snow on the ground is too late. Stuff like this is best done in advance.

Haven't read the whole thread but just noticed the mention of snow tyres above, was one the phone with my insurance people because my policy is up in the New Year and the mention of snow tyres came up, if you fit them some insurance companies see them as a modification and wont pay out if you haven't declared them and need to claim so just a heads up. We had about half a foot here last night but luckily I have 2 days off so didn't need to battle it into work for a change.

Haven't read the whole thread but just noticed the mention of snow tyres above, was one the phone with my insurance people because my policy is up in the New Year and the mention of snow tyres came up, if you fit them some insurance companies see them as a modification and wont pay out if you haven't declared them and need to claim so just a heads up. We had about half a foot here last night but luckily I have 2 days off so didn't need to battle it into work for a change.

... I concur and if your insurance won't insure you and you put them on, and get stopped by the Cops for a routine check of Documents , then they may jutst find some offence

under the Construnction and Use Act of ROAD TRAFFIC Regulations...{traffic Cops are SO keen!} :cheers:

... I concur and if your insurance won't insure you and you put them on, and get stopped by the Cops for a routine check of Documents , then they may jutst find some offence

under the Construnction and Use Act of ROAD TRAFFIC Regulations...{traffic Cops are SO keen!} :santa:

Insurance companies are the biggest thieves on the planet!

I dont think Ill be doing any of it this year anyway... might go with some chains if it comes to it, but I doubt it.

In my part of Canada .... if you are in an accident in the snow and your car doesn't have snow tires....then you can be found at fault by the insurance company for not properly equiping your car for the snow.

In my part of Canada .... if you are in an accident in the snow and your car doesn't have snow tires....then you can be found at fault by the insurance company for not properly equiping your car for the snow.

.....Because this kind of weather is more of an exception rather than the rule ,{But it may be that OUR winters are going to be harsher !}

the insurance companies looks upon SNOW Tires as a modified vehicle and will charge extra or not at all.... so you are between a rock and hard place..

to modify an vehicle without their prior knowledge etc will incur their wrath !{ In UK}

Edited by HOLMES