Travelling to Spokane Washington

Gents,

I am planning a trip to Spokane to visit my son who is playing hockey there this week-end, and I'll be hooking up onto the I-90 via just outside Seattle, and was wondering what I need to watch out for this time of year. I've never been there, so looking for info regarding bad weather precautions, if any. Also looking for recommendations for restaurants, and even hotel ideas in Spokane. Plan was stay in the Ramada suites or the Howard Johnson's in Spokane North. Are there places I should avoid. I won't have a ton of free time, but if there are hobby shops around :rofl:, I do know of the Hobbytown USA there, but are there others?

TIA Guys

Brad

Gents,

I am planning a trip to Spokane to visit my son who is playing hockey there this week-end, and I'll be hooking up onto the I-90 via just outside Seattle, and was wondering what I need to watch out for this time of year. I've never been there, so looking for info regarding bad weather precautions, if any. Also looking for recommendations for restaurants, and even hotel ideas in Spokane. Plan was stay in the Ramada suites or the Howard Johnson's in Spokane North. Are there places I should avoid. I won't have a ton of free time, but if there are hobby shops around :cheers:, I do know of the Hobbytown USA there, but are there others?

TIA Guys

Brad

Check out the White Elephant stores. They have EVERYTHING you would ever need from guns to models! There used to be two in Spokane..... the one that always seemed to have the largest selection was on the 1700 block of North Division. The other out on East Sprague had kits also. These stores are liquidator stores that buy up insurance stock but, they ALWAYS had a large selection of kits at great prices.

As to good food? Sneak across the state line to Wolf Lodge Steakhouse in Couer d'Alene, Idaho. You won't regret it! Man I need to get back up that way for a good steak!! :wub:

Oh! And keep an eye on the weather, Snoqualmie Pass on I90 can be a bear when the snow is heavy. If chains are required they will shut you down if you don't have them!

Randie 'Former Resident of Spokane' Coulter

Edited by RCoulter52

You are driving from Seattle to Spokane then? Okay, the biggest problem you are going to have weather-wise is Snoqualmie Pass. Here's the DOT website with up-to-date information about pass conditions. Other than that, you should be okay for travel on I-90. The DOT usually does a pretty good job of keeping it clear, unless there is a huge, overwhelming storm or something like that. Also, be aware that you are talking about a 5-6 hour drive (in good weather) clear across the state. About half-way between Seattle and Spokane is Ellensburg, where I live. It is a good place to stop and get a bite to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. The first exit you come to (exit 109) has a Perkins (family-style restaurant) and a Dairy Queen, whereas the second exit (106) has just about every fast-food joint you can think of. If you want, you can send me a PM and I can even meet you somewhere.

I can't be much help around Spokane, but this will at least give you a stopping place in the middle of your drive and let you know what the weather will be like.

Aaron

You are driving from Seattle to Spokane then? Okay, the biggest problem you are going to have weather-wise is Snoqualmie Pass. Here's the DOT website with up-to-date information about pass conditions. Other than that, you should be okay for travel on I-90. The DOT usually does a pretty good job of keeping it clear, unless there is a huge, overwhelming storm or something like that. Also, be aware that you are talking about a 5-6 hour drive (in good weather) clear across the state. About half-way between Seattle and Spokane is Ellensburg, where I live. It is a good place to stop and get a bite to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. The first exit you come to (exit 109) has a Perkins (family-style restaurant) and a Dairy Queen, whereas the second exit (106) has just about every fast-food joint you can think of. If you want, you can send me a PM and I can even meet you somewhere.

I can't be much help around Spokane, but this will at least give you a stopping place in the middle of your drive and let you know what the weather will be like.

Aaron

I used to stop at Exit 109 (Pilot) when I drove truck. I was through Ellensburg quite a bit. I had family down in Yakima.

Randie 'Loved Running the Northwest' Coulter

Hey Guys, thanks very much, I really appreciate the info. That DOT website is excelent. Hi Aaron, if I had the time, I'd stop, but the quicker I get to Spokane the sooner I get to hook up with my son.

Cheers

Brad

Check out the White Elephant stores. They have EVERYTHING you would ever need from guns to models! There used to be two in Spokane..... the one that always seemed to have the largest selection was on the 1700 block of North Division. The other out on East Sprague had kits also. These stores are liquidator stores that buy up insurance stock but, they ALWAYS had a large selection of kits at great prices.

I was stationed at Fairchild AFB in 1980-82. I remember those stores and spent a lot of money there! That was back when Revell was releasing the first series of "History Maker" kits and White Elephant had some really good deals on them.

I loved Spokane. It was a beautiful town then and I hope it still is. Fairchild was my favorite CONUS assignment. I should have gone back there to live when I retired from the Air Force.

I was stationed at Fairchild AFB in 1980-82. I remember those stores and spent a lot of money there! That was back when Revell was releasing the first series of "History Maker" kits and White Elephant had some really good deals on them.

I loved Spokane. It was a beautiful town then and I hope it still is. Fairchild was my favorite CONUS assignment. I should have gone back there to live when I retired from the Air Force.

Oh yea! They hurt my wallet in a big way while I was up there! :(

Randie 'Bought Entirely Too Much Stuff' Coulter

Try B&B Hobbies. It's a hole-in-wall shop on Francis heading east from North Division. Spokane also has a number of rather interesting restaurants. Azar's is really good if you're into Greek/Lebanese. There was also a decent Japanese restaurant in downtown Spokane, can't remember the name, though.

Perfect, that's where my hotel is.

Thanks

Brad

Try B&B Hobbies. It's a hole-in-wall shop on Francis heading east from North Division. Spokane also has a number of rather interesting restaurants. Azar's is really good if you're into Greek/Lebanese. There was also a decent Japanese restaurant in downtown Spokane, can't remember the name, though.

Brad,

If your going to make that drive, I would also pack yourself a cooler with some snacks and sodas cause there will be a strech of I-90 where there is nothing but farm land and some long side trips to get to a gas station or conveniance store. Also bring a fully stocked MP3 player or some CD's cause based on my experiences on making some trips it was something like 6hr in winter weather from the mountains to the outer reaches of Spokane. I would also suggest that when you get into Everett you tune to AM100 which is the local Seattle area all news station, they do traffic reports on the "fours" (ie at :04 minutes passed, :08, :12, etc) and usually give a serious in depth traffic with pass report at the quarter of the hour. That way you can keep up with what is going on at the passes.

Wow! I forgot all about them and I lived around the corner on East Dalke just off of North Nevada.

They had a fairly good selection of OOP kits and new stuff. But, if someone else was in there talking radio control or rockets? It didn't matter if you were there or not. That was my only complaint about the store. Other than there prices. One thing might be a steal (which wasn't very often) and another may be priced ridiculously high.

Randie

Hi Guys, My wife and I made it. The Pass was a whiteout, but was passable. THe sun came out just outside of Ellensburg as we were crossing the bridge over the columbia river...what a sight to behold, just beautiful. Thanks for all the advice guys, it's appreciated. I'll be sure to check out B&B.

Best Regards

Brad