OK, here we go. Amazon have just impressed me again, by delivering good references ordered Wednesday night. There is no excuse for further laziness. Here is what I want to build:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

ob shot to show it's still embagged:

DSC_0003.jpg

This is an Me262 (i.e. one of the prettiest jets ever made) only slightly uglified with extra bulges for the cameras and the main armament removed. The Revell models have impressed me with their neatness in the box, this is the first I'll actually build though. Onwards!

Patrick

Mike - cheers, hope to work to a standard...

Jeff - there's a fair few Fw189 pics in both Aufklarer volumes (4 in Vol1, 10 in Vol2), I'd say if you can get it, the MBI (Pavel Kucera/Denes Bernad/Stefan Androvic) Fw189 book* is a better reference for the one type though. There are some common shots between the two but the line drawings in the MBI are very nice.

And I envy you - I've got the MPM Uhu, chasing the Great Wall one...

Patrick

* ISBN 80-902180-6-7...

OK, here's some progress:

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Nacelles with the rear-facing 'zwiebels' blown over Alclad (pale burnt metal - it's nice :bandhead2:) so they could be fitted and the engines assembled, the back end of the fuselage halves joined so I could fit the single seat hump (it comes as the two-seater by default) and some work done on the wheel bays. This is how the Revell comes as standard:

DSC_0004.jpg

If you know the 262, you'll know the main bay is actually wide open to the elements and full of cool detail. Above just isn't good enough. What ultimately swings it for me though is the Revell actually comes with half the detail as native, admittedly with some ejector pin marks present (but this should be no biggie to sort.) See this:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Maybe they had to dumb it down for the console generation? Whatever, it's far too pretty to hide so I've cut the bays out with a JLC saw and have bought some Eduard etch to enhance the gaps with. Which also includes a third nose bay. The kit comes with two, and I've looked at 'em closely and can't see any difference (middle: main sprue = left, recce sprue = right)

DSC_0006.jpg

Anyway, th'Eduard set comes with an origami trick for a third shot - see first pic - and (having just fixed my Brinzan bender, after breaking it with Olympic-class incompetence) I might just give it a shot...

Onwards!

Patrick

Edited by Patrick_Nevin
Be sure to post more photos as you get further along.

Thanks, yes, been a bit of a demanding week so the evenings were largely recuperating with New Vegas instead of fine detail work. Still, got some etch work done today and plenty more to follow :banana:

Thanks for reading - Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update:

262_2010-02-06_3.jpg

Wheelbays mostly in, fuselage now shaved to fit them (mutter mutter, curse curse.) That's the Eduard folded seat and belts, next to it is the back end of the instrument panel, now with a bit of drink can ally setting on it so it can be attached without pain. Not sure I will put a gunsight in tempting though it is in eeny tiny scale*, since these birds were relatively unarmed (sources differ.)

Also in shot, undercarriage with wires added for brake lines, the folded front bay - still not convinced about this - and the underside of the cockpit tub with various holes being filled. The fuselage is in a vice as the bit forward of the wing is being bad and therefore pressured towards righteousness :rolleyes: Like most 262 models - I gather - and specifically Trimaster moulds, the underside is near flat and the butt joint (!) hence risks bowing one way or t'other without much provocation. No worries. Love the way Revell did the wing underside along the real panel lines, will make sanding far less of a chore.

OK - got to make meal now, domestic slave that I am. Bless her, she failed to bat an eyelid when I mentioned the $100 lighting kit that is in the post for the next project. This good attitude is well worth paying the odd bit of cooking (and mine IS most definitely odd.)

Patrick

* Does anyone do 144th Revis? Just wondering as I have Trumpeter & Eduard Schwalbes in this scale <_<

• 4 weeks later...
Looking good.

Thanks - then the canopy bit me :thumbsup:

262_2010-03-13.jpg

The OE version appears not to have liked the moulds and lacks the rear panel lines. Also seems a bit flared out at the rear. I bought a vac version (actually I shared a £200 order for £3 of canopy) and it has all the rear deck but doesn't fit particularly over the existing. I bit the bullet and faired in the old with Tippex and filler (which alas took weeks, as I hated the job.) Managed to scuff the canopy in the process - just tried out some quite exotic optic fibre sanding sheets which had their moments, but I eventually resorted to the best tool for the job i.e. girly nail polishing set (where would I be without these things?) So it's back on with more Gator glue and masking will follow when set...

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

That was too grey-blue. The next coat was white with a little 76 added, rather than the other way round. Looked OK, alas when I blew some greens over tonight I overdid it a bit:

2010-04-06_7.jpg

Wasn't happy with that so stripped it off again and blew some more base coat over. Back to the drawing board...

• 2 months later...

Sometimes life in the modeling world goes that way. I hope the next try works out better.

Cheers mister. IBTL!

Spent 2 months working on other models & other things, only the other day charged into it, hated the results I was getting with acrylics and....wait for it...the penny dropped and I reached for the enamels. Much easier. Must remember this...

262A1a_U3_72_Arc_Recce_build-1.jpg

Hence (just about) finished in time...

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Ah, model finished, strange airy feeling. The Hobby Boss 48th just arrived too, and I am tempted to have a look at doing this soon :)

Patrick