Academy 1/72 F/A-18C

This is a wonderful kit, i build one before. Good job!

thans Eri - pity it has been subjected to my clumsy building ;-) but I am enjoying the kit and may look at the other big box Acad kits in 1.72 (F-14, 15, 16 etc)

Good work so far Rob and keep it up.

thanks for the comment.....

ok so here she is... I have a few little touch ups to go and then building is done..... then on to weathering (slow this week as I am out from Wednesday....)

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

The Academy kit is a real gem to build and I think you're doing a great job so far on this one so far, rob! :thumbsup:

thanks Qian.... i do like the kit, so much that I am tempted to see what other f- kits they have (like the 16 & 14, not so much the 15).....

next is weathering... now in possesion of at least 1 image showing this actual bird actually being dirty so can give salt weathering a trial - not too much as dont want to spoil it as, for me, its a nice finish so far.....

+ ONE.... :rolleyes:

thanks HOLMES.....

photos.... using water-based oils this is what have I tried to do:

1) mimic muck between flaps & general dirt on upper wing surface (but not leading edge)

2) general much underneath

3) fade the walking strip from the bold black to look more used (maybe even more needed?)

thoughts comments - as it is water-based oils I am sure I can remove ... but would appreciate constructive comments as this is the first heavy weathering I have tried......

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

i do like the kit, so much that I am tempted to see what other f- kits they have (like the 16 & 14, not so much the 15).....

Personally, I'd avoid these as all have shape issues to a certain extent. I would recommend:

F-14: Hasegawa new tool, Fujimi

F-15, if you're so inclined: Hasegawa new tool

F-16: RoG, Hasegawa

Nice progress on your Baby Bug!

Cheers,

Andre

Looks like shes seen some action. I have a book of images from Hornets deployed in OIF. Yours looks very similar. Congrats to you ...

Cheers Bevo, did have some references of the exact aircraft - I think in reality it was even muckier than I captured here but didnt want to risk going OTT

Love the "Dirty bird" look, just like your typical Navy plane after a 6 Month cruise! Hoping to get the look you've achieved on yours! Very very well done! I wouldn't change a thing! :)

well if I can do it anyone can ;-)..... the biggest thing I learnt, you can always add but it is very difficult to take away.....

Personally, I'd avoid these as all have shape issues to a certain extent. I would recommend:

F-14: Hasegawa new tool, Fujimi

F-15, if you're so inclined: Hasegawa new tool

F-16: RoG, Hasegawa

Nice progress on your Baby Bug!

Cheers,

Andre

cheers Andre - will keep an eye out for those options.....

well its all done, dused and, to be honest, my best yet (I do seem to be making improvements.......)

will post better photos in a finished build thread later on (need to get camera, flash, tripod etc setup but that will be done today)...

_MG_0066.jpg

_MG_0067.jpg

_MG_0068.jpg

_MG_0070.jpg

_MG_0071.jpg

That's one dirty Hornet! Looks great and looks like no silvering on the decals. That's what I've been looking for in models lately. You can really see if someone cared by how the decals come out. Yours look great. Looking forward to your next effort

That's one dirty Hornet! Looks great and looks like no silvering on the decals. That's what I've been looking for in models lately. You can really see if someone cared by how the decals come out. Yours look great. Looking forward to your next effort

thanks for that - the decals are twobobs, made for the hasegawa kit but that only really affects the orange fin flashes (a little small for the Academy version, but not too bad).....