I do whole heartly agree with you that the IPMS defines the OOB category very well.....and they seem to have put much thought into the defination and picked probably the best criteria for what defines OOB.

Cmdr. Adama: Starbuck I need serious out of the box thinking.

Starbuck: Out of the box is where I live.

Now what if a manufacturer decides to put a model kit inside an oval shaped container, would it be considered out of the box? What if your kit came in a bag?

Edited by gonzalo

IIRC, the IPMS Out Of Box rules are a bit of nonsense anyway, as you're allowed to replaced the kit decals. To my mind, that's not OOB, because if you can replace the decals, why not the canopy, or the armament, or the....

Vince

Its a bit of an odd one this, having thought it through.

as you're allowed to replaced the kit decals

Well, that makes sense, if its an old kit with unusable (damaged, missing, broken) decals then it makes sense to allow replacement. The same applies to classic car "concours" competitions, remanufactured parts are acceptable where originals are no longer available and/or beyond restoration.

My first inclination is that OOB should mean just that, you can't have an "except" because then it isn't.

Thats a bit like saying "I've never stolen anything, except a new car, a few bits of jewellery and a tv"

But then I thought about it some more.

If OOB is strictly as is comes, then does that apply to badly fitting parts which are reshaped or modified to fit?

Does it apply to inaccuracies? "I sanded off the incorrect panel lines and rescribed them in the right place"

Paint callouts? "Colour callouts suggest RLM79 but this is incorrect for a late war K-model" etc?

So, my feeling is that OOB for me is using the kit contents, but allowing modification of the same where necessary for fit, but modifications for accuracy et al take it away from an OOB build.

Every model (apart from scratch build) no matter how much resin, etch and whatnot is used started out in the original box, so the name is a little misrepresentative.

How about "As designed" as an alternative? If a model uses only the parts in the instruction booklet, then it is made as the designer intended. If anything else is done, then it isn't. Simple.

Matt

Edited by MattC

Cmdr. Adama: Starbuck I need serious out of the box thinking.

Starbuck: Out of the box is where I live.

Now here's something way of topic, and yet strangely ... so on topic in this topic...

I'm not a native English speaker. But this expression has me baffled, or rather, I'd like to know what's correct.

'Out of the box thinking' or 'Thinking outside the box'.

I never use the former, as I link that to things like Ikea, and other flatpack places where you build with what you've got, and according to the instructions. Not at all what the expression means, as far as I know. 'Thinking outside the box', or outside the boundaries if you want, seems to be the only correct expression as far as I can see, yet both expressions get used all the time, as a simple Google search will reveal.

Does anybody know what the deal is with this?

Sorry for this off topic post, but I hope you can see why the urge to post this here got the better of me.

"Thinking outside the box" stemmed from those questionnaires, beloved of the "organisers" of our lives, where (they think) every possible response has its individual little box, into which you're supposed to put a little tick or cross. If your answer doesn't correspond to one of their choices, you're "thinking outside the box," which makes you a rebel, and a danger to society.

I'm a bit nonplussed with all of this never-ending debate over competition rules; cricket, football, baseball, etc., all have rules, so do you argue against them all the time, or just get on with the game, and make the best of it. If you don't like the rules, don't enter; if you don't understand them, ask.

Edgar