The Seawolves flew the UH-1B/C/L/M and HH-1K. The best basis for these variants in 1/48th at the moment is still the venerable Monogram kit - see here.

HTH,

Andre

The Seawolves flew the UH-1B/C/L/M and HH-1K. The best basis for these variants in 1/48th at the moment is still the venerable Monogram kit - see here.

HTH,

Andre

The majority of HA(L)-3 birds were ex-US Army UH-1B's. If you have any idea what Detachment your friend flew in and when, you could probably narrow it down to a few possibilities as most detachment only have a few aircraft at one time. The UH-1L's and HH-1K's came late in the game and the HH-1K's at least were only flown by the Sealords. HA(L)-3 never flew Mike models (UH-1C with uprated T-53 L13 engines) and very few Charlie models. As stated above, you best starting point is the Huey Hog kit in 48th, but it needs a LOT of work to be accurate for either a B or a C. The most accurate OOB UH-1B is the 1/72 Italeri kit. If you can stand the small scale, it is a much easier build than the Monogram Hog. Also, you may already know but HA(L)-3 birds flew with all kinds of weapon configurations from 50's and miniguns mounted in the door to twin 30 cals. As far as decals, you are money as long as you get the Fireball set. It has appropriate decals to build ANY Seawolf from any time period and any detachment. Go HERE] for photos and info on Seawolf birds. Good luck and let us know if you need more info.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

OK you guys have alot of HAL info, I am in the planning stage of a HAL5 build, decal and the basic kit are already set, I need to find the corect armorment in 1./35 like HAL3 5 used both quad 60's and Miniguns, I am using the academy Hog Kit so I will need to find the corect loadout

like this

21963_484289360532_615900532_11250386_1417671_n.jpg

I'm surprised the Army gave up any of it's Mike models, but I suppose by 71 the Cobra had superseded most of them.

The 'M's were mostly associated with the early triple TOW launchers, right..?

Cheers,

Andre

The 'M's were mostly associated with the early triple TOW launchers, right..?

Cheers,

Andre

Andre,

Not at all. The XM-26 system was sent to Vietnam with 2 UH-1B's 62-12553 and 62-12554 and they destroyed numerous tanks during the Easter Offensive in 72. However, one of the original test birds for the XM-26 project was a NUH-1M but it never saw combat. There is some misinformation floating around that "UH-1M" was the designation for Hueys outfitted with the INFANT (Iroquois Night Fighter and Night Tracker) system. It is just a coincidence, however, that all the INFANT birds were also UH-1Ms. HTH

Ray

My friend Ollie Gross was in DET 4. Most of the info at Seawolf Association is after his KIA in 1969.I know he always said his favorite weapon was the M-60 hung by bungee cords.

shoot me a PM and I'll see what i can do about getting you the info you need to do your friend's bird. Wayne Mutza just sent me THIS link. it should provide some serious inspiration. Since your friend was in country in 69, his bird was almost certainly a UH-1B, by the way.

Ray

Andre,

Not at all. The XM-26 system was sent to Vietnam with 2 UH-1B's 62-12553 and 62-12554 and they destroyed numerous tanks during the Easter Offensive in 72. However, one of the original test birds for the XM-26 project was a NUH-1M but it never saw combat. There is some misinformation floating around that "UH-1M" was the designation for Hueys outfitted with the INFANT (Iroquois Night Fighter and Night Tracker) system. It is just a coincidence, however, that all the INFANT birds were also UH-1Ms. HTH

Thanks for the clarification, Ray!

Cheers,

Andre

To add to what the others have said, if you want to go the 1/35 route (my preferred scale), the Academy UH-1C can be backdated to a B model using the Cobra Company UH-1B Backdate set.

There is also a pretty good 1/35 UH-1B from Seminar (sometimes SAR) Models out of Korea. It is a little less refined than the Academy C model, but a very close second.

1665-1.jpg

I highly recommend either of the above, along with the Fireball Modelworks decals. Good luck and post some pics once you get started.

Edited by HeavyArty

To add to what the others have said, if you want to go the 1/35 route (my preferred scale), the Academy UH-1C can be backdated to a B model using the Cobra Company UH-1B Backdate set.

There is also a pretty good 1/35 UH-1B from Seminar (sometimes SAR) Models out of Korea. It is a little less refined than the Academy C model, but a very close second.

1665-1.jpg

I highly recommend either of the above, along with the Fireball Modelworks decals. Good luck and post some pics once you get started.

thanks, I have the academy C model I will convert it to a HA(L)5 HH-1K as seen in the photo above, I may have to find that B model for the M-21 system on it.

Gino,

actually, he says it's a HH-1K. The HH-1K is basically the rescue version of the UH-1L, but in reality HH-1K, UH-1E, UH-1L and TH-1L's are indistinguishable in most cases except by the tail number and several HH-1K flew as gunships. Any Marine short bodied Hueys will be UH-1E's, however as they only flew the Echo. The Navy inherited the Marines Echos and thus Navy short bodied Hueys can be a bit of a tossup depending upon the time period.

Ray