1/48 HH-60H Rescue Hawk

Ok guys I have the bench up and ready to go minus the paint booth issue which I should have a solution to the issue.

I am going to take the Skunkmodels HH-60H and add me some resin, photoetch, an some very little scratchbuilding to her to make her as accurate Rescue Hawk.

Skunkmodels HH-60H

Authentic Decals SH/HH-60 Decals (line birds)

Armycast M&M UH/SH/HH-60 engine set

Cobra Company HH-60H conversion kit

Cobra Company MH-60L conversion ( using the ammo cans, M-134G Minguns, an the shell tubing)

Eduard Big Ed set

Then she will sit on a 3Wire Helo pad, with whatever squadron I want with Verlinden NAS Flightline set.

I have the "Close-Up No.1" book on the SH-60B, SH-60F, an HH-60H. Grant it this book really lacks the nessarcary (spelling) photos for the build but it has some that I can not find on the net, but most of my help will come from the photos off the net that I can find. Any help will be more than gladly appericated in this build process.</p><p>IMAG0245.jpg</p

><p>IMAG0250.jpg</p><p>IMAG0249.jpg</p><p>IMAG0248.jpg</p><p>IMAG0247.jpg

I will post some pics of the build tonight before the final season of "Rescue Me" starts in 20 minutes. If not tonight then tomorrow. This is a great way to break in the new model room, with a new build.

Thanks

Stanton

Edited by HS-4Grandson

The only thing that Shunkmodels added too the kit was photoetech parts an a landing pad for a display. Plus the cabin windows look little wide on the frames compared too what I have seen on the real aircraft in pictures an in person. Well guys I know I said I would post some pics of some work but "Rescue Me' kinda got in the way. Firehouse tomorrow so I will post an update Friday before the weekend work begins at house an firehouse.

Thanks

Stanton

The only thing that Shunkmodels added too the kit was photoetech parts an a landing pad for a display. Plus the cabin windows look little wide on the frames compared too what I have seen on the real aircraft in pictures an in person. Well guys I know I said I would post some pics of some work but "Rescue Me' kinda got in the way. Firehouse tomorrow so I will post an update Friday before the weekend work begins at house an firehouse.

Thanks

Stanton

Nice project,

i started almost the same project using the CC kit, Big ed, and skunkmodels kit,

a few thing to remember on the Skunk kit, it is based on a UH-60 and SH-60.

1. you have to putty over the cooling fans (lil round guys) located above both main mounts

2. the APU exhaust (round dent located behind port exhaust) should be moved forward and slightly up for the Navy HH

3. both electrical access panels (located behind pilot doors) are in the wrong location must be moved up and to the rear (missed that on my first HH build)

4. Cabin is for the UH-60 it must be shortened as per refs.

Only the Naval Reserves 16 HH-60Hs were wired for Miniguns GAU-17 in Navy speak. they were my old outfit the Firehawks of HCS-5 1988-2006, the "new" Firehawks of HSC-85 2011 and beyond (85 went from H-3s to MH-60Ss to HH-60Hs). Redwolves of HCS-4 1988-2006 and as HSC-84 2006-present.

in 2002 HCS-5 transfered two HH-60s to the Regular Navy one went to HS-6 the other I think went to HS-10. however they did not have the Gau-17s or mission kits to use them on thier birds. if you plan on building a bird with hellfire missiles remember that you can not mount a minigun on the port side with the extended pylon in place.

I was an Ordnanceman with HCS-5 for 5 years and deployed to Baghdad with 5 and to Balad Iraq with both HCS-4 and 5. feel free to ask any questions. here are a couple walk arounds of HCS aircraft.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v477/medicmanscott/HH-60H/

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/hh-60h_163797/

Good luck and thanks for posting,

Jose

Edited by helsupspecron-5

Jose,

Thanks for the info buddy, oh trust me I will be picking at your brain on this build. Dully noted on the if having extended pylon you can't have the M-134. I do not think ill have the extended pylon for some reason the two mini-guns makes that helo look Wicked!!!!!

Thanks

Stanton

Well today was only a 12hr day at the firehouse so I was able to hit the bench when I got home from work. I was debating on whether to start the work interior or start some of the cutting an hacking of the plastic to replace with some quality resin from Cobra Company and Armycast M&M. Well I decide to do some cutting of the cabin windows, the HIRSS, and the open engine compartment.

Now the Armycast M&M is nice stuff, I cant pair it with the HIRSS cause for some reason when the set got packed together they somehow didnt make in the kit, but it is ok...spoke with Chris of Cobra Company an he said they will be enroute to me as of tomorrow...but I do for see them being a problem matching them up. It comes with the engine, an parts for the engine, also comes with a matching intake pair for the other side so they match. Now the "SH" exhaust are nicely casted so that all you had to do was cut out interior part of the, and it comes with photoetech screens for the top of the engine exhust. I would definiatly purchase them again.

Now onto the kit, it has alot of missed placed comparement hatches that not quite line up as what is on the kit. Especially if you use Eduard's Exterior set. Also the electronics hatch behind the pilots doors they are too far back so they need to be brought forward just a tad bit, that is coming from Jose "helsupspecron-5" that worked on these birds just recently. So the of course the kit has it flaws on it but with little bit of elbow grease and time she should turn out too be an excellent kit. Here is some pics of the items that come in the Armycast M&M set and the modifications I added to her as of now. Thanks for looking I greatly appericate the input.

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Fire away with any comments or corrections.

Thanks

Stanton

Edited by HS-4Grandson

Well between work and working on some household projects I was able to squeeze in some time on the bench. I decide to use the kit pylon and cut out the main portion of the pylon so that you can attach the I believe is the M-134G barrel. I guessed about how far back I would have to cut to show the cut out of the pylon. Also had to cut the landing gear house top so that I can get the rail for the cabin window in the right position based upon the reference photos I have been looking at. Also I filled in the fans down by the gear and I filled in the APU exhaust which needs to be little more close to the HIRSS. Also I added some more photoetch, an added the HIRSS to one side and other side I have it glued too the open engine piece from Armycast M&M. Well here is some photos enjoy guys.

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Thanks

Stanton

Santon,

that hoop you are refering to is for the brass/link ejection chute. it also serves as a conection point for the "dogbone", an adjustable rod the hold the weapon mount in position. the chute would be fastened to the M134s feeder/delinker and put through the Hoop. HCS/HSC-84 started using Dillon Areo feeder/delinkers that has a different diameter chute. with the dogbone removed the gun and gun mount can be stored inside the aircraft.

DSCN1044.jpg

heres the port minigun on my model its hard to see the "dogbone" but it goes from the post behind the hose and gun mount

28094_1429807309524_1363105917_1168761_5695584_n.jpg

here is a pic of the dogbone right above that hard working AO

n1363105917_385506_1935477.jpg

heres a pic of the brass/link chute you gan see the hoop near the bottom of the pic

in the prime portal walk around the M134s have the new dillon delinkers with the dillon brass/link chute

IYAOYAS, Jose

@ Jose

Thank you very much for the clarrification on the "dogbone" & brass/link chute I am going to scratch build that when I get closer too end of this build so that it doesnt get broken during the build process.

Looks tonight will I call it a night an start looking more pictures on how to do the interior of the main cabin with the two ammo cans, whatever how many seats are in the main cabin area, what I mean but that is what is the standard configuration of "60H" with the two M-134G onboard. Is it two in the back with other items in the cabin area, or is there three seats along the back wall. Plus I am trying to find some good pics of the "fast rope" that slides in an out of the main cabin door. Well off to relax and watch some tv hopefully tomorrow I can hit the bench an do some more work on her. Thanks again Jose.

Stanton

Edited by HS-4Grandson

Well guys I did some work on the inside of the main cabin ceiling. Grant it this is my first real attempt at scratchbuilding at all, an yeah I know it looks littel sloppy but hey its a start. I tried to repulicate the FAST Rope gear that is mounted too the ceiling of the helo. Also I went ahead an added the Eduard floor and the Cobra Company center console. Then I went ahead an added the overhead console with I believe an HVAC vent system that sits right above the pilots head. Well here is some pic of the work I did.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stanton

Edited by HS-4Grandson

David,

Did you order the Cobra Company stuff and the kit or just the kit.....sad to say....If you want to make it like most of the "60H's" that are out doing "NSW" or providing some for gunship cover with the longer pylon that does not have the Hellfire hardpoint it is easier to cut the kit part an scratch build the little bit of detail in the pylon. Plus the Eduard stuff makes a major difference with all the raised panels that are on the port side of the "60H". Good Luck I build one a long time ago with this conversion an I have taken various notes when I built the first one.

Stanton

ok guys last update tonight. I worked on some more photoetch and I also decided to add the steps that the crew pull out when they are doing preflight. Also I decided to add the smaller pylon on the starborad side of the aircraft, an last but not forgotten was I got the bigger gas bag mostly assemble and I say that why is I still have a few photo parts to add, and I need too drill out the hole for the fill port on the gas bag. Hope you guys enjoy.

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0286.jpgks

Thanks

Stanton

Edited by HS-4Grandson

Ok here is list of things I was able too do today due the "Heat Wave" in Culpeper VA.

1. All the seats are made up

2. Had to modify the IP due to the glare shield little long

3. Worked on 1 of the M-134G Mini-Guns, I need to go get me some plastic styrene for muzzle cover on the guns, since that is the only thing they lack I see, but I think it is missing something else

4. Ammo drums installed on their plate with little bit of scratch work done

5. Made up the "Rack"

6 Install the back wall.....needs to be pushed back just a tad bit

7. Dry fitted everything to see how bad it maybe...to be honest I do not think it will have much of an issue.

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

Stanton

OK Guys, No update today spent sometime with the wife in Baltimore, plus meeting up with a fellow Z5er Galileo1 "Rob" for a trade...Excellent Trader fellows... I am going to set her aside for a few days before I take her to the paint barn which I have a temp paint barn set up, I figure I do a test fire of the new paint barn with a "Fix Wing" instead of my Helo. Sorry guys but gotta get my "fix wing" fix in before I get caught in my rotoary builds.<br><br><br><br><br>@ John... Thank you very much...these birds are soo neat in person I seen two of them land an take off out in Lexington KY when I worked for Delta Airlines....but stay tune till later in the week for an update on the "Rescue Hawk" so have something by Thursday night.<br><br><br><br><br>Thanks<br><br>Stanton<br>

• 9 months later...

Stanton, what ever happened to this build? I just now found it and I am curious how you are making out since I just started the exact same project. I have built the cockpit up (Eduard and CC also) and now I am working on the fuselages, and getting ready to put in the Armycast engine, like I said exactly the same as you! Good luck and please post some new pics, Everett

• 3 months later...

Thanks it has been a work in progress for the last year or so....I am hoping to have it finish before the Maryland show in November. I am geting real close for the Hawk to be in the paint barn for its initial painting. So standby for update photos in a day or so.

Thanks

Stanton

Thanks it has been a work in progress for the last year or so....I am hoping to have it finish before the Maryland show in November. I am geting real close for the Hawk to be in the paint barn for its initial painting. So standby for update photos in a day or so.

Thanks

Stanton

Hi Stanton, great job on the Hotel. I'm also a retired vet who flew with HCS-5. I'm a plank owner when the Firehawks first stood up back in 1989. My question is are you doing an early variant or the much more capable later variant. And have you decided which Squadron your going to represent?

Here are a few shots I took when we returned from Desert Storm, April 1991.

Image of the tail fold.

hcs5301d.jpg

Rotor head from AC/301 during a phase "D", as directed by COMHELWINGRES. For inspection

shortly after our return.

hcs5301e.jpg

Strike a pose

chile_landed2_pano.jpg

AC/301 as it goes through it's maintenance "D" phase cycle.

hcs5maint1.jpg

Normally we don't have a personal mount in a Helo squadron, it is just fun to able to fly but A/C303 was one I flew in more than the other AC in the squadron, my main squeeze name stenciled on the side. Notice the static ports right ahead of the avionics panel. I have to see if these are on the Skunk Models kit.

HH60H303me2.jpg

I have this kit as well as Cobra's update set for the HH-60H. Which was bought for the Italeri SH-60B I was going to convert. But I will build mine as it appeared during Desert Storm in 1991, so I will do any early variant respresenting HCS-5. So I will be watching this WIP with extreme interest. I am taking notes.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Chuck,

Thanks for the photos....Squadron I would love to do either HCS-4/5(84/85) but there is only 72nd markings for the HH-60H bird....So I guess I will do HS-4 line bird with M-134's GAU-16's on it, but with engine open, tail steps out, and all the cabin doors open, I have a some distance photos of HCS-84/85 from a few yrs ago when they where in LEX but one of the aviators was being a prick when asked if I could take a few close photos of thier birds....one of the junior officers said "I dont care but he is grumpy old man"I really haven't worked much on it. When you start yours really make sure the HIRRS on the Italeria kit are decent cause the CC's ones are great in detail but they aren't really square whne you cut them off the casting blocks.

Stanton

Here is alittle bit of an update....have most if not 99% ready for the paint barn. I have some items I will probably have to scratch so that it is a current HH-60H minus the two head lights that I seemed to for get to install.

5B67B7F6-CEDE-4DED-915D-77C67F3AB7E9-3952-0000030E7CEE5991.jpg

21F463EA-46AB-489B-89DD-748EF5904A84-3952-0000030E7820F2C2.jpg

E5E8BDD2-772F-4339-AE53-3FCFE4F3C784-3952-0000030E6E6AA8AD.jpg

67FF9F36-5884-489A-AF93-D6E0F6989087-3952-0000030E69898E69.jpg

C9CF9C29-5523-4AF4-A86B-1A349BF89D7B-3952-0000030E730A71A8.jpg

Hopefully on Friday I can have her in the paint barn.

Stanton