Hyperscale Discussion Forums are Tango Uniform Again

Lots of people still like and use Hyperscale. It has it's place. Not every site has to use the same format. I use dozens of Vbulletin style boards and love them. I'm also a member at two HS type boards, and like them too.

And speaking of which, it's not the Hyperscale community that's down - it's all of Notwork54.

hth

Lots of people still like and use Hyperscale. It has it's place. Not every site has to use the same format. I use dozens of Vbulletin style boards and love them. I'm also a member at two HS type boards, and like them too. And speaking of which, it's not the Hyperscale community that's down - it's all of Notwork54. hth

+1. It's not about the format-it's about the participants.

Ken

edit: this format has it's issues too...

Edited by WymanV

The HS style discussion boards are a vast minority compared to the newer style used here and at LSP, etc. The antiquated "push responses to the right" makes it nearly impossible to follow a lengthy discussion and hot topics get pushed to the back regardless. HS has some great content but the format just blows.

+1. It's not about the format-it's about the participants.

The problem is that by having a very user un-friendly format, a lot of potential participants are put off from ever signing up. OK, so the current format is popular with the old fuddy-duddies there, but you're never going to attract new users who will be expecting to see a forum layout similar to what they find elsewhere on the internet. It's 2011, not 2001.

Vince

Oddly enough, I see most of the "old fuddy-duddies there" posting at the more modern style boards all the time, such as here, Modeling Madness, Zone Five, Large Scale Planes, IPMS, Starship Modeler, etc etc. Those scared and sad old men seem to be quite adept at adapting to each site owner's choice of board software. People like HS with the linear board style, and there is a lot of tradition associated with it, but I think it's unfair to call out the board members when it's the board owner's choice. If Brett went with a modern board style, people would still come, people would still be intimidated about signing up, and people would still start new Mustang threads every five minutes.

Maybe the members can adapt to different styles of board, but Brett is going to find it increasingly difficult to attract new members without changing the layout. Put simply, in the near future people won't want to sign up to an ancient forum and HS will suffer for it. Even this style of board will probably be obsolete in 3-4 year's time.

There's a lot of tradition associated with the horse & cart too, but there's a reason why we all drive cars.

Vince