Hey all, I've never been to a Nationals and see that next year's is at Disney in Orlando. That might be the ONLY way I could get my wife to agree to a trip for a Nats so my question is, typically at what point do these contests start taking reservations and such? I know it's probably way too early to start thinking about that but I don't want to miss out on the great deal on the hotel. I guess now I'll have to re-join IPMS. Can't wait, it should be fun.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey all, I've never been to a Nationals and see that next year's is at Disney in Orlando. That might be the ONLY way I could get my wife to agree to a trip for a Nats so my question is, typically at what point do these contests start taking reservations and such? I know it's probably way too early to start thinking about that but I don't want to miss out on the great deal on the hotel. I guess now I'll have to re-join IPMS. Can't wait, it should be fun.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I am the Convention Chairman for the 2012 Convention. As soon as the 2011 Convention in Omaha is over we will be releasing the website which has all the reservation information. If you have an interest and are flying in I would strongly suggest that you book asap.

We are looking forward to next year and hope see you and everyone else there.

Thanks,

Mike

For some perspective, on Friday it's going to be 104 degrees in New Jersey, 94 degrees in Orlando.

No worries. I'm sure the convention site has air conditioning. With all those great models to gawk at there's no reason to go outside in any weather!

For some perspective, on Friday it's going to be 104 degrees in New Jersey, 94 degrees in Orlando.

No worries. I'm sure the convention site has air conditioning. With all those great models to gawk at there's no reason to go outside in any weather!

To All,

As goodsgt said the facility is airconditioned. In fact, if staying in the convention hotel you do not even have to go outside. The only time you really would have to go outside would be arriving and departing. Unless you were to partake on one of the two tours we are doing. Fantasy of Flight and Kennedy Space Center.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm going, but seriously...Florida in August? No worse than PHOENIX last year. That was just horrible. And yeah, the convention center will be air conditioned, but Disneyland sure as hell isn't and that where the families will be flocking. Is it just me, or does a spring or fall date for Nats seem more reasonable, or at least holding it somewhere that the temp isn't usually over 100 in the summer?

Not sure, but I think the IPMS bylaws specify a convention in July or August. The problem with a spring or autumn Nats is that most people have kids in school and such during those times, and can't get away. I have a feeling 2012 is gonna be one of the best attended Nats in years, simply because of the venue. Usually it's a case of the modeler trying to drag the family along, or convincing them to let him (or her) go solo.

For now, I'm looking forward to Omaha By The Sea...less than two weeks to go!

SN