Arctic / Antarctic GB?

I'm still trying to figure out what I can do for this GB... my only personal requirement is that it be Canadian military... /maybe/ CCG.

So, I'll be in, the when just depends on when I can find some appropriate subject!

I'm still trying to figure out what I can do for this GB... my only personal requirement is that it be Canadian military... /maybe/ CCG.

So, I'll be in, the when just depends on when I can find some appropriate subject!

F-18 train in cold lake ... thats pretty much arctic to me !!

Hey i just notice something while typing

this is the ARCtic GB lol takl about the right name

Edited by Neo

Sure feel free to make or modify your own banners. I tried to provide a somewhat rounded selection but obviously can't cover every possibility.

For Canada the 60 degree line runs very close to the line dividing the northern territories from the rest of the nation. The CH-113 should be fine, it sounds like that would be similar to the USCG in Kodiak, AK. It is based below the line but covers an area that takes it above on a regular basis.

I'm thinking this is going to be true for many potential subjects, Canada and Russia both provide air defense for their nations well into the arctic circle. All that would be required is to show the base is one of those tasked with this mission.

I'm basically going to be going on the honor system here. I expect everyone to do some research to verify that the aircraft qualifies but am not requiring large amounts of documentation.

I don't know what the Soviet counterpart is but aircraft like the Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter and Norseman are closely tied to the Arctic and have been used in Antarctica as well. It shouldn't be too hard to find them in use. I am also inclined to allow fictional "bush" planes as long as it is hit you over the head obvious the operator is based in the region (North Pole Express, Yellow Knife Air Services etc).

and NEO I did notice that, and almost included it in one of the banners (Arctic / Antacrtic Gb at ARC) but wasn't sure the pun would be appreciated by others. :wierdo:

Edited by Aaronw

Well, I have my hands full with my KC-135R, but I get the feeling I'm going to need a break from that sooner or later, so count me in with an old Monogram F-15A with markings from Keflavik.

:cheers:

Justin

Hello guys !!

Does anybody know, if there were or still are BO-105 of the Canadian Coast Guard in use in this area ??

If the answer is positive, i will build a BO-105 in 1:32 in the markings of the Canadian Coast Guard.

Greetings

Michael

I think the BO-105 would be ok. It looks like they are used on Ice breakers and the photo at Wikipedia shows one on the deck of the CCGS Louis S. St Laurent which is one of the few surface ships to have been to the North Pole.

I'm not sure wether I'm suppose to start a new topic or just add a reply but in any case , I've made a start on my HH-3E

HH-3Epic1-1.jpg

As I posted in the Helicopter section , I will be using the Wolfpak decal sheet 72-024 "Alaskan Air Command"

The HH-3E is finished in overall ADC Grey with orange nose section and tail boom band .

I started by cutting the cabin door from the fuselage starboard side ;

HH-3Epic2-1.jpg

I added some 2mm square plastic strip to the door opening to account for the saw cut and filing ;

Next I cut an old plastic CD case to use for the rear cabin floor ;

HH-3Epic3-1.jpg

I scrounged around the spares box and found an old HH-60H cockpit instrument panel as well as a couple of cyclic sticks to use .

I have some troop seats from some UH-1D Hueys I think I will use for the cabin , once I sort the seats out I'll airbrush the fuselaage interior and cockpit pieces and get every thing glued in place and then get ready to close up yhe fuselage halves . I'm not going to get bogged down with too much interior scratch building , I'm aiming to have this bird done by New Years .

That's all for today , thank's for looking .

John .

John, for now you can just post in here. Once we get our own place down in the GB section everybody starts their own post under the umbrella forum of the GB.

Phantom, thanks, I was going to PM him but then decided to wait until Monday thinking there wouldn't be too much of a hangup with most people being busy with the holidays anyway.

Edited by Aaronw

Hi Guys,

I've started my JAS-39 Gripen.

263mspaningskapsel.jpg

This is the one I'm going to do. (But mine will also have Amraams)

201112241960.jpg

This is the kit I'll be using.

Best Choice edition of Italeri plastic, CMK resin and Eduard PE.

I've also added Maestro resin wingtanks and recon pod, and an Isracast Lightning III pod.

I've started to clean some resin parts and I'm at the moment cutting away the kit wheelbays.

I'll be posting a full WIP-thread once the GB-section has been updated.

Take Care and Merry Christmas to all.

/Bosse

I'm in. I'll be doing a J8 Gladiator of F.19, the Swedish Volunteer Force which participated in the Winter War providing Air Defence to northern Finland. Markings will be the skull & crossbones markings they overpainted their Finnish markings with immediately prior to withdrawal at the end of the war.

The kit is the Roden Gladiator II w/Skiis in 1/48.

Edited by mawz

I've made a little more progress ;

HH-3Epic4-1.jpg

I tried making some troop seat backs from Tamiya masking tape attached to some evergreen plastic strip and I found some seat bases from the UH-1 Huey spares box

Next I glued the rotor blades to the hub and painted them along with the tail rotors as well as some green tint on the cockpit canopy . I found some pilots which I'll give a fresh coat of paint and I just glued the windows in place on the fuselage halves .

HH-3Epic5-1.jpg

So I'm almost ready to glue the interior bits in place ; The sponsons are glued and clamped along with the external fuel tanks , everything is moving along nicely .

Thank's for looking ;

John .

Glad to see some progress, I'm hoping to get started today or tommorrow.

Raymond, the SU-15 looks like it qualifies to me, welcome aboard.

I was wondering if we were going to see anything from the Winter War, a Gladiator on skis will be interesting.

The Gripen is not something I've seen built before.

The HH-3 is coming along well, we really need a new tool HH-3 kit but you are doing a nice job with the ancient Lindberg kit.

Stll haven't heard from Steve about getting set up down below, but it will hapen, thanks for being patient.

I have the interior bits all glued in place and the fuselage halves are ready to be glued together ;

HH-3Epic6-1.jpg

I agree with you Aaron about hoping someone would do a new tooled CH/HH-3 ; Perhaps someone like Hobbyboss ???

I mentioned over in the Helicopter-Arctic/Antarctic forum page about a second build with Zvezda Mil Mi-8 and those Bergmont "Polar Airlines" decals , I found another possible build in my stash which might suit one of the GB Banners you made ;

The Zvezda Ka-27PC ...

003-19.jpg

The kit instructions are in russian , so I don't know exactly what region the Ka-27PC is operating from , apart from having a polar bear on the external fuel tank , I assume it's somewhere near the Arctic ?

John .