Arctic / Antarctic GB?

• 2 months later...

Just a bump as it looks like this will be a go, just waiting for final confirmation on the dates from Steve. :yahoo:

Also adding that non-aircraft and fictional works will be allowed, so if you just saw The Thing and want to build something from it, or have a bust of Ernest Shackleton you are welcome to join in.

So I work on the NWS now (used to be known as the DEW Line), does that give me extra points??

I got the Draw Decals UH-1N and might use those on one of my twin hueys (Which is coincidentally what I fly up here).

I will be up in the great white north on the start, currently siting in Inuvik, NWT, so that should do double duty no?

Cheers

H.

Sure, I'll let you enter a second build at no extra cost. :woot.gif:

I'd like to see the twin huey. Among my possible projects are some helicopters used during the construction of the DEW lin, so it would be neat to see what is doing their job now.

I work for a civilian company that has the Maintenance contract, basically we fly the personnel out to the sites and wait around, sometimes we go and stay at long range sites for extended periods. If you google NWS you'll find lots of neat info! I just came back from 2 weeks at Cape Parry, which is one of the stations.

The model I want to do is a USN UH-1N that was in Antarctica, pretty neat, all orange.

Have an H-21 that could also be built in one of the colorschemes, but that is a project for later I think!

Cheers

H.

I've got an H-21 in the stash too, did they operate up there in the red and blue? (I know the H-34s were like that building the... one Line or other, but dunno about the H-21s?)

THe H-21 did indeed serve in the red white and blue. However the national markings where removed with MID CANADA LINE in place of ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE and the civilain code in place of the roundel.

There are photos on the official Royal Canadian Air Force site in the historiacl aircraft section of the standard markings.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/resrc/images/hst/l-g/banana2.jpg

I saw photos somewhere else but can't remember what site.

Edited by phantom

I've got some pics of the standard scheme, just wondering if that'd be appropriate for the GB... I'm only planning on one H-21 and that'll be either one of the early nmf schemes or the red-white-blue.

For this GB not even necessarily that I'll do an H-21, still trying to get a thought as to what Canadian subject I'll do.

Belcher Bits has an H-21 sheet that includes a red, white and blue H-21 used to support the Mid-Canada line.

Technically the Mid Canada line is just short of the 60 degrees north requirement of the GB (55 degrees +/-). I did find a reference to support flights to and from Knob Creek which sits at at 60 degrees. I assume this was not the only example of flights headed north, so I'd say aircraft used on the mid Canada line are ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple of subjects from Wolfpak Decals' 72-024 Alaskan Air Command I have been wanting to do. Clik here, you may need to scroll down to see the sheet. I'll pick one of them for the build, most likely the Deuce, since I've got one in the stash. Hi-viz rules!

Edited by bdt13

22 december :yahoo:

That's less than a month away.

I'm in with a JAS-39 Gripen from F21 wing based at Luleå in Sweden.

LuleÃ¥ is situated at 65° 35′ 4″ N, 22° 9′ 14″ E so it's within the GB parameters.

See you all in december

/Bosse

The GB is not limited to aircraft with high vis markings. I expect that many will, but if an aircraft based in the area has regular markings it is still ok.

Most of Finland is at or above 60 degrees north, so the natural finish is probably ok.

Edited by Aaronw

With most of Finland above 60 degrees I think you are pretty safe. With places like Norway, Finland and Alaska where the most of the land mass is above the 60 degrees north latitude I think it is safe to assume all aircraft spend a good chunk of their time above that line so I won't be making people show me.

A nation like Canada, Sweden or Russia where the bulk of the population is below 60 degrees north will need to be more specific showing the aircraft is based above (or very close to) that line or that it is specifically used in the region even if based elsewhere.

I found a handy map tool for locating 60 degrees north (in the south it is still basically just Antarctica which makes that easy) in relation to their proposed subjects.

Below the map there are boxes allowing you to enter a desired lat / long

A quick reference to longitude 0 degrees runs through the UK, 180 degrees runs to the east of the Bering straight (between Alaska and the USSR), 90 degrees east runs through the middle of the USSR, and 90 degrees west runs through the middle of the USA / Canada.

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

It uses +/- instead or NSEW, so you need to use a - sign in front of the numbers for degrees west or south.

The default is satellite so you may want to change to map (box in the upper right corner) to show boundry lines and other map features.

Edited by Aaronw

Just a quick listing to help people get ideas

Locations 60 degrees north and above

USA - Alaska

Canada - Yukon, North West Territories, Nunavut, tips of Quebec and Newfoundland.

Greenland

Iceland

UK - Shetland Islands

Norway

Finland

Sweden - North of Stockholm

Denmark - Faroe Islands

Russia - North of St Petersberg

Argentina / Chile - Cape Horn located at 55 degrees south may also provide some potential subjects. Somebody comes to the aid of ships in trouble passing through Drake Passage.

Edited by Aaronw
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a perfectly acceptable subject.

A group build is just a bunch of modelers building under a common theme. On or about Dec 22 there will be a new section opened in the group build section (towards the bottom of the forum).

In that area the various participants will be able to start a post to track their progress. This can be as simple as posting a few photos to show your work, but can be much more detailed with information of the real subject, impression of the kit, detailing issues you run across, asking for suggestions etc.

In addition to the individual build posts there will be areas to post your completed model, ask for help (parts, technical info like photos, techniques) etc.