The nose you made would be an "A-1" SLAR nose.

Larry

Thanks for the info Larry,

Were the noses actualy different, or was the SLAR loaded into the nose ie palletized? I have seen pictures of the OBC showing the exploded view of the nose and camera, and it looked to me like the camera could be swapped out with other devices depending on the required configuration o the aircraft.

Just wondering for scribing the panels underneath the nose. Does anyone have pics showing the undersides of the different types of noses??

Thanks all!

Who knows? I want to build "Ichi Ban", what nose form needed for this aircraft?

SR-71 noses were interchangable. "Ichi Ban" could gave flown with a number of different configurations.

Check here:

Four different types of nose were available containing either an Optical Bar Camera, a radar nose with either a Goodyear or Loral ground mapping radar, an Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar (ASARS I) or an empty nose for training or ferry flights.

HTH,

Andre

Well, let’s see if I can shed a little light on the 3 significant SR-71 nose configurations CAPRE/SLR, OBC and ASARS. I’ll cover each one separately. All of the noses could be configured with ballast for training flights which is what most of the CAPRE noses were used for later in the program. The ECM bulges came along in the mid-eighties on all the noses.

CAPRE (also known as SLR or SLAR) was used for most of the program and I believe it was replaced when ASARS came along in the early 80’s Most of the SR-71’s on display in museums have this nose attached with ballast installed. It’s easily identified by the lack of camera windows and multiple panel lines on the lower surface.

CAPRE_0.jpg

CAPRE_1.jpg

CAPRE_2.jpg

CAPRE_3.jpg

CAPRE_4.jpg

Next up, OBC nose....

The Optical Bar Cameras were used throughout the entire program. Early on, there were two different OBC systems but one was later phased out. The external configuration of the nose was the same for both. When ballast was installed, the camera windows were removed and covers put in place. At least 2 SR-71’s on display have OBC noses installed, #971 and #980.

OBC_0.jpg

OBC_1.jpg

OBC_2.jpg

OBC_3.jpg

OBC_4.jpg

OBC_5.jpg

And finally, ASARS.....

The ASARS system came along in the mid-eighties and that nose was a bit different. This nose has a smooth underside with no panel lines in the main section and only a strip of panels along the top. It’s also a bit fatter in the mid section as can be seen in the photos. I believe ASARS 1 and 2 used the same nose, but I’m not absolutely sure. I’ll double-check that. At least 1 SR-71 on display has an ASARS nose installed, #967.

ASARS_0.jpg

ASARS_1.jpg

ASARS_2.jpg

ASARS_3.jpg

ASARS_4.jpg

Hope that helps.

Tony

DSC00453.jpg

Nathan! Mate, bloody Oath! :yahoo: That nose's lookin' like a dream! One more reason to luv the Oz. :worship:

Say, Nathan; which one of the four plans previously posted on yer thread did ya base on in order to device this nose; the black outline on these or another one?

sr71nose-comparison-overlay.jpg

Good work, nimrod77! How about a resin copy nose SR-71?

Uh-huh... exactly. Me's had a dream, 'n' it was of Nathan castin' resin noses to sell it to all of the requestin' blokes on ARC. :lol:

Cheers, lad. Congratulations on such an extraordinary job! :thumbsup:

Unc²

X-Plane fan! Thank you very much mate!

That is an outstanding description and photos. Makes it alot clearer as to what I was seeing in photos. I noticed in one photo that the nose seemed to bulge at the mid section, and now I know why!

Don't suppose you have any top down shots of any of he noses with the ECM bumps on them do you?

Cheers !!

Glad the info and pics were useful. I just talked to a friend that worked Blackbirds and he tells me that the ECM antenna mods were done a bit earlier, late 70’s to early 80’s. The OBC nose was probably the one used most often, but it all depended upon the type of mission being flown. For later SR-71’s either the OBC or ASARS would be correct.

Some of the ballast noses never received the ECM mod, so you’ll occasionally see a photo of an SR without those.

NIMROD- The only SR’s flying after 1990 would be the NASA birds or the briefly reactivated USAF aircraft. NASA used noses with and without the bulges depending on the experiment. The AF had OBC and ASARS and also used the datalink antenna (known as ‘the wart’) in front of the nose gear.

Data_Link_1b.jpg

Another item to note on the 1/48 SR kit is that the chine bay camera windows are in the wrong place. They should be at the aft end of the chine bay, not the center and usually only the forward chine bays were used for the TEOC cameras since the OOC cameras that were originally used in the aft bays were phased out in the early to mid seventies.

TEOC_Camera_detail.JPG

Tony

Edited by X-Plane Fan

Ok, don't suppose you have any pictures of where the camera ports should be?

:lol: Me thinks later on we'll all find out that Tony was actually one of the elite Sled drivers! :whistle:

Tony, such a great amount of invaluable info, bloke! :thumbsup:Highly appreciate it. ---> :worship: <---

Thank ya very, very much, my mate. This thread's turned out to be quite interestin'

Nathan, which one of the plans ya posted have I got to use in order to replicate the correct outline of the chines on the 1/48th scale Testor/Italeri Sled kit, please? (SR-71A)

Cheers now,

Unc²

Nathan, which one of the plans ya posted have I got to use in order to replicate the correct outline of the chines on the 1/48th scale Testor/Italeri Sled kit, please? (SR-71A)

Cheers now,

Unc²

Soz Unc,

This one mate...

sr71noseskewed.jpg

This is the template I have made to cut out my noses. The grey triangles on the sides of the ribs are for the CAPRE's profile version.

Nose-profiles-cutouts-ASARS-and-CAPRE.jpg

The bottom most rib represents the kits profile. You can see the massive difference in profiles between the drawings and the kit shape. You could cut another rib and use it to reshape the front of the kit but I think that it would be a BIG job.

Like I said in the post before, it has been skewed to fit the kit shape.

I am waiting for the Milliput to dry on the CAPRE nose a go as we speak... Not sure how it's going to turn out but here's hoping!!

I will post pics once I have given it a good sanding.

I have asked a mate of mine about casting some copies of the first nose I did. I think that what I will do is cast it as is (without the RHAWS antennas) so that if you want them, you can carve them in.

If I can get to a point where I'm happy for others to use these (don't want to give anyone a pile of crap!), I'll get a quote.

Once I know about how much they will cost vs demand I will let you know how much each for one.

How many do you think you guys would want??

:woot.gif:Goodness, gracious, great amount of info! Terrific job ya're doin,' Nathan! :yahoo: Thank ya very much for yer help, bloke. I think yer nose is lookin' real awesome; sorta a quantum leap over the awful nose in the kit, sincerely.

You could cut another rib and use it to reshape the front of the kit but I think that it would be a BIG job.

:blink: Sorry, lad; I don't think I'm followin' ya there... :wacko: Would ya please elaborate on it as though I were a five-year-old toddler with learnin' issues? :bandhead2:

Like I said in the post before, it has been skewed to fit the kit shape.

Okay, I got that. :thumbsup: Easy said than done, but now that things are a lot clearer inside my skull with regard to which plans to use - in addition to the great amount of info available on this excellent thread - I think I'd try to fix the chines like they are on yer original (sr71nosetemplate) plans, to then adjust the noses to the correct width of chines 'n' also, to the 2mm height added to the cockpit area of the forward fuselage accordin' to this thread I linked previously, remember?

Regardin' the height of the fuselage in the cockpit area Scroll down to post #37.

IMG_36000.jpg

I have asked a mate of mine about casting some copies of the first nose I did. I think that what I will do is cast it as is (without the RHAWS antennas) so that if you want them, you can carve them in.

Sounds like a clever idea, my mate! :worship:

If I can get to a point where I'm happy for others to use these (don't want to give anyone a pile of crap!), I'll get a quote.

Once I know about how much they will cost vs demand I will let you know how much each for one.

Awlrighty then. Will gladly wait 'til ya're good 'n' ready, Nathan.

How many do you think you guys would want??

One of each ya make, methinks. ;)

Cheers now, chap

Unc²

Here's a couple of pics comparing the three noses that I have now.

Left to right, Kit nose, CAPRE Nose, ASARS nose.

DSC00488.jpg

From the front..

DSC00487.jpg

ASARS nose on the kit...

DSC00489.jpg

The difference in lenght of my noses vs the kits is because of the difference in the chines.

For your consideration anyway....

Not sure about the OBC nose, I have an idea on how to do it, just deciding if I should bother!! lol

Cheers!

Tony, or anyone else...

Has anyone got pics of the OBC camera installed in the nose of an SR-71, looking up through the windows?

I am interested as to what it looked like....

Anything like this?

Cheers,

Nathan

Nice picture of a Chicago Aerial KS-87 framing camera, with a 3" lens cone installed. I don't recognize the window on that plane, it doesn't look like an RF-4C?

The Itek 24" & 30" Optical Bar Cameras were QUITE a bit different. This page has some good photos & drawings: http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/sr_sensors_pg1.htm

Unfortunately, there are none looking up into the camera window, showing the lens. When I worked on the SR-71, it was still VERY classified. If I tried to get detailed pictures of the sensors, I would've been rewarded with a one-way ticket to Kansas, i.e. Ft Leavenworth. :unsure:

I would hope someone else may have the photos you are seeking.

Some more trivia: When we were launching an OBC mission, we had one of the OBC windows removed, and installed ducting to a heater, that blowed hot air into the camera bay. There was also power applied to the aircraft, and the OBC was in standby, with the lens constantly rotating. We did not remove the heater, and install the camera window until the aircrew was in the aircraft, and had started engines. That was so the camera bay could get its hot air from the engine's bleed air. Except for the crew chief, we were the last techs to touch the aircraft, before it taxied out.

Extra trivia: The camera windows were plated with 24K gold (as were some parts of the cameras). It was interesting, cleaning bugs off the windows, that had been baked on, at Mach 3! ;)

Larry

P.S. I would be interested in at least 2 each of your noses, if you can produce them.

Nice picture of a Chicago Aerial KS-87 framing camera, with a 3" lens cone installed. I don't recognize the window on that plane, it doesn't look like an RF-4C?

It's actually from an RF-111C.

RF-111C_belly_view_2008.jpg

The Itek 24" & 30" Optical Bar Cameras were QUITE a bit different.

So I see from the link you provided. I might have a go at emulating this in the OBC nose......