Zvezda's Yak-3 (1/72)

Hi,

I saw recently that Zvezda released a new Yak-3 kit. Do you have any informations about it ? (accuracy, comparison with other kits...)

Please, thank you in advance

JP

This new kit seems to be attracting a lot of interest - that's very good! To see sprue images, go here and scroll down about halfway, to a post by Sulla:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_33970_start_80.html

I have it on order from HobbyTerra; it was shipped a week ago, so I expect it will be delivered within the next few days, when I can post some comments. What I've read so far makes it sound like it will be the best Yak-3 available in 1/72 scale. Authentic and Begemot are already working on new decal sheets for this kit.

John

This is a "snap-on" kit but a good and accurate model can be built out of it. Because of its snap-on nature the part breakdown is somewhat even (not too critical), there is no imitation of aileron and rudder "sagging" but nothing that can't be filed with a file.

Overall - fantastic value for money, the best Yak in scale for sure.

This is built (snapped) by 9 y.o. boy:

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

No fabric sagging? Oh good. A more realistic approach is just to add thin strips (5 thou plasticard?) at the rib positions. The fabric will be taut, any weave filled and invisible in this scale.

The kit looks good, I like the cockpit and the wingroot intakes, but I leave it to others to confirm its accurcay.

Thank you for your answers.

Yesterday, I ordered 2 kits from Jadar Hobby. I suppose that I can trust Zvezda (I'm reforming my kit stash, I don't know if I'll keep the 1/48 kit from Eduard and the price of the russian kit is attractive : 1 from Hasegawa = 2-3 from Zvezda).

Something more to add ?

I received my Zvezda Yak-3 today; my initial response is that it's excellent! Even after looking hard at the sprue images posted on Scalemodels.ru, I was still surprised at the fineness of molding and the very delicate detail on the kit - I guess I was unconsciously expecting something rather crude, like the HobbyBoss Yak-3. Some further comments:

Overall outline accuracy: The drawings from the Skrzydla monograph "Jak-3" by Zbigniew Luranc, published in 1997, are the most accurate available; rumour has it that Luranc made these drawings based on measurements taken directly from one of the three remaining Yak-3's in existence. These drawings are available here; scroll down about halfway, to a post by BM (not the ones posted earlier on the same page by Thunderbolt):

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_12929_start_60.html

Comparing the main components (fuselage halves, wings, stabilizers) to these drawings, all of the parts match perfectly. I believe there was a comment elsewhere regarding the radiator housing - this seems to match the drawings in profile, but it might be a bit narrow in plan view, 1mm or less. Hardly a "fatal flaw"! All the small parts (landing gear, cockpit components, etc.) are remarkably fine and well detailed.

Rib/fabric detail: Zvezda chose not to attempt any representation of rib detail on the control surfaces. I have no problem with that - walkaround images of the remaining Yak-3's show the fabric on these surfaces to be very tight and relatively featureless, so such detail would hardly be visible in 1/72 scale. Those who feel the necessity can create this detail by filing/sanding or perhaps by adapting the control surfaces from another 1/72 Yak kit. Graham's suggestion elsewhere in this thread is a good one - see this image for an example of what the Yak-3 aileron looks like in real life:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=11685&cid=343&min=48&orderby=dateA&show=12

Sink marks: There are some sink marks due to contraction of the hot plastic after molding visible on the upper and lower surfaces of the wings, in the area where the wing thickness changes suddenly due to the way the insert which includes the wheel well openings is designed. These sink marks are very shallow; they are in a location where a coat or two of liquid filler can easily be applied and sanded down without endangering any detail.

Decals: Yes, the decals don't offer an overwhelming number of choices, and the two options that are offered have been done to death over the years, but at least they're well printed if you are content with the two options presented. These are a Normandie Niemen aircraft, Captain Marcel Albert's White 6, and a standard VVS aircraft, Lt Semen Rogovoy's White 15.

Overall, I think this kit is excellent, regardless of price. At $10 US, it's a real bargain. Despite the "snap-together" design, it's by no means a toy - Zvezda really have produced a kit which will appeal to both the beginner and the enthusiast. There's no question - this kit is, by far, the best Yak-3 available in 1/72 scale.

John

Yak-3 walkarounds:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_343.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?cid=162&orderby=date

Forum thread which includes photos of NN Yak-3's:

http://forums.airforce.ru/showthread.php?t=2629

Edited by John Thompson

Does anybody knows if the example in Zadorozhny is real one? I know that Yak-3 in Le Bourget and Yugoslavia are real examples, not sure about this one.

I would love to see Yak-3 from Zvezda in 1/48 as well. :thumbsup:

Does anybody knows if the example in Zadorozhny is real one? I know that Yak-3 in Le Bourget and Yugoslavia are real examples, not sure about this one.

Restored, it has about 60% original details.

I would love to see Yak-3 from Zvezda in 1/48 as well. :thumbsup:

Zvezda is already working on the 1/48 Yak-3.

Sergey.

Now that is exciting news! I have all their 1/48 scale offerings and they seem to have started out good and gotten even better. The Yak-3 should be great if the Bf-109F is anything to go by. Of course, I am also looking forward to their Su-2.

Are you aware of any other 1/48 scale kits in the works, or aren't you allowed to tell yet?

Restored, it has about 60% original details.

Sergey.

Do you know if things like Fuselage and wings are original? Main parts i mean.

Wow, that is some news. Thanks for giving heads up. :thumbsup:

Do you know if things like Fuselage and wings are original? Main parts i mean.

Original parts:

Fuselage bracing frame, tail, horizontal stabilizer, wingroot fairing, spinner, wheel wells, wing about 50% original, cockpit equipment about 80% original.

But keep in mind that this Yak correspond to after war variant with 3 B-20 guns so it look a bit different from what you usually can see on the wartime photos:

IMG_7806.jpg

Sergey.

Sink marks: There are some sink marks due to contraction of the hot plastic after molding visible on the upper and lower surfaces of the wings, in the area where the wing thickness changes suddenly due to the way the insert which includes the wheel well openings is designed. These sink marks are very shallow; they are in a location where a coat or two of liquid filler can easily be applied and sanded down without endangering any detail.

I need to, let's say, modify my comment there - the sink marks on the wings took a lot more than one or two layers of Mr Surfacer to get them levelled out. Just so you know...

John

I was build one a week ago. It is a really click 'n clack kit - and is very nice, much nicer as old SMÄšR (ex-Heller) and maybe Hasegawa. In first and second look to it is a really Yak-3 !

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about the Yak-3, but I've bought 3 Zvezda aircraft kits and ended up getting more than I bargained for:

1/144 Ilyushin Il-86 airliner

1/72 Petlyakov Pe-8 heavy bomber (it sucks that they don't offer the version with ASh-82 radial engines)

1/48 Lavochkin La-5 fighter

IME the Zvezda kits have crisp detail which rivals the Tamiya kits, but a LOT more parts!

BTW if any newbies are reading this post and are on the fence about buying a Zvezda kit... go for it. You can't beat them for detail. They are worth every penny and then some.

Now, if Zvezda would only come out with some 1/24 car kits...

BTW if any newbies are reading this post and are on the fence about buying a Zvezda kit... go for it. You can't beat them for detail. They are worth every penny and then some.

Don't want to muddy the waters on this, because I do agree; however, this applies mainly to Zvezda's more recent kits. Some of their older stuff is reissues of kits from other sources (frequently early Italeri) and should be approached with caution. Examples are their 1/72 La-5FN (old Italeri kit) and 1/72 MiG-3 (Cap Croix du Sud, also reissued by Italeri). They also have a 1/72 P-40B whose origins I can't remember - Frog/Novo, perhaps? Their 1/72 P-39 is quite nice-looking, but it's basically a reworked Heller one, IIRC.

John

My Zvezda Yak arrived today. I was quite pleased, only the holes in the tires (for mounting w/o glue) initially struck me as kind of strange, but that is what filler is for I reckon :) The English translation for some of the colors - notably steel color as one of the topside greys seems a bit off too. - Although what I know of VVS camouflage colors would fit on the proverbial head of a pin, and leave room for dancing pixies.

Don't want to muddy the waters on this, because I do agree; however, this applies mainly to Zvezda's more recent kits. Some of their older stuff is reissues of kits from other sources (frequently early Italeri) and should be approached with caution. Examples are their 1/72 La-5FN (old Italeri kit) and 1/72 MiG-3 (Cap Croix du Sud, also reissued by Italeri). They also have a 1/72 P-40B whose origins I can't remember - Frog/Novo, perhaps? Their 1/72 P-39 is quite nice-looking, but it's basically a reworked Heller one, IIRC.

John

I have that P-40B and it is pretty awful. I'm not one to give up on a kit, but I pretty much have on that one since there are so many cheap P-40 kits that are waaaaaaaaaay better. The decals aren't even much use.

My Zvezda Yak arrived today. I was quite pleased, only the holes in the tires (for mounting w/o glue) initially struck me as kind of strange, but that is what filler is for I reckon :) The English translation for some of the colors - notably steel color as one of the topside greys seems a bit off too. - Although what I know of VVS camouflage colors would fit on the proverbial head of a pin, and leave room for dancing pixies.

I really like it, although there are those whose opinion I respect who feel otherwise - perhaps because of compromises (like those holes in the tires you mentioned) for the snap-together features. I'm just in the process of destroying mine by trying to open it up for a pair of Moskit exhausts. I wouldn't have bothered, but I wrecked the kit exhausts by trying to drill them out! :whistle:

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I received my kits approximately 1 week ago. They look OK for me. So, I can sell the Eduard kit (together with a Heller kit) that I have in my stash, and to refocus on a small and modern kit (I also have a Hobbyboss one).

Gutt, gutt, gutt... :)

And now, Comrade Zvezda, I want the Yak-9 and -7 ! :lol: