Iwata Airbrush Question...

Hi fellas

I'm just about to buy an Iwata Revolution HP-AR Airbrush R1500 - 4333 ... one thing stops me: Is this baby dual action?

Thanks

Take Care

It is dual action. Check this web site.

But are you sure that you really want to get an airbrush with particular NO cup for modeling? More precisely, the cup is a dimple 0.9 ml in volume. Think twice.

Cup size depends on what needs you have, what you are used to, and your method. I rarely use large cup airbrushes for anything but large area paint jobs, and even then, I usually prefere to refill an extra time than filling more than halfway up.

Maybe MaRIO FDZ wants an airbrush for detailing? If so, the AR is probably perfect.

• 3 months later...

Hi fellas

I don't mind the small cup, I had a Badger syphon airbrush until recently and I use its bottles to mix and store paint, just pour it into the Cup and off I go.

Thanks for the help, I did get the Iwata airbrush.

Take Care

Been thinking about an Iwata myself, actually; the Badger 350 I've been using for 25 years or so is starting to give out, even with plenty of non-original fittings. Not to hijack, but does the Iwata line have fittings to fit a Badger compressor?

Been thinking about an Iwata myself, actually; the Badger 350 I've been using for 25 years or so is starting to give out, even with plenty of non-original fittings. Not to hijack, but does the Iwata line have fittings to fit a Badger compressor?

I think you will find the connection at the compressor is the same. You will need an adapter if you want to continue using the Badger hose. You might want to consider a double action Badger airbrush.

Don

Thanks Don; curious why you would recommend a double action Badger for me, would it be since I've been essentially a lifelong Badger user? Or only because of the compressor?

I didn't mean to recommend. I just thought you might want to consider another Badger since you've had one so long. But, Iwata makes great airbrushes, and you weren't asking for recommendations. I should have considered that.

Don

Greetings,

I wanted to reply to this thread. I own 2 Iwata's, a Peak and a H&S Evolution. All are very good airbrushes, especially the H&S which are a little on the pricey side. I recently read very positive reviews on the Badger Krome. Saw that it was inexpensive and had to try one. I have never owned a Badger product before. I had some difficutly trying to get one, it seems that they sell out as soon as they come in. I thought that this was a very good sign. I finally got one from tcgraphics who was selling them for $115.00 shipped. All I can say is WOW. The Krome came with a very durable metal case, two needles and tips. Of all the brushes that I own, the Krome has the smoothest action. Once I started using it, ithas now become my airbrush of choice.

The Krome comes with the smaller needle installed and with proper thinning and air pressure, I was easily able to get nice thin lines. It has solvent resistant seals, pre set and cut away handle. The pre set handle has number settings for easy reference. IMO the only other thing they could have done better was to engineer the brush so that the needle could be replaced from the front of the brush. My H&S has that feature and I prefer that rather than dragging a dirty needle back through the airbrush.

Dealing with tcgraphics was fantastic with excellent customer service. I was really impressed when I initially called them and they told me that they were out of stock. Several days later I got another call from them advising that they had just gotten two in stock and wanted to know if I was still interested. That really impressed me. Actually my brother-in-law was also impressed with the Krome and we ordered a second from tcgraphics.

So in summary, if you are looking for a dual action, feature packed, made in America airbrush at a very reasonable price, check out the Krome, you won't be disappointed. The Krome is definitely gonna give Iwata and the other high end brushes a run for the money.

cbreeze

Edited by CBREEZE

While I may not agree with CBREEZE on everything. But I like to second his comment that the Badger Krome has one of the smoothest trigger mechanism. According to Badger, the Krome share the trigger design of the SOTAR 20/20 which sets it aside from the other Renegade airbrushes.

The Krome shares the nozzle and needle set with other Renegades. The krome 0.2 mm needle has a linear air flow angle of 6 degrees. It is at the top as the smallest among Badgers, but is the middle of the pack compared to Iwata and H&S which have 5 degrees at the top needles. The mid range Iwata such as the Eclipse HP-CS also has a 6 degrees needle taper. The needle taper or linear flow angle correlates well with the amount of overspray. The samller the angle, the less the overspray. That makes it better suited for finer detail.

Personally, I feel that the 6 degrees taper is perfect for general modeling work. The 5 degrees needle is very good for artist, but a little too delicate for modeling.

Amony my airbrushes, the Krome trigger is as smooth as the H&S Evolution and the Iwata HP-CS is slightly tighter or stiffer. All have very smooth, precision trigger with long linear stroke for paint control. A modeler will not go wrong with any of these airbrushes.

Edited by Kei Lau

Okay, so now that the thread's been officially hijacked...I'm considering the Badger 175 Crescendo, the 155 Anthem and the 360 Universal. 100% of my experience has been on the 350, over a 25-year period. Thoughts and recommendations?

The three you mention share the same tips, spray regulators and needle profiles and spray the same. The 175 has a hefty feel and an optional 1mm tip for really wide coverage. The 155 has a more standard body and feel. The 360 is a compromise. You can't use a 1/4oz. cup on it and in gravity mode it holds very little paint. All three are good airbrushes and way superior to your 350. The 155 is my personal favorite. You could check my reviews for output samples.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions.

Don

Okay, so now that the thread's been officially hijacked...I'm considering the Badger 175 Crescendo, the 155 Anthem and the 360 Universal. 100% of my experience has been on the 350, over a 25-year period. Thoughts and recommendations?

Mario was discussing an Iwata. And I thought that you were thinking about an Iwata too. Yes, I see that you are changing your mind and try to hijack this thread.

Let's stay on topic of Iwata. :yahoo: The Eclipse HP-CS is an excellent all round airbrush for modeling. It may cost a little more than the three Badgers that you are considering. But it will be worth it.

An Iwata compatible airhose will fit the Badger Compressor just fine. They all use 1/4" BSP thread. However, do not expect a Badger hose to fit any other airbrush except the Badger airbrush.

Edited by Kei Lau

LOL..sorry Kei! :cheers:

So can I assume everything named would be a substantial improvement over the 350, then? :)

Don, I have perused your site--VERY useful reviews, and what a service you have provided to the modelmaking community! I guess what I'm still trying to find is, comparisons with what I've had to where I think I can effectively, affordably and happily go to without too many headaches.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

So can I assume everything named would be a substantial improvement over the 350, then? :)

Don, I have perused your site--VERY useful reviews, and what a service you have provided to the modelmaking community! I guess what I'm still trying to find is, comparisons with what I've had to where I think I can effectively, affordably and happily go to without too many headaches.

I hate to abet a highjacking, but I will add this. The 350 is perfectly good for general coverage, as you are no doubt aware. A double action airbrush is going to give you much more control. But, with control, comes the ability to screw things up easier. So, expect to spend a little time learning to use it. The brushes you mentioned have nice big nozzles that can go from fine lines to whoops with a flick of the finger. It's very handy, but some people have a problem with that. But, they can all accept a smaller nozzle, and the parts only run about $20.

Thank you for the comment on the site.

Good luck with your choice.

Don