Airbus A340-300 Finnair 1/144

I may be rushing you a bit, but how will you handle the windows on the fuselage?

1)Leave them open

2)Fill and decal

3)Clear with clearfix

4)Other method

Details would be appreciated

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for posting.

The windows is a thing that I've been thinking a lot.. my objective is to make it like the real one, but still have to test different methods. I've been thinking about transparent resin, but it may create small bubbles as well as the heat produced in the drying process can affect the plastic of the fuselage.

I also have been thinking about using those extra hard and bicomponent glues that usually are transparent.

I think I will attach a thin oval tube to each window to make a frame inside the fuselage just to imitate that there is a panel inside.. and create a 3D effect while the transparent component inside the window will keep the surface smooth.

Quite complicated but I'll try my best, also I'm going to try to make photoetched engine fan blades for first time, I have all the material and lots of resource and information so once the landing gears are completed (still a lot to do and no pictures today, sorry) I will take a look on which part I'm going to do next.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone who is reading my thread and to all those airliner lovers (real models as well as scale models :P)

Guillem

Thank you very much Nige,

Finally both landing gears were completed, I hope everything will be ok once I have to fit them to the wings and fuselage.

Next step, front landing gear.

fin58.jpg

fin59.jpg

fin60.jpg

fin61.jpg

fin62.jpg

fin63.jpg

Those pictures will be the last ones of this year so... Happy new year everyone! :woo::thumbsup::cheers: :lol:

See you all next year. :wave:

Guillem

• 2 weeks later...

I'm impressed the post went down to the 3rd page without comments on my last pictures.

Anyway, here there are few more.

Don't think it is because we don't appreciate your work. It is very good and i think i will use the tire idea for my current build.

Edited by streetstream

I'm impressed the post went down to the 3rd page without comments on my last pictures.

Dear Guillem,

Please don't see this as a lack of interest. On the contrary, your work has inspired me to take my EI A330 out of the box again, which I started somewhere in 2004. Your work on the landing gear and nose wheel really looks stunning. And it is very much appreciated that you share all the steps that you have been through with us. Now I can easily simulate your work!

Looking forward to your developments.

Regards,

Ingmar

Happy new year Guillem

this build is looking fab i must say you have done a fine job on those rear wheels and it looks like the front leg is getting the same treatment nice one my friend keep at it.

Clive

Thank you very much to everyone.

Today I'm going to post pictures of the nose gear, I don't know if you will understand the modifications I did but I hope that will be easy to understand the steps I did.

I'm not an expert about aircraft systems, I love them and use to fly them on flight simulator but don't know the structure 100% just try to copy general parts of the real aircraft.

fin70.jpg

fin71.jpg

fin72.jpg

fin73.jpg

fin74.jpg

fin75.jpg

fin76.jpg

fin77.jpg

I had to remove the plastic and the supports of the ¿taxi or nosegear lights? but I kept the main structure so I hope to not to have problems to attach it later to the nosegear bay.

fin78.jpg

fin79.jpg

fin80.jpg

fin81.jpg

fin82.jpg

fin83.jpg

fin84.jpg

I don't know if these small lights are the taxi lights or just called nosegear lights, the bigger ones are the taxi lights or landing lights? who knows, I just tried to imitate the original.

fin85.jpg

fin86.jpg

fin87.jpg

fin88.jpg

fin89.jpg

Edited by Roca46

Thank you very much all! :thumbsup:

Excellent work again! Can you explain why you changed that joint in your second picture? Doesn't that weaken the structure of the gear?

I decided to use a different method because the quality of these small parts aren't great, so that means that there are a small gaps and the line of the union of both pieces could be seen so instead of adding putty and then sanding I decided to cut a rod in the same height as the part substituted.

I don't think it will weak the structure because I use a hard glue but most important is that this whole of parts is very small so there isn't a lot of weight. The plastic rod I used is solid and it joins both parts firmly enough to hold the weight of the front section (hopefully :hmmm::thumbsup2: )

I think that the revell way could make to broken the part easily because it glues in the sides but with my method it supports the weight and is glued from top to bottom, but anyway I think I did it to save time adding putty and sanding. :lol: :bandhead2:

Great job again! Will you put some extra effort in the lights to represent transparent light units?

I was asking myself the same question when I was adding the light units, but those parts are very very small so I still don't know how to make it like a real one, I heard about crystal clear from microscale I think.. but yep! now writting this I've got an idea! :woo: Maybe if I make a decal by using a reference of the real one.. and then adding a thin transparent plastic.. anyway I'll have to give it a try.

Hopefully tomorrow or during this weekend I will paint the entire set and I'll start with the wheels too.

Cheers.

Guillem

A bit of progress today.

I did a search for nose gear lights and I think I found a good picture of a 757 nose gear lights that I used to create my own decals, they are very very small, almost impossible for my printer to reproduce with detail, but anyway I think is ok.

fin93.jpg

fin94.jpg

fin95.jpg

fin96.jpg

fin97.jpg

fin98.jpg

I insist that these parts are very very small so I wanted to show you in some pictures how small they are so you can get an idea by looking at the close up pictures and then comparing with the 1/1 size.

Hope you like it, more pictures to come this weekend.

Guillem

Thanks all :)

Have you thought of using MV lenses for the T.O. and taxi lights? It would be more reflective.

Thank you for the info Alex, never heared about MV lenses, I did a quick check on Internet and they look great, will not be in time for this but I will try to use them on my next builds.

Anyway, in the pictures the decal has just been applied so no clear coat has been added yet, main problem is that this is very small so I wanted to recreate the "chromed" part of the lense of the real aircraft by using a photo as a reference for making the decal.

I'm going to try to add a drop of clear or varnish to see if this adds a plus to make it look more reflective and realistic.

By the way, I used this image for making the decal

Thanks again for the information! :)

Guillem

fin110.jpg

fin111.jpg

fin112.jpg

There are a couple of small problems, that's what happens when you modify a such delicated part but anyway I already solved the problem with the white part and I only have to sand a bit the fuselage to allow more space to the lights, the nose gear is still unglued.

fin113.jpg

That's all for now.

Guillem

fin114.jpg

fin115.jpg

fin116.jpg

fin117.jpg

fin118.jpg

I think I've found the system I'll use to make the windows.. so as I did a quick test now I wonder if I should add some figures behind the windows, still don't know which version do, I thought about making few JAL technicians or ramp agents (as the airplane flown to Japan and as a member of OneWorld it has codeshares with JAL) but now with the possibility to make transparent windows I'm thinking of including few figures, and of course, seats. Anyway not sure if will be a lot seen from the exterior, but the silhouette of a person seated will give it a touch of realism I think.

fin00.jpg

So where did you find that bunch of (pre-painted?) pax?

Not sure which seller was, but it was on Ebay. I originally bought them to fill the Revell's old 747 with interior (I think the airline on that kit was Scandinavian)

Here is a quick search http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=scale+N+100+figures+painted&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Wow thanks, I might see if I can buy one of those sets too.

You should save them for a cutaway model and use needle heads to simulate the passengers behind the windows! I thought I have seen a manual by 'OldHooker' once about that..

Personally I think adding a full cabin to a 144 scale airliner is a bit pointless as you really don't see it unless you open up some doors.

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman