Fortune Favors the Bold...Tigers

Greetings Everyone,

For my first in-progress thread of 2012, here is the Revell of Germany F-15E in 1/144th. I'll be using Zactoman's resin set for it (seats, center pylon, and burner cans). Decals will be homemade for 90-0235 as seen in 2010. At the time I saw this jet, it flew with a light gray fuel tank on the right wing and no crew names were painted on it.

On to the kit. Of note, the instructions have you put the intakes on the wrong side.

2012-01-28_185652.jpg

So far, the only area needing filler is the wing joint beneath the wing. I also opened up the holes for the centerline pylon and target/nav pods. I'll be using/improving Dragon's LANTIRN pods.

2012-01-28_185733.jpg

And a little taste of what else I'm working on...

2012-01-28_185832.jpg

V/r,

John

Edited by John King

Niiiice! :thumbsup: Good to see 1/144 getting so much love these days!

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the intakes. Have a look at the vertical stabs as well. I think I read somewhere Revell mixed up the tails as well. ;)

EDIT: Yup, they did mix them up. The drawing looks kinda correct (with the tail with the bigger pod on the port/left hand side), but if you go by the numbers, they end up on the wrong side.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update. I put a little paint on the ejection seats. I still need to add a wash, drybrush, and add a couple little placards to the seats (not necessarily in that order).

DSCN4188.jpg

John

Edited by John King
  • 1 month later...

Small update. I was able to get the seats in the cockpit and the fuselage halves glued together. I used the instrument panel decals from Spejic; these are great and really add to the cockpit. The Zactomodels seats are simply amazing. I'll be building this with the canopy closed, otherwise I would have added the WSO's control sticks on each side of the cockpit.

DSCN4230.jpg

DSCN4231.jpg

DSCN4235.jpg

DSCN4236.jpg

DSCN4237.jpg

I still plan to add a hud, and then I should be done with the cockpit.

John

Nice progress John. I have this kit in my stash already and it looks like I will need to order some little goodies from Zactoman too. :thumbsup:

BTW. I am also working on little MiGs right now and T-33, which I am posting here on ARC.

First round of decals on. The attachment points for the vertical stabs are fairly nonexistent. As such, I knocked the right vert stab off multiple times.

2012-03-25_143130.jpg

I still have to put the 391 FS patch on the left CFT and another decal layer of "MO" and serial codes on the vert stabs. I still need to modify the Mk.82s into GBU-38s and paint/add all the other weapons. Hoping I can get this done before the Seattle Spring show.

John

Nice and clean work John. Is it just one tone gray and what color did you use?

BTW. a little bit of critique, and I know it is only seen from underneath, but those pin marks in air intakes are real eyesores.

I used MM Gunship Gray. For the natural metal areas, which are masked off, I used a mix of Talon Acrylic and MM Metalizers. I plan on making intake covers, which is why I didn't mess with those injector pin marks. I also plan to weather the model and make the nose cone look a little lighter than the rest of the kit as I've rarely seen a Strike Eagle with the nose being the exact same color as the rest of the jet. I appreciate the critique and your T-33 is marvelous!

Quick update for the night. I made the intake covers out of black electric tape; I got the idea after looking at some 48th Steel Beach intake covers.

2012-03-30174931.jpg

2012-03-30174856.jpg

2012-03-30174733.jpg

Edited by John King

Well, I'm calling it compelete. I ended up adding 2x GBU-12s, 1x GBU-10, and 1x GBU-31(v)3. Better pictures to follow later.

2012-04-01_223130.jpg

2012-04-01_223317.jpg

2012-04-01_223441.jpg

I have to say that the Zactomodels resin upgrade are a must if you build this kit!

John