New (ish) Russian AF Markings

I have noticed some new writing on Russian AF jets with their new national insignia. I am seeing on the verticaal fins what looks like (non Cyrillic keyboard:-) ) "BBC POCCNN" and above that in a more stenciled look "RF#####". I don't read cyrillic so I am thinking that thet say roughly "RUSSIA AF" and Russian Forces #####, which I guess is some type of serial number.

Just curious, no big project....

Thanks!!

'BBC Rossiya' means 'VVS Russia' - which is the official name for the Russian Air Force....

Voyenno-vozdooshnyyw seely - literally 'Air Force'

They have also added the RF- (Russian Federation) codes.

Both of which totally spoil the look IMHO.......

day1_008.JPG

day1_035.JPG

In addition, they have changed the Red Star - to one with a blue/white border to reflect the Russian flag - Yuck !!!

Both the RF & BBC codes plus the new white/blue/red stars are provided on the Begemot decal sheets pointed to by Van Buren Boys

Ken

You know my friends, from 10 meters new stars look like old insignia - thin blue outline is not visible.

But contrast (white-black) writing and codes - its clear to see.

I guess I am one of the few that likes the new star :D

And I guess I'm with you!

You know my friends, from 10 meters new stars look like old insignia - thin blue outline is not visible.

That's what I'm thinking too.

But contrast (white-black) writing and codes - its clear to see.

good example is Ken's Su-25 above - you can clearly see VVS titles and RF code but the star appears to be the old one, but it is not

It's not only the insignia: from a ten meter distance, a lot of things in today's Russia look just like the old Soviet Union. ;)

On a more serious note, I recently noticed small rectangular "slime lights" on some Russian aircraft, similar to those on Western aircraft. I wonder if these are limited to export aircraft ( former Algerian Mig-29 SMTs have them).

Edited by KursadA

On a more serious note, I recently noticed small rectangular "slime lights" on some Russian aircraft, similar to those on Western aircraft. I wonder if these are limited to export aircraft ( former Algerian Mig-29 SMTs have them).

They are visible on the recently inducted production Su-35S and Su-30M3 in Russian camo - for the RusAF.

On the prototypes (901 & 902) they were black-bordered mustard coloured, on the production machines, they appear as black rectangles.

Ken