Having just completed my Sabre for the In Defence of Europe GB, I can now start this project. It's the 3 in 1 boxing (Bong's "Marge", a droop snoot or a nightfighter) of the kit. It'll be a P-38J or L but I'm not sure which markings. I have the kit decals for Marge but I also have AeroMaster's Lightnings in Drab Battle Dress (48-084) and Pacific Lightnings (48-554).

Sheet 084 has markings for the 55th and 365th FGs in Europe as well as the 80th FG in India. All are OD over grey. Sheet 554 has J model, OD over grey, from the 431st FS, 475th FG and an L model from 35th FS, 8th FG which is natural metal.

Decisions...decisions...

Edited by AX 365

Thanks Neo and thank you to you and blunce for moderating.

I've got the cockpit assembled and installed and I've glued the upper and lower wing and centre fuselage together. The cockpit is somewhat spartan and the fit into the centre pod leaves a bit to be desired. There are a few gaps but no deal breakers as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, the join of the upper and lower halves was surprisingly good. There should only be a minimal amount of sanding required to make the seam presentable. I'm not sure about the booms and their join to the wings. We'll see how that goes.

The canopy is made up of five pieces. I have the EZMasks for the Hasegawa P-38 and hopefully :pray: they'll be a comparable fit for this glass. Masking would be a bit of a PITA.

As for decals, I'm leaning towards either the 55th or 356th FG markings from the ETO.

I'm off for the next 11 days and the missus is going to be out of town for the better part of them. There should be some serious plastic time for your truly. I'll post some photos tomorrow of the progress and decal options.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Here are the photos as promised.

Wings and center nacelle

Wings1.jpg

Cockpit

Cockpit1-1.jpg

Seam join

Joint1.jpg

Sample of gaps

Gap1.jpg

Other parts ready for assembly

Parts1.jpg

Kit decals

KitDecals.jpg

AeroMaster sheet 084

Sheet084-2.jpg

Aeromaster sheet 554

Sheet554-2.jpg

More photos to follow as progress is made. Thanks for looking.

Mike

Oof that looks like it's going to be a lot of work.

It looks worse than it is. A lot of it has been scraped down and sanded out already this afternoon. There is still more work to be done on that particular seam but it should end up looking not too bad.

The bigger problem will be the booms joining the wings. The top joint isn't too bad. There's a 1/16" or so gap between the wing and the boom, inside and outside, on both sides. I'll post some photos to illustrate the cavern later on. Patience, a bit of plasticard. some filler and a bit of elbow grease should do the trick.

Thanks for checking in, BAH!

Mike

Ballast weight added. Small steel sinkers - one in each boom, forward of the main gear and a smaller one in the nose.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0003-8.jpg

The gaps where the booms attach to the wings. Plasticard + filler + elbow grease (sanding sticks + wet sanding) = acceptable results. Hopefully!

DSC_0004-7.jpg

DSC_0005-4.jpg

DSC_0006-5.jpg

DSC_0007-8.jpg

DSC_0008-7.jpg

DSC_0009-6.jpg

Most of the gaps can be filled with plasticard. Will work on this over the weekend and post more photos when results are obtained.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

bye bye rivet detail :(

you going to rescribe it?

Although I haven't completely finished filling the gaps, things haven't turned out too bad. If I play my cards right, I may not have to do any sanding or rescribing at all. :woot.gif: I've filled in the large gaps with plasticard stock. The good thing about these gaps is that there was no step in the joint. The tops and bottoms were directly above each other with no offset. The stock has been glued into place and there is virtually no seam to deal with. Any small gaps will be filled with gap filling CA or Testor's Clear Parts Cement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I should be ok with this. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of the progress made since the last post.

This is the result of some plastic card stock, Tamiya thin cement, a few clamps and some Testors clear parts cement. The boom gaps illustrated in the photos above have virtually disappeared.

boomseam2.jpg

boomseam1.jpg

The model is moulded to allow the gun bays and ammo storage to be visible. I chose to button things up. :bandhead2: To this point, this had been the most frustrating part of the build. The gaps on the door joint to the forward fuselage is atrocious. Gaps and steps galore. Plastic card, glue, putty, sanding (for the most part with a Q-tip soaked with nail polish remover to remove putty but not detail) and more clear parts cement. It's not too bad but I'll see how much more work is needed after the first coat of primer.

noseseam1.jpg

noseseam2.jpg

The gap where the horizontal stab fits through the booms was massive. I glued the stabilizer to the top of the opening as it would be most visible. The gap underneath was frightening. This gap was willed with clear parts cement alone. The extent of the gaps is visible here.

tailgap2.jpg

tailgap1.jpg

The five piece canopy is now the bane of my existence. The only pieces that fit half decently are the front and rear parts. The other three centre parts (top and side windows) have required me to keep a bottle of scotch beside the bench. Not a bad thing necessarily but... The canopy is so much work, I've just ordered a couple of Squadron vacuform canopies (as well as a few other 1/32 scale Sabre goodies :woot.gif: ) from Gordo at Sprue Brother. So, until I receive my order from Gordon (usually about three weeks), except for a few minor bits of work, this build is pretty well on hold at this stage of completion:

Almostdone-bottom.jpg

Almostdone-top.jpg

Thanks for checking in. I'll post more photos as things progress.

:cheers:

Mike

Thanks for the pick me up, Neo. Mucho appreciado. On a side note, I had to add more weight to the nacelles to counter the added weight of the horizontal stabilizer.

Edited by AX 365

The canopy is so much work, I've just ordered a couple of Squadron vacuform canopies (as well as a few other 1/32 scale Sabre goodies :woot.gif: ) from Gordo at Sprue Brother. So, until I receive my order from Gordon (usually about three weeks), except for a few minor bits of work, this build is pretty well on hold at this stage of completion

WOW :jaw-dropping:

The order was filled and in the USPS system within two hours of my sending it and it was at the USPS processing facility in Kansas City within 4 hours. :thumbsup: Now let's see how long it takes to go through the entire USPS, Customs and Canada Post services chain.

Two hours. Gordo is the man!

Mike

You've done a fantastic job dealing with the poor fit on this kit - especially the wing to boom joints. I understand the head-banging emoticon, believe me... seems the last few builds I've done have been in the same category. Just finished my commission-build Tutor for a colleague, in kitchen foil - new glue tried, and it was a real bear. And of course, the CF-5 conversion from Belcher Bits was a 10.5 on the difficulty scale for me. I don't think I'd have the patience you're showing to fix all these seams.

Bonne chance, mon ami!

ALF

Thanks ALF! There were a few expletives thrown around the bench while filling and sanding so it has been refreshing to let it sit while I awaited the arrival of the vacuform canopies. Speaking of which, they arrived in the mail within the past few days and we picked them up from the mailbox on Wednesday night. I've never worked with vacuform before so this will be a challenge. I have plenty of new blades and sanding sticks at the ready. I just hope that I don't bugger everything up. Patience would appear to be the key. It's a full weekend but maybe some free time on Sunday evening. We'll see.

Well the canopy is masked and on. Looks pretty good. For the most part, she's complete. I added a couple of items this morning and the glue is still drying. I hope to spray some paint this afternoon. I brushed on some Tamiya aluminum paint over the joints. They're pretty good. They'll never be perfect and I can live with the results...unless they look so horrible with the final paint then I'll fix things. It's going to be painted OD over Neutral Grey. Which markings? Still undecided at this point.

Will post more photos later. Thanks for looking.

Mike

Another small update...

I just finished painting the neutral grey. Next step will be masking for the olive drab. I'm leaning towards CL * T, 'Stinger' from the 55th FG. The nose area around the guns is red so it, along with the nose art, will add a bit of colour to the grey / green scheme. Will post photos when the painting is done some time next week hopefully.

I shall bow to the pressures exerted by Neo and His Blunceness. I took these moments ago.

The wheels and tires are moulded together in black plastic. I'll spray then silver and then pint the tires flat black.

Wheels-2.jpg

I've painted the prop tips yellow and have masked them in order to paint the spinners and blades.

Props.jpg

The Squadron vacuformed canopy attached, masked and the frames painted interior green.

MaskedCanopy.jpg

The underside boom to wing joints turned out not to badly after paint was applied. I can live with these results.

FilledSeam1.jpg

FilledSeam2.jpg

FilledSeam3.jpg

The top boom to wing seams will need some work. The superchargers are just taped in place. I'll remove them for painting after spraying the olive drab top coat.

RoomSeam1.jpg

BoomSeam2-1.jpg

Part 2 to follow...

The gun and ammo access door seams I think I can live with. We'll see how it looks with the olive drab.

FilledNose3.jpg

FilledNose2.jpg

FilledNose1.jpg

The Testors Clear Parts Cement did a great job filling the huge gap on the underside of the boom where the horizontal stabilizer fits into the vertical stabilizers.

FilledSeamTail.jpg

That's where things stand for now. I got home from work and took the pictures. I'm going to have dinner and relax for the evening before going to bed early as I have to work days on Sunday. I'm off Monday and Tuesday but those days are both pretty busy. I'll see what work I can do in my spare time.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I appreciated it. And I concur with your sentiments blunce. I'm polishing a turd but I don't think it will be a completely polished one by the time I'm finished. There might be a few rough edges. My GAF Factor (Give A Fark) on this one is not very high.

Take care boys.

Mike

Finally, pics... All of us were thinking what Blunce said so bluntly! :D

The turd is turning out pretty well. The P-38 is quite a fiddly aircraft, what with the multiple seams (boom to wing, boom to tailplane, armament doors, etc), and is tough to weight down properly so it won't tail-sit. Your GAF factor is actually higher than mine is these days.

Sorry to see the Sens get bounced from the playoffs, Mike! You were lucky to be able to get to some really exciting games. Looks like the Rangers are doing a good job against the Capitals; they might go quite far this year.

ALF

Merci, Monsieur ALF. I remember building this kit years ago and giving to the son of a co-worker. I don't remember that one being as much of a bear with horrible joints and seams that this one is. C'est la vie. I guess the moulds are finally starting show their age. What do you expect for $13 and free aftermarket decals?

We did see some good Sens hockey but they shot themselves in the foot in game 6. They grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. They had the Rangers on the ropes until they got into penalty trouble. But life goes on. Not bad for a bunch of guys who the experts predicted would finish last in the conference and anywhere from 28th to 30th overall. Pretty darn good if you ask me. And as much as I dislike Tortorella, I agree with your assessment. The Rangers will overpower the Caps and I think their goaltending with Lundquist will beat Philly's piece of swiss cheese named Bryzgalov in the East Final. I can't see Washington eating New York and I can't see Marty Brodeur and the Devils beating the Flyers. We renewed our seat tickets for next year so we're looking forward to another fun season of Sens hockey in 2012 - 2013.

Take care, mon chum.