New resin items for MiG-23 (1/72)

Been wanting to treat myself to a couple of the RV MiG-23 series for a while, now there is a new (to me, at least) aftermarket supplier making these nifty looking interiors and gear bays:

RES IM

There goes my 2012 resolution to buy less and build more... :bandhead2:

Hope other Flogger fanciers may find this useful!

Lol! I saw this too mate and like you I had no intention of buying any kits for some time. So I had a look on good ol Ebay and noticed RV released a Mig-23BN too. So since I prefer the look of the Mig-27 nose I bit the bullet and got 1 along with the resin cockpit and wheelbays. And you may also be surprised to know that there is also some aftermarket wings and control surfaces available for these kits too.

And you may also be surprised to know that there is also some aftermarket wings and control surfaces available for these kits too.

Damn! You sayin' Mr Vavrina got the ferkin' WINGS wrong??? :doh:

Thanks for the info, Sir -will be learning to exist on oxygen pies and rainwater this summer...

Edited by ChippyWho

Nothing wrong with the kit wings...aftermarket wings (same manufacturer - RV Resin) are with dropped flaps, slats and opened spoilers...I have two sets in my stash...excellent casting with PE (for my ML and BN flogger).

Regarding cockpit....RV resin produces one and RES-IN produces one....I have both...better is RES-IN (crispy details, far more better than RV resin cockpit).

RESIN cockpit match ML version but in my opinion with little update, you can use it for other versions (it depends on your accuracy expectations)

see

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/index.php/2012/03/19/172-mig-23-control-surfaces-upgrade-set-r-v-aircraft/

and the best flogger build I ever seen :-)))

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65196

Damn! You sayin' Mr Vavrina got the ferkin' WINGS wrong??? :doh:

No, the wings are fine. It is just Mr. Vavrina trying to make some extra CZK with detail sets (just like the kit was not expensive enough!).

Talking about accuracy, I don't think the RES-IM parts are any more correct than the kit parts. More detailed, yes. The jet pipe looks too short and the starboard wheel bay should extend further back under the skin:

RES-IM_1-72_MiG-23_Sets_%2811%29_fs.jpg

compare to:

mig-23ml_099_of_120.jpg

Nothing personal...but I really enjoy "crying" for price :-D ... let's calculate how much a modeler spend for cigarets? for beers? etc.? and compare it with price for one flogger and e.g. RESIM sets for e.g. 6 months? (my build will take more time but I am very slow modeler)

...in my country, it is one 300g beef steaks, 4x pilsens and 2x espreso piccolo in good pub (La Casa Argentina...my favorite pub :))))

...or lets calculate how long it takes (in hours) to get Zvezda moulding to RV resin level (at least rescribing, riveting)...and multiply it with your hour rate :-))))...

Nothing personal...but I really enjoy "crying" for price :-D

I presume that comment is mostly directed at me (even though it is not personal). The RV kits ARE expensive - they are just the same plastic as any other kits. They are also good kits of subject which probably won't be a bestseller.

Comparison to beer or food is pointless, it is like saying you don't mind paying double for movie tickets because your house cost a lot more.

Back to the topic, what is wrong with the RV resin cockpit?

Sorry for my English (in my language "personal" can have several different meanings...I tried to use it to avoid any offense :-)).

Regarding the cockpit:

If I compare level of details (first view),

RESIM

+ details are more fine than Rv cockpit (significantly),

- probably, the master was build for ML version (not confirmed...just my speculation ... author of the master is the same person who built this http://modelforum.cz...php?f=6&t=65196)

RV resin

- details are "raw" in comparison with RESIM

+ provides 4 PE instrument panels for different versions (but the resin front panel is not adapted for the PE application!)

+ contains small CD with detail photos of BN, MF, ML, MLD and KM-1 seat

Note: I don't compare accuracy now, the cockpit body (both, RESIM and RV) is common for all versions this is not true for real subject, so small differences on sidewalls and the area under windshield does not reflect these real differences.

See the link for RV cockpit detail pictures:

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/index.php/2012/01/13/172-doplnky-firmy-r-v-aircraft-pro-mig-23/

The discussion regarding the price

Everything depends on your expectation of accuracy, level of details, etc. and what is the value for many for you :-)

- yes, in comparison to Zveda kit...it is costs more, but at least,

- Zvezda front fuselage shape is wrong...you can buy correction set but it raise the cost :-),

- one of Zvezda's wing has wrong shape (profile)

- to get to RV level, you have to rescribe it and rivet the kit

- RV resin is limited (short run) technology and "one man" company, Zvezda is not....the business models of both projects are little bit different...it has impact to end price of course...nothing unusual...

There is no reason to be annoyed to Mr. Vavrina...why?...try to do the same (invest money and time....thousands of hours.... and sell it for half price :-))))

I have respect to all who run their own business..it is up to them how much they ask for their effort and products. On the other hand, it is only my decision to buy or not to buy...and it is pointless to mutter if anybody offer his products for price which reflects his investment of many and time.

Regarding the "food, tickets etc."....pointless?...it depends on point of view :-)))....you have some budget and limited time(!) for your own entertainment....generally it doesn't matter if it is for tickets, enjoying good food in the best pub in city or enjoying your hobby....it is still kind of entertainment and you usually pay for it.

For me, the time is money and to get Zvezda kit to RV level cost me more than is the price difference of those kits (other factor is my skills limitation :-D )

So from this point of view, I am ready to pay for RV Flogger.I will enjoy (I hope) the build for several months with ambition to get most accurate and detailed Flogger...use RV kit is quite easier way then from Zvezda kit (I hope :-D )...and from this point of view, the price is acceptable for me :-)))

Petr

Petr, thanks a lot for the info and links. You made me decide - I have got to get some of those items now. :-)

The discussion regarding the price

No amount of rationalization will change the fact that the RV kit is expensive. I know, because I have a big pile of them in my stash.

Many, many thanks for the information, guys! I take the point about the gear bay, but more detail rather than greater accuracy is often what a/m items are about. Got it about the resin wings, also!

I guess the RV kits are relatively expensive, but have no doubt they are worth it. My problem is more about spending guilt! (Normally, I'd expect my dear wife to handle that...)

Biggest problem I've found with the one I've got partially built is that the wings sag horribly when moved forward. I'm trying to decide if some sort of insert would do the trick. Other problem is the design of the intakes, which are REALLY tough to align properly. I was actually quite surprised that, while I was certain the intakes were 'way too small, they actually measure up quite correctly to MiG OKB drawings...although the intake splitter is another story. Still, that wasn't so tough to correct.

Biggest problem I've found with the one I've got partially built is that the wings sag horribly when moved forward. I'm trying to decide if some sort of insert would do the trick. Other problem is the design of the intakes, which are REALLY tough to align properly. I was actually quite surprised that, while I was certain the intakes were 'way too small, they actually measure up quite correctly to MiG OKB drawings...although the intake splitter is another story. Still, that wasn't so tough to correct.

Could you link to the drawings you have in mind, and explain a bit more regarding the splitters? And that resin cockpit looks really good.