So I go into the starbucks today to get myself a coffee and I attempt to use my debit card. I'm not sure if those exist in the US or not, I think they're actually just visa cards. In Canada though, separate bank cards all together... anyway, I go to pay and I find out my card has been locked out because it's been skimmed. Basically some store some place didn't have their debit machine locked down, someone replaced it with a counterfeit unit, and has been grabbing card data.

This is the 3rd time in as many months that this has happened to me and the thing that ticks me off the most is that nobody will tell me what store it's happening at. This means I have no idea what store to NOT GO INTO any more...meaning I'm likely to keep getting my cards skimmed if it's a place I frequent. The rational is that it's to protect the privacy of the store. What about the needs of the clients? My money and my access to my money is far more important than the store's desire for privacy. The tack on argument they make, is that it may harm the stores business... yes, me not going in there any more is the point. If the store can't keep their debit machine locked down then maybe they shouldn't be in business. I was speaking to a co-worker from the UK and he tells me that the banks there are obligated to tell you what store it was because of the legal process involved.

Anyway... needed to rant.

thanks

David

Sorry to hear about this David. Debit card skimming seems to be a problem here in the States too. I don't really know if there's a way around it in which one can safeguard their information either, as the skimmers are apparently quite difficult to detect.

Best,

Greg

Man that sucks! A few years ago there was a real problem with counterfeit debit machines in Quebec City. At that time a report came out showing how to ID a bad machine, basically the counterfeit ones had two magnetic readers instead of the standard one reader in the slot that you would swipe your card. However, that was before the card chip came out and it may be harder to spot now. These days I usually check to see if the debit machine at the cash is locked down either with a steel cable or some sort of case. I agree though that you shold be able to get the store`s name. That way if it is a place you still want to go to you can bring cash.

-Denis

yeah the guys at my old office all got snapped and we figured out that it was the gas station next door since we all went to the same places and im the only one that never went there!! it would have ben nice to know as one of the guys got burned multiple times there!

when they all stop going problem was solved!!

but then again buying starbucks coffee is getting robbed too!! :woot.gif:

Edited by Neo

Anytime you hand your debit card over to someone and they swipe it out of your visual sight, you are at risk of them skimming you. Hence many business do at the table processing and why checkouts have the card reader as part of the cash register. When they reach under the counter to swipe your card...question them why they don't have the reader in the customers line of sight. One clue they are skimming is the make multiple swipes using two closely placed card readers.

At ATMs, if something with the machine doesn't look right, DO NOT USE IT! The pros are attaching swipe machines and cameras to watch your transaction at the machine. Report suspicious ATMs and retailers.

Your bank was or should have been aware that this incident occurred as it was probably reported. Check with them.

Never associate a debit card with your main account. Have it separate as a working account with minimal in the account. Remember that it is your money you are using when making purchases, whereas when you use a credit card it is the credit card company/banks money. Hence CC are safer than DC.

Cash is a wonderful thing! But there are times when it is impractical and unsafe to have on your person...especially when carrying large amounts.

With new technology comes new risks. The latest is the smartphone apps that allow you to take a picture of a check to deposit it. This is a target for fraud! They are working to eliminate the paper process of financial transactions. Money will always be around, but checks and even plastic will soon be a thing of the past. Your smartphone will be your financial passport...either that or a small key fob like device. After that implanted microchips in your wrist.

Anytime you hand your debit card over to someone and they swipe it out of your visual sight, you are at risk of them skimming you. Hence many business do at the table processing and why checkouts have the card reader as part of the cash register. When they reach under the counter to swipe your card...question them why they don't have the reader in the customers line of sight. One clue they are skimming is the make multiple swipes using two closely placed card readers.

Almost no debit keypads are out of site here. I can't think of a single time in the past year that I've had someone take my card from me to swipe it or put it in the chip reader. In fact most places don't even want to touch it now. The problem, as I've been told, is that the keypads are being replaced by counterfeit ones. So often the clerk at the counter doesn't even know what's going on.

Cash is a wonderful thing! But there are times when it is impractical and unsafe to have on your person...especially when carrying large amounts.

I almost never carry cash now. It's pretty much dead to me.

I've gone back to cash for small purchases,for this exact reason. Had my debit card skimmed 3x in the last 12 months. As an added benefit, it makes me think twice before I buy something which keeps me from robbing myself.

If I do need to charge something, I use my regular credit card since it keeps someone from draining my checking account.

-Mike

Usually it seems to happen at gas stations around here. Also ATM machines are bad about it as well. I've always heard to just keep an eye out for anything that looks fishy. Most stores here just have the debit machine you use to swipe your own card. I will say I have been lucky and have never been hit, but then I live in a small town where it probably just isn't worth their time.

Rider Fan

Sorry to hear of your troubles...

Yes here in the Uk when that happens the Banks do inform the victims where the fraud took place

and usually are advised to report that crime to the Police so that the banks then can deal with the victim by reimbursing while the fraud is investogated by the bansk and the Cops. {also they do give you a call if they think the transactiosn that is taking place is fraud..Last night I tried to use MY debit card to top up My cell phone credit ...it was declined ..I had not used the debit card to do that for a while so they declined it and then the Bank called ME to ask if I had tried to use it..I confirmed it and said Yes but it was another 24 hours before they would let ME use it just for security sake which was and is FINE with ME }

And I personally use cash or credit cards {if I don't have any money on ME} when I have to go to a store to buy anything..credit cards compnaies will easily reimburse the money that you have been conned out of and then deal with the crime ...

I have also been known to try and push, pull,{ gently of course..}and make sure that the ATM machines are not false..{ the part that has the keys and where you place/insert the cardf ih etc }You'd know if it the ATM was false and placed by the crooks as they stick it on top of the real and can come off easily so I always check it every inch of the ATM before I use MY debot/credit card on it..I do look like some freak doing that But I want to make sure that some crook has not placed a falsie ATM on top of the real taking details of pin numbers etc...

I know you cannot always have cash on you but sme of these crooks are getting quite brash and cocky... :bandhead2:

Hope you work it out and get your money back..and find out where the money was taken...Have you checked your bank statement to see which ARE YOUR REAL LEGITMATE transactions , and those that you do not recognise as having used at those places, then those are the FRAUDLENT ones.THIS THEN should help you ..as you know each Bank has its own BANK SORT CODE{ 6 digits in UK},these inform the BANK where THAT tranasctions took place and which city, town etc...

shame that it is always the HONEST DECENT man that loses out... grrr

Good LUCK

HOLMES <_<

Hi there.

Just to be clear, I didn't lose any money... this time anyway. I just found I couldn't pay for my coffee this morning. Which turned out to be fairly embarrassing considering the line up behind me of impatient people that hadn't had their coffee yet.

The previous time this happened I did have quite a significant amount pulled from my account. Including $800 from a sushi place of all things... who eats that much raw fish!?!?!? But the bank here was really good and they had all my money back into my account by the end of the day.

I think the banks are doing the right thing, the issue that I have is that it's impossible to find out where this is happening so you can avoid it.