Wow! Perfect stripes! Is there a trick to keeping them in line?

Doing the striping isn't too bad. I first needed references for the layout. This was generously provided by Exhausted, he sent me a pic of a 1/48 decal sheet that i blew up to 1/32. With that the layout was easy. First thing i did was lay down a strip of tape of the proper width (3mm) as the base point. I then used another strip of tape the same width to set the spacing. Did this by butting one strip against the other. Did this for the entire tail. Remove and place the spacer as you go. A short tutorial.

Using 6mm tapes, i laid one down, then the spacer beside, then mask, and so on. I didn't use new tape as spacer on the Mustang, just recycled the same piece over and over.

IMG_2238.jpg

Next i remove the spacers,

IMG_2239.jpg

paint and remove masks.

IMG_2242.jpg

Fairly simple to do. Did the same basic method to do the border stripe on the Mustang. I used JammyDog tape to do the masking.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

Then masked areas behind and in front and painted

IMG_2240.jpg

Unmask and result

IMG_2243.jpg

I'm very impressed at what you've done. At first I thought printing your own decals would have been the best bet, but your laborious masking paid off! Even that the vertical stripe is slightly darker than the diagonals is very realistic. It was an absolute privilege to assist. :)

I'm very impressed at what you've done. At first I thought printing your own decals would have been the best bet, but your laborious masking paid off! Even that the vertical stripe is slightly darker than the diagonals is very realistic. It was an absolute privilege to assist. :)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! I was thinking about printing decals, but after blowing up and adjusting the percentages, i couldn't get the layout right. Probably because the original decals wern't for the 1/32 Trumpeter. What i did was cut the parts out and lay them on the areas i wanted masked. These gave the the correct angles and spacing. I did have to do some adjusting here and there but in the end i'm happy with the way they turned out. The vertical stripe i'm pretty sure is blue, but i did have a bottle of black right beside it..... Pic of the templates i used.

IMG_2246.jpg

Tonight i was able to finally finish all painting. The Olive Drab was from Testors Acryl. I like the looks of their version compared to the Tamiya version. I started weathering by overspraying the OD by lightening OD with yellow, then spraying it on in a random pattern. Tomorrow i'll start in with paint chipping, then clearcoating everything in prep for decals and wash. Couple overall pics.

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Don

Tonight i applied all the decals. The Hussar decals are printed by Cartograph and work really well. Over a gloss finish, they shrunk down and settled into all panel lines. Couple of spots will need setting solution. Haven't seen a picture of the real thing, but i think the nose art is a little oversize. Couple pics for the night.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Hope to put a coat of clear gloss on tomorrow night, then on to weathering!!

Don

Time for an update. Over the last few days i sealed the decals and did a wash with Pro Modeller wash. This afternoon i did a flat coat over everything, still have to do some more weathering with oils and Mig Pigments. A few pics that show where it is now.

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2258-1.jpg

IMG_2257-1.jpg

Will do more tonight.

Don

Milestone today. Last night i glued the mains and tailwheel in, this morning the build is on all three. Stil have some small stuff to do, should have the build done either today or tomorrow.

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

Don