That is pretty much what we are doing. I don't know the exact mix off-hand, but the current mix of BDEs is mostly Srtyker and Light Infantry. You still need the capability with Heavy BDEs though, that is why we still have them. Also, any near-peer conflict will require more than just a few Heavy BDEs.

I haven't read up on the most recent re-orgs, not sure how many armor brigades are left, sounds like the cuts are deeper than I thought.

I'm just a bit skeptical about any assumptions that the next war will be just like the last and as such, we really don't need a significant legacy groundforce. The US has a pretty bad track record of forecasting their next conflict and typically find themselves well prepared to fight the last war, not so ready for the next one.

Time will tell....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is the comma after the www deliberate?

Even being a Marine tank commander I never built that many tank models for some reason, none since the M1A1HC Iraq 2003 (got out in 2004 anyway). My modeling interest has kicked up a bit mostly limited to aircraft and science fiction but I would like a shelf of Abrams, as well. Is Dragon the best? Or does this Tamiya fare well in retrospect?

Dragon's M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP are still the best.

Tamiya missed the mark on this one with sloppy work by not updating it with features which are standard on the Dragon kits like anti-slip coating, mud release holes on the sprockets, vinyl tracks, metal barrel, PE, etc., etc., etc.

Stick with the Dragon ones and you will not be dissapointed.

Edited by HeavyArty

Ok, sounds like a plan. Does the AIM have USMC parts or are there accessory and/or aftermarket parts for it? Or is there a quality FEP version?

Edited by Uxi

There are no USMC parts in the Dragon AIM kit. Voyager does a couple great USMC update/conversion sets though.

USMC Abrams Basic set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voyager-model-1-35-PE35430-Modern-USMC-M1A1-Abrams-Basic-For-TAMIYA-35369-/321086638727?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ac2414a87

Current USMC Abrams w/TUSK in A'stan set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voyager-model-1-35-PE35417-Modern-USMC-M1A1-TUSK1-Abrams-Basic-For-DRAGON-3535-/320902869332?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ab74d3154

They both say for Tamiya, but will fit the Dragon kits just fine.

Yeah the PE35417 looks very nice. Almost doubles the price of the kit but I guess that's the price for accuracy. :D Gonna have to do it after I paint my OIF1 hog.

Another option is to buy the D sprue out Tamiya's M1A2 OIF kit from Tamiya USA. They go for about $5 a sprue plus $5 shipping. It has the USMC-specific parts and some other parts that are nice to dress up older Abrams kits.

Tamiya USA

Scroll to the bottom for a contact number. It is kit #35269, sprue D.

Edited by HeavyArty

That looks alot more economical, thanks! Maybe I'll do one or two with the Tamiya parts and then do a "hero" version with PE. I gotta put up another shelf in my office. :D

Which Voyager PE sets contain what parts? If I was looking to replicate a USMC FEP tank (equivalent to Army AIMv2), looks like I would want the TUSK 1 belly armor but I'm guessing I would need more than one PE kit... those pictures show a good 5 or 6 PE kits most of which in the styrene is probably fine (gun tube pieces, etc). Hopefully Dragon gets on the ball here and release a complete USMC FEP version.

My old unit in 1st Tanks just got back from Afghanistan earlier this year and I keep in touch with a couple of them. One told me that no tank left the wire without the TUSK belly armor but that was about it while the rest was standard FEP. Even those who went to Fallujah 2 said they only were using pieces (one plt sgt said he was putting most of it on his wing tank and never had the belly armor back then).

Edited by Uxi
  • 2 weeks later...