1-32 P-51D

G'Day All,

So I am thinking of getting a 1-32 P-51D to continue my RAAF Collection. I realise the Tamiya Stang is the kit to have however if I were to do it on a budget would you recommend the Hasegawa or the Dragon kit for an overall nice looking mustang.

Cheers

Cairnsy

I am only familiar with the Dragon Kit. If you search the web you will find out why the world hates this kit so much. Let me suggest that even if you were to accept most of what is wrong with the kit from a surface detail perspective (as this can be chalked up to taste on some level) there are still issues with fit and shape and accuracy beyond that make the Dragon kit a bit of a dog.

That said get the Hasegawa kit as it can't be any worse than the dragon kit and the surface detail is a little more subtle.

Though I must also say that I have been resisting the high price of the Tamiya P-51 and the Spitfire but really these kits are worth every penny and you might thank yourself for accpeting such a choice project. I am saving for one or the other right now and will pounce after christmas....

Zach

Cairnsy, it's been a good couple of years since I built my Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D but I do remember that it was a very pleasant build. As Zach mentioned, the surface treatment is far more subtle. I haven't built the Dragon kit but I've seen them built up at contests. I can't speak for the fit or ease of assembly but yeah, the Dragon surface detail is perhaps a bit over done.

I enjoyed building the Hasegawa offering and the price is great. I have never been one to get aftermarket cockpits but I think if I were to build the Hasegawa version again, I might spring for a resin update set. It just seems to me that whenever you see a Mustang in 1/48 scale, the cockpit is far better detailed than in the Hasegawa 1/32 offering. Mind you, it's NOT BAD! But even to my "could care less" eye, it could use some more accurate details especially when you're doing it in that scale. The area behind the pilot with all the radio, battery and fuel cells is quite prominent underneath that bubble canopy. When I built my Mustang, I just built it straight out of the box since I build 'em and then just put it on the shelf. I'm not peering in them with a pen light every single day. But it I had to improve the Hasegawa Mustang in only one way, it would be in the pilot's seat and everything behind it. (Okay, maybe that's technically two ways.)

In terms of fit, there were no problems whatsoever with the Hasegawa kit. Generally I'm not the biggest fan of Hasegawa but I'm very happy with their Mustang. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick up another one.

I hope this has helped in some way,

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Save yer pennies and invest in the Tamiya Mustang, you'll never be sorry you did. I'd imagine that the newest release(November 2012) would be the one you want as it is the later version of the Mustang with the rocket rails and such.

Both kits have too many inaccurate features to be counted but can end up looking quite nice.

The Dragon kit has a better shape and is the better choice of the two.

The Zoukei-Mura kit isn't cheaper than the Tamiya kit and is far less accurate.

I'm currently build a Dragon mustang, There has been a few bumps in the road with the build. The kit doesn't line up & fit properly but is not a hard fix. Like all build there is filling & sanding and the Dragon kit just requires a little more is all. The detail is a little over board but if your going for just OOB and don't plan on any after market parts I think the Dragon would still be the way to go between the two. Hasagawa makes great kits but just like the Dragon it is not perfect. I'm happy with mine and plan on building a second Dragon in the future, I already purchased the kit.

Good luck & happy modeling,

Ben

Check out Don's Model Works.

They have the Dragon and the Hasegawa and they are both listed for $24.95. Not a bad price for either really.

Link to 1/32 Kits @ Don's Model Works

I have used Don's a few times and they always have great service. Since Don Bennett passed it is just his son Chuck running it so they can take a little while to ship but he is a good guy and I have had good dealings with them.

Zach