waiting for the DACO detail set I made a CF-104

as my 12th 1/48 scale Starfighter kit I choose a camouflaged CF-104 adding BL755 bombs and racks from Belcher Bits and Leading Edge decals.

10di52b.jpg

9860s9.jpg

paints are a mix of Gunze and Tamiya colours

317b9xe.jpg

C-2 seat and details for the canopy come from Cutting Edge resins

ahjo.jpg

mw642o.jpg

I'm sorry most of the photos are without the sliding part of the canopy but I finished it while the sun was setting hense the yellow light in one of the photos

28lgroy.jpg

Nice looking CF-104. What paints did you use?

Those who don't like critiques, please look away now. :P

My critique is mainly on the alignment of some parts. 1. The tip tanks are drooped. The horizontal fin on the tank should be aligned with the wing. 2. The left main gear is out of alignment causing the tire to be canted. 3. The left wing pylon is mounted at 90 degrees from the wing. It should be perpendicular to the ground. 4. Left wing leading Edge Flap is lowered while the right one is not. This won't ever happen on the real aircraft. 5. Decals misaligned counter clockwise on the left side. 6. The BL-755's are mounted with the fins vertical. The BL-755 on the pylons should have the fins diagonal and the centre bomb should be off vertical slightly.

This one's not really a critique but you have the link ejector installed. The CF-104 in Canadian service didn't use the link ejector.

End critique.

I see that you removed the IR detector on the forward canopy frame. Very few builders of the CF-104 get this right. I love the colours you used and the weathering. You definitely captured the look of the CF-104 in its late CAF service life.

Cheers,

John