Classic Airframe F-5A VNAF Freedom Fighter

Moving onto the lenses. The round lenses are just stretch sprue. I just drilled out the holes and slide the tapered sprue in til it fit tightly in the holes and cut off the stem at the top and bottom surface of the wings. I did the onther lenses the similar way. The square ones are a little tricky, but was done the same way.

IMG_2763_zps2ab3e72f.jpg

Looking great :)/>

Beautiful build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for your comments guys. I'd say it's in the 9th inning stretch. Just working on the fussy canopy. Add the gun barrels, and some final paint touch ups. Stay tune.

TrietMCam

The gun barrels were stainless steel tubes. I used a candle to heat them until red hot. Once they were cool down, they will have a burned metallic look.

At the beginning of the build, I made a wall behind the barrels so that when the barrels slide in, they would had supports and won't fall inside the fuselage.

IMG_2775_zps14b7a155.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the lighting, but the model is done. The last thing was to flatten the tires, and some small touch ups. For some reason, when uploaded to photobucket, it looked slightly blurry. Not entirely sure why, on my desktop, the pics are much sharper.

IMG_2781_zpsa7343519.jpg

IMG_2783_zpsf77d7b02.jpg

Well, this is the finale. Here is the recap:

. The model took about 5 months to complete, on and off.

. It was mostly built out of box, including kit decals.

. I added the bombs from spare box; the napalm was shoe-horn from the Monogram A-37B fuel tanks, with some scratch built fins.

. Center line fuel tank was made from the gun pods from the Revell F-5E kit.

. A lot of sanding, especially, the trailing edges of the wings, rudder, stabilizers, to thin them out

. Resins parts were nicely cast, but required a lot of putty, and sanding.

. The resin canopy riser mechanisms did not looked real, but I did not mind. It's not a distraction since it's quite busy in that area.

. Added a lot of wiring and hoses around the wheel wells, and cockpit.

. Rescribed many panel line mistakes on the kit.

. Added closeouts at the tail end surrounding the exhaust cones. This kit was bare blank.

Overall, the kit has accurate shape when done, but required lots extra resources and patience to finish. Hope you enjoy my build and thanks for checking out.

Cheers

Triet

Edited by trietmcam