Identifying UH-60M from -60L

What are the external differences?

Single biggest identifier is that the blade chord has increased by 1.75 inches and the tips are feathered down and rearwards. UH-60M commonly have an upturned exhaust however that may not always be the case.

Chris M

As Chris says, the exhaust diffusers are not an M-specific feature. Actually, most don't have them. They can be added to any Black Hawk.

All Ms do have the square, folding tail though, along with the above mentioned rotor blade differences. The rest of the differences are internal, such as upgraded engines, gearboxes, and avionics; an all glass IP; new pilots'/crew and troop seats that are more crash-worthy; the step fairing under the pilots' doors are also a different shape; and some other small items.

1621868.jpg

1610794.jpg

Gunners' seats

2654510818_d8fb45ca38.jpg

Glass IP

2621149433_15dfccd8fc.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The UH-60's have the square shaped stabilators like the spec ops birds. They also have no crew chief sliding windows, there all walled and faired in. The cockpit is all MFD's or "glass cockpit". The FLIR is mounted on an extension fairing at the lower tip of the nose and the rear window on the cargo doors are bubbled out. Most but not all M models have the UES or upturned exhaust systems.

HTH

Gino, beat me to the keyboard so ignore my comments!

Edited by hawkwrench

Your talking about the HH-60M not the regular UH-60M. It is the only one without crewchief windows, all the others have them. Erick

The UH-60's have the square shaped stabilators like the spec ops birds. They also have no crew chief sliding windows, there all walled and faired in. The cockpit is all MFD's or "glass cockpit". The FLIR is mounted on an extension fairing at the lower tip of the nose and the rear window on the cargo doors are bubbled out. Most but not all M models have the UES or upturned exhaust systems.

HTH

Gino, beat me to the keyboard so ignore my comments!

As Chris says, the exhaust diffusers are not an M-specific feature. Actually, most don't have them. They can be added to any Black Hawk.

Is this really the case? Are they retrofitting earlier L models with the new exhaust diffuser?

As far as the M-model, I though only the early production helos had the older style exhaust and then it was replaced by the new style?

All US Blackhawks coming off the assembly line have the new UES..

The return of the "toilet bowl"! Guess all those Hueys had it right after all :)/>

Would be nice to see a 1/35 M-conversion, with the UES. Especially since I thought I read that the Academy kits' old style IR suppressors are hopelessly out of proportion / position.

BTW, in the pictures of the early Mike above, the paint seems to be more brownish than the usual CARC. Is it just the lighting or are new Blackhawks wearing different colors when they come off the line?

Edited by 11bee

Sounds like some helo modelers need to get together like Floyd and others to make a Mike model conversion set. I'm willing to help, we just need some more guys. Erick, Gino, Norbert just off the top of my head, how bout it?

I have made most of the interior in fashion similar to other work I have done. The other crew seats are a work in progress and now I learn they are no longer correct...... I made blade tips to retro fit onto the kit blades but the blades remain the same in width. 1.75" in 1/35th scale is miniscule and resin blades droop. Not going there. The UES is difficult, two tries have not resulted in satisfactory recreation or casting. Random photos is not enough and offers of help never materialized. Without on top of it photos and measurements, sifting through internet photos just doesn't deliver what is needed.

Chris M

Erick, shoot me am Email of any UES pics you've got and ill take a look at seeing what I can do about making them

My Email address: helodoctor282@gmail.com

So in order to create a 1/35 UH-60 detail set here's what's needed according to this thread:

1) New instrument panel and console.

2) new crew seats (pics needed)

3) Upturned exhausts

4) New landing gear sponsons (pics needed)

5) New down turned rotor blade tips

6) Square stabilator (like spec ops)

That looks like it. Erick, if there's anything else missing, just fill in the blanks. Might as well get the ball rolling on this if we want to model any UH-60M's huh!

Erick, shoot me am Email of any UES pics you've got and ill take a look at seeing what I can do about making them

So in order to create a 1/35 UH-60 detail set here's what's needed according to this thread:

3) Upturned exhausts

That looks like it. Erick, if there's anything else missing, just fill in the blanks. Might as well get the ball rolling on this if we want to model any UH-60M's huh!

If you want to include everything needed to turn the base Academy UH-60L into an M, you would also need to provide all the updated ASE equipment now carried. I think Cobra already has this in resin (not sure if they included the extra flare buckets or just the sensors).

One other thing that I have noticed is that the steps on the side of the fuselage do not seem to be covered by doors on the M. If you look through the windows of the cabin doors, you can see the holes where the doors used to be.

Erik, am I correct in this?

mason

Edited by doupnik

I have no idea if these will help, but I took them of a UH-60M at Ft. Rucker's Hanchey AAF in 2011. I do think it has the newer crewchief seats described by Erick. Feel free to use them, share them or whatever you like. This bird is, of course, a trainer. Full set of images can be found HERE.

Ray

UH-60M68_zpsc37f3320.jpg

UH-60M48_zpsd4d74993.jpg

UH-60M46_zpsaf3b6da9.jpg

UH-60M47_zps820677b3.jpg

UH-60M45_zps13400bcb.jpg

UH-60M28_zps7967c829.jpg

UH-60M77_zpsf29f773c.jpg

UH-60M60_zps22db4f99.jpg

UH-60M17_zps2f2db6d1.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Yes you are correct, not sure why the deleted the covers maybe they figured it didnt do much of anything to help with drag not sure. Erick

One other thing that I have noticed is that the steps on the side of the fuselage do not seem to be covered by doors on the M. If you look through the windows of the cabin doors, you can see the holes where the doors used to be.

Erik, am I correct in this?

mason

3) Upturned exhausts

The other thing not mentioned is that besides the downturned blade tips the blades are wider chordwise.

Floyd