Which Tomcat squadron is this?

Hey, gents. I remember seeing this video when I was in my teens and just recently found it on youtube. My question is, what squadron does the jet in the opening sequence belong to? When looking through the camera mounted on the port vertical stabilizer while approaching the ship (at 00:19), you can see a rectangular yellow stripe painted on the black bandit stripe (or skunk stripe, if you go that way). I'm fairly familiar with Tomcat paint schemes, but this one has me at a loss. Any ideas?

I had heard the Gypsy callsign in the audio and simply assumed it did not belong to the original video. But, I think you're right. It looks like one of the original schemes for the Swordsmen. Thanks.

The callsign Gypsy 206 is from VF-32.

That yellow box on the aft end of the skunk stripe was typical of theirs and VF-21's markings back in the day. I'm not sure I've ever seen an 84 jet with it, but Henk could very well be right.

I have to correct myself , watching the whole video , now I think this Tomcat is a Ghostrider , VF-142 , during the video you see more Ghostriders and the lightning bolt on the flight helmet points to the lightning bolt on the Vert Stab of the Early VF-142 scheme.

But as my previous entry could be wrong so could be this ..............

Henk

Edited by sundowner

I have an old book that shows aircrew from the VF-74 Be-Devilers wearing yellow helmets with a white lightning bolt on it, like the one in the video. But I'm not sure that the video clip that shows the helmet is of the same aircraft that is shown with the skunk stripe. It looks to me like they switch video clips at 00:30.

Just my non-expert analysis... :)

Jeff

I have to correct myself , watching the whole video , now I think this Tomcat is a Ghostrider , VF-142 , during the video you see more Ghostriders and the lightning bolt on the flight helmet points to the lightning bolt on the Vert Stab of the Early VF-142 scheme.

But as my previous entry could be wrong so could be this ..............

Henk

I saw that too. I also think this film is a compilation of several archive footages with radio chatter added in.

FeetDry also brings up a solid point. VF-74's helmets also had the lightening bolts as shown.

This kinda stuff can drive a tomcat fanatic nuts at times, especially the noobs..lol

This kinda stuff can drive a tomcat fanatic nuts at times, especially the noobs..lol

You're absolutely right!!!

I had a second look at the video and tried to locate some photos in various books that I have about this matter, and NOW I'm more confused!!!

Though, I must say that I can't remember having seen VF-74 pilots 'wearing' lightnings on their helmets.

I also agree with VFA-103guy, the film must be a compilation of several archive footages.

VF-74 received Tomcats after the Hi-Vis era was over and the Lo-Vis era was in full effect though ...

I believe this film pre-dates VF-21's Tomcat stand up as well ...

-Gregg