Brian Shul and the SR-71

Since the "Nature Photography" debate seems to have taken over this thread, I thought that I would add my 2 cents worth.

I’ve seen many remarkable nature photographs over the years but this photo of a nesting Falcon is perhaps the most remarkable nature shot that I’ve ever seen. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Nature is truly breath-taking!

http://i.imgur.com/YW6Fufm.jpg

In case that link doesn't work, scroll down.

"Falcon Nesting In Tree"photographer, unknown

FalconinTree_zps097e2a48.jpg

Might have worded my reply a bit poorly when it comes to the locked knees debate.

I'm perfectly aware that it happens, but the comment that "Anyone that stands at attention with both legs fully rigid will faint" made me post what I did...as this clearly isn't the case.

Still find it strange that they want you to stand with bent knees, *** out and elbows out and bent...and still call it attention. As I said...lots of push ups if I had tried even one of those "offenses".

We knew passing out was a possibility, but that was one of the hazards of the job...along with getting shot at occasionally.

1/72, naturally. :)/>

Spoken like a man of excellent taste. ;)

In Gentlemen's Scale, hi-viz VF-1 decals are, for starters, included in Hasegawa's #00544 and 00793, Academy's #12504 and CAM-Decals sheet CAM72-021.

Cheers,

Andre

I'm perfectly aware that it happens, but the comment that "Anyone that stands at attention with both legs fully rigid will faint" made me post what I did...as this clearly isn't the case.

"locked" and "rigid" may be a difference lost in translation here.

Still find it strange that they want you to stand with bent knees, *** out and elbows out and bent...and still call it attention. As I said...lots of push ups if I had tried even one of those "offenses".

Like I said, by the book its not perfect, its him doing everything a tad to the extreme, which most don't mind. as Eddie said, its him taking his job seriously. I like that, and odds are there are bigger daily problems at hand on a CVN.

We knew passing out was a possibility, but that was one of the hazards of the job...along with getting shot at occasionally.

I know not everyone can be hard corps enough to pass out in formation but we tended to laugh and make of people who did. If that's a hazard that is easily avoided it should be.

The ultimate summation for the ages on COL Richard Graham USAF, Ret. - a firsthand quote from one who knew him intimately, his own backseater in Vietnam:

"Rich Graham was a pompous arse back when he was a Captain!"

I am curious as to where you got that quote? Actually, most fighter pilots are very self confident, sometimes called, "stuck on themselves, pompous, conceited," etc. A lot of that attitude is a requirement to survive in their combat world. If a combat pilot has doubts about his abilities and lacks self confidence, he is meat on the table for the bad guy pilots. I don't mean this to be disrespectful to pilots, in fact, I have the utmost respect for them.

Darwin

I am curious as to where you got that quote? Actually, most fighter pilots are very self confident, sometimes called, "stuck on themselves, pompous, conceited," etc. A lot of that attitude is a requirement to survive in their combat world. If a combat pilot has doubts about his abilities and lacks self confidence, he is meat on the table for the bad guy pilots. I don't mean this to be disrespectful to pilots, in fact, I have the utmost respect for them.

Darwin

Say... you don't think this whole disagreement is because you have a couple of egotistical personalities that both believe they are telling the truth and are correct, do you?

:whistle:

thats why this has been so funny to watch. "I showed person A what person B thinks and Person A still thinks Person B is wrong"... shocking. 2 men who have been convinced of something for decades are having a hard time agreeing all of the sudden?

Next thing you know you will start hearing about how not everyone can agree with music, politics, sports, or religion.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Say... you don't think this whole disagreement is because you have a couple of egotistical personalities that both believe they are telling the truth and are correct, do you?

That is not what I meant. You are putting words in my mouth. My comment about pilots' attitudes was meant to question the quote about Rich Graham's attitude when he was an F-4 pilot. One, whether it was an accurate quote or not and two, even if true, does that automatically make Graham the bad guy in the SR-71/Major Shul debate?

Colonel Graham and General Halloran were stating the fact that Major Shul WAS dismissed from the program as a pilot and explaining why that happened. Apparently, their explanation is subject to disagreement as to the facts involved. Actually, I don't recall Major Shul or Captain Watson denying the "dismissal event" or even the reasons for it.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

That is not what I meant. You are putting words in my mouth. My comment about pilot's attitudes was meant to question the quote about Rich Graham's attitude when he was an F-4 pilot. One, whether it was an accurate quote or not and two, even if true, does that automatically make Graham the bad guy in the SR-71/Major Shul debate?

Colonel Graham and General Halloran were stating the fact that Major Shul WAS dismissed from the program as a pilot and explaining why that happened. Apparently, their explanation is subject to disagreement as to the facts involved. Actually, I don't recall Major Shul or Captain Watson denying the "dismissal event" or even the reasons for it.

Darwin

It was all in jest. :thumbsup:

• 6 years later...

Brian Shul landed in a burning military jet, had to crawl out across the wing of the burning jet that burned him and required 17 surgeries. He had to endure much pain and meet strict requirement to achieve flight status and be accepted into the SR-71 program as a pilot. He flew over Libya to do bomb damage assessment and had to evade a missile that was tracking their aircraft during this flight in which he commented that he increased the speed to accomplish the mission instead of turning off track. He submitted several books on the SR-71. He then authored a book for the Air Force Thunderbirds in which he flew with them during a demonstration flight. Later, the Navy Blue Angels were impressed with his book with the USAF Thunderbirds and requested that he also author a book with them to show how their precision flight was so impressive. He also flew with them for a demonstration flight.  I worked with Brian and Walter at Beale when they were flying there. Brian represented the USAF and the SR-71 in many speaking tours around the country. Everyone who heard him in these tours were very impressed with him and thought his books that he produced were of honorable and professional quality. Colonel Watson taught at a college after retiring from the Air Force. Major Shul is a fine photographer, has a book store, has taken excellent photos, and has been an outstanding roll model representing his flight career as noted.

• 3 years later...

Great insight to the Brian Shul story probably mostly true but i am thank full he did get all those photograph's regardless he has shown the SR71 as a even greater plane, having read his story from Vietnam to today he was a brave man his burn's where horrendous but he went on to great things also having met him in person he's a gentleman its a shame he is badgered by lots of people and as i said the photo's he took regardless of the so called issues they haven a greater insight.