Spray gun vs Airbrush

Spray guns (not as in pistol grip, trigger action airbrushes) are fine for larger areas, but generally lay down far too much paint for scale modelling, even compact touch up guns lay down a fair amount of paint in comparison to an airbrush.

The majority of spray guns are fan pattern & their air consumption is high in comparison to an airbrush, most smaller airbrush compressors not being able to provide enough air flow for proper operation.

ACZ,

My 2 cents: I agree with Toadwbg. In time, get a better brush. That brush that you have should be okay for area coverage. As you continue on in the hobby you will likely want to move on to a top feed brush like the Iwata CS as shown. There are brushes from Badger, Grex, Paasche, Iwata, Harder and Steenbeck, cheap knock offs etc etc etc. This is just some info for later on, when you decide to move up.

The top feed brushes with properly thinned model paints allow for lower air pressure, less over spray, better control and easy(usually) clean up. Gravity is doing the work for you..pulling the paint into the brush rather than having to bump the air pressure to get the paint moving.

So save some pennies and in time you will be able to get a better top feed brush. We all have our favorites here, and what works for us.

A good single action airbrush has it's benefits; I use mine to apply blanket coverage such as future/klear, clear gloss/dullcote finishes, or overall single color painting such as ADC gray on a Delta Dart, and only for that kind coverage. It saves time and I get a more even overall layer. More refined paints (Alclad II,etc) get the DA treatment.