I asked this in the airliner forum, but thought I'd post here as well (hope that's okay)

Planning a gear-up desktop model for my dad of a North Central Airlines DC-3. Not sure if the Minicraft or the Roden is the better approach.

Also, I know one of the Minicraft releases has two engine choices, the P&W and Wright. Not knowing the DC-3 well, would anyone know what the North Central DC-3's had?

Thanks!

The new Roden kit is definitely the best, but also the most expensive. If you don't want to drop the extra coin, the Minicraft kit should be fine for your purposes..the worst part of that kit is the landing gear, which you won't be using anyway. I don't think the kit offers different engines though. Every kit I've ever seen in any scale of the DC-3/C-47 came with twin-row P&W R-1830s. I've never seen a kit offered with the single-row Wright R-1820s

I did a quick Google Image Search of North Central DC-3s, and all the results had the Wright engines. If you want to be picky and make a conversion, you could rob a couple of engines from a B-17.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Well, I was able to find one that was affordable on eBay; total price including shipping was about $19.

About the Wrights, I haven't been able to find the site again, but somewhere I did run across a dual-engine type release; might have been the Lindberg special release or something....

EDIT: Found the reference to the kit: http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Minicraft__FAA_DC-3_N34.php

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

See my detailed answer over in your other post. It's a little harder to build but I recommend the Minicraft kit because you can build a Wright powered plane right out of the box.

Most folks won't know or notice the minute size errors in this kit.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/november/first-looks/dc_3.php

Tom

The MC kit doesn't have Wright engines. Far from "minute size errors" the MC kit is rife with major errors of shape, proportion, dimension, and detail. Considering you're talking about a few $ difference, the Roden kit is far and away a better choice.

I have to admit I'd never examied the MC kit that closely, but after checking that review, the undersized tail is rather noticeable... probably best to go with the Roden, and scrounge some Wright engines somewhere.

I just dug my MC DC-3 out of The Stash, and discovered it's an older issue that only includes the P&W engines. The sprue shots of the newer release shows the larger-diameter cowls for the Wrights, but the only actual engines are the P&Ws, which would have too few cylinders for the Wrights (on the visible front row, that is.)

SN

Edited by Steve N

The MC kit doesn't have Wright engines.

Jennings my friend, the later issues of the MC kit have both engines and cowl options. Follow the link in my post above and you can see just how small the dimensional differences are in the tail.

For the purpose of the OP's build the MC kit will be the easier to build as an airliner. He's going to have to do a lot of filling, sanding and re-scribing on the cargo door on the Roden kit to get it back to an airliner. And then he still doesn't have Wright engines and nacelles.

He's going to have to do a lot of filling, sanding and re-scribing on the cargo door on the Roden kit to get it back to an airliner. And then he still doesn't have Wright engines and nacelles.

Greetings!

Actually, no, he won't. The Roden kit has been issued as a DC-3 (as I mentioned on his other post) with a passenger door on the left side (TWA markings). He can modify the cowlings far easier than he can fix the numerous faults in the MC kit.

I believe that the MC kit is so bad that the Roden kit is the best choice, but that's just MHO.

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Greetings!

Modify or make new ones, either way, would still result in a lot nicer looking model, especially in 1/144 scale, and with a minimum of effort.

The Wright cowlings are parallel sided because it's a much bigger diameter engine than the R-1830 is, and that means plastic (or brass) tubing of the proper diameter could be used to make a Wright cowling. There were a few types of Wright cowlings, and the North Central airplanes had the cowlings with cowl flaps.

The Wright R-1820 packed its displacement into a single row of nine cylinders while the R-1830 had two rows of seven, thus a much smaller diameter engine and cowling. If you ever see and hear a DC-3 from a distance, you'll know which engine it has. The Wright engines are much louder and throatier sounding, somewhat like the R-985 engine, and they make a chugging sound when idling.

When I was in Daytona at ERAU in the early 1970's, Mr. Willman at Trans Florida Airlines told me he preferred the Wright R-1820 simply based on the cost of parts and overhauls. Both engines were pretty reliable. I watched the launch of the last Apollo moon mission from one of his DC-3's in the middle of the night. We were in the air more than four hours because of launch delays, but that ride was well worth the $10.00 I paid!

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Greetings!

Actually, no, he won't. The Roden kit has been issued as a DC-3 (as I mentioned on his other post) with a passenger door on the left side (TWA markingsRegards,

Jeff Jarvis

Sorry, I missed that, good point.

018_zps41d6bdf0.jpg

old! old! 1/100 Entex kit.

Jeez, but that's nice...the world just isn't the same without Herman the Goose flying. I have very fond memories of flying their DC-9's and 727's in their final days before becoming Republic...and even then Herman was still flying.

Greetings!

Oh-oh............ Looks like Roden has the props backwards.......... Please....tell me it's an optical illusion!

But, no, it is not an illusion. I checked one of my kits, and the props are molded backwards so they would spin the wrong way. This is really a bonehead mistake on what is otherwise a pretty nice kit. Unbelievable!

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Edited by Jeff Jarvis