Hasegawa F-104G To "A"

Hey all you jet experts. I am thinking about builds for the upcoming NASA group build and ran across this photo: http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/F-104/Large/ET60-00056.jpg

It is an F-104A in some really cool markings and some rather unique features. I have a 1/48 scale Hasegawa F-104G kit, if it's possible, what would it take to externally modify this back to an A like in the picture? If it's too much, I do have the Victory Productions NASA f-104 sheet so I can use the kit as is. But I like the looks of this particular plane.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bill

In 1/48 the tail would be the biggest problem. The A tail is much smaller then on the G/CF-104. Another big thing will be the ejection seat. Unless your kit comes with the CF-104/F-104J style.

Cockpit itself will have many differences but I can not give detail on that. Airframe itself the differences are mostly internal.

Would also think differences in the main wheels and not having the bulged landing gear doors.

it will be in in-flight or at least landing config so I'm not overly worried about the cockpit with exception of maybe the seat, I would like that to appear correct. I've tried to find line drawing or something that could show the tail differences but to no avail. Anyone have an idea of how much cutting it would take? The wheels and landing gear door I think I could tackle but not sure about the tail. Since I have the G that's what I want to use.

Thanks again everyone.

Bill

Maybe this will help.

F-104.jpg

That does help a lot! Thanks. If these are pretty accurate, it doesn't appear like a major problem. It looks like the G tail just adds material at the point where the A tail stopped. In theory I could just cut on that panel line, thin down the edge and rescribe the panel lines. Other than that and a few panels here and there, they appear mostly the same. Also it looks like the belly fin is slightly different but again nothing major. Any other thoughts?

Bill

Also a question about that particular plane in the pic I posted. It appears the right wing (far wing in pic) is not the same color as the left one, anyone have other pics of what that side would looks like? Is it all natural metal? Also, is that just a paint on the "black" wing or was the wing and nose made of a different material for testing? I also like how there isn't a nose pitot tube, but there is one on the wing. Very unique looking plane.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hey all you jet experts. I am thinking about builds for the upcoming NASA group build and ran across this photo: http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/F-104/Large/ET60-00056.jpg

It is an F-104A in some really cool markings and some rather unique features. I have a 1/48 scale Hasegawa F-104G kit, if it's possible, what would it take to externally modify this back to an A like in the picture? If it's too much, I do have the Victory Productions NASA f-104 sheet so I can use the kit as is. But I like the looks of this particular plane.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Here's a list of external modifications needed to make an F-104G into an early "A".

1. Vertical stab size reduction and profile change to aft fuselage.

2. Engine exhaust nozzle. Long nozzle to short nozzle.

3. Heat exchanger outlet. Single outlet to dual staggered outlet.

4. Narrow wheels and tires with older style wheels.

5. Flat (non bulged) forward main landing gear doors

6. Strengthening plates on sides of forward fuselage.

7. Nose gear doors. Not angled at forward edge.

8. Gun port faired over.

9. C1 downward ejection seat.

10. Air Conditioning inlet. NACA scoop instead of late style rectangular scoop.

11. No single point refueling. Changes some panels on the left side of the fuselage.

It would be a lot easier to start out with an F-104C kit than to make the changes to a "G" kit.

Here is a photo of the same aircraft from the starboard side.

F-104A #734

Cheers,

John