Alclad II Fine Gray Primer and microfiller

• 4 weeks later...

Alcad II isn't like airbrushing paints. Prep is everything.

For prep work make sure that all your putty work has been sealed with thin CA glue. Then sand lightly with 600 wet. Polish the whole model in stages: 4,000/6,000/8,000/,12,000. It should be smooth and very shiny. Now you prime. I use either Alcad Gloss Black or Model Master Semi gloss Black. Let it dry for several days to a full week. Then polish the black primer. Now you're ready to spray the Alcad II. Don't thin it as it's already at the proper consistency. Make sure that you have proper ventilation, this stuff is toxic. I use a mask and a home made spray booth. 12-15 psi(really depends on your painting setup), and stay about 6 inches from the model. Keep the gun moving. Light even coats to build up the surface.

I would really advise you to practice 1st. If you have a scrap fuselage or wing use them. If not, buy the cheapest model you can find.

I also use their sealer, not Future/Pledge.

Gloss black give you the shiniest/smoothest surface. Semi gloss black looks more like oxidized aluminum. Gray cuts the depth of the shine down, and the metalizer just isn't as metallic looking, but still looks like oxidized metal.

You can mix and match for nearly an unlimited color range. Like everything else, practice makes perfect.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron: If you are doing a BMF, the best Gloss Black primer is Tamiya TS-14 in the rattle can. I cut a 3" length of drinking straw and tape it to the nozzle then decant directly to the airbrush paint cup. Let it gas-off for a few minutes then airbrush onto the model at 12 psi.

This stuff dries fast, smooth and glossy.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Aaron: If you are doing a BMF, the best Gloss Black primer is Tamiya TS-14 in the rattle can. I cut a 3" length of drinking straw and tape it to the nozzle then decant directly to the airbrush paint cup. Let it gas-off for a few minutes then airbrush onto the model at 12 psi.

This stuff dries fast, smooth and glossy.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

The Tamiya paint in the aerosol can is lacquer based, and of course pre-thinned. You would be better off price & time wise to just use the Alcad Black primer which is also lacquer based and pre-thinned. That way you don't have to deal with the decanting process, which can get messy & have those fumes to deal with if you don't cover the container correctly.

Joel

I stand corrected on the Alcad Gloss primer as the back of the bottle says: Contains MIneral Spirits. I've used it a few times and it dried to the touch after a few hours. I lightly polished it after several days with no issues. I did apply it in light even coats rather then one coat right after another.

Joel